Yellow residue under oil cap

New2Audi

Reaction score
Hi folks.

Couldn't find an existing post on my issue already so posting question.

Under my oil cap of Audi A3 1.6, theres a yellow residue. I clean it up and still comes back. Now, I had the oil changed and had emptied cleaner solution inside and left engine running (as it says on the tin). Still no joy.

Any idea what this could be and if it has any effect on engine etc?

Thanks.

Its either due to the car being left for a while so condensation is mixing with the oil leaving that residue or water is getting into the oil somewhere typically a blown headgasket...

Is there the same residue on the dipstick?
After you clean the cap does it come back after a run or only if you have left the car for a little while?
Do you drive the car everyday?

<tuffty/>

As above I used to get it on my old polo which sat in the garage for long periods of times and then did only a short journey.

Cleaning it off and going for a decent run it shouldnt reappear immediately. If it does might be head gasket.

Its either due to the car being left for a while so condensation is mixing with the oil leaving that residue or water is getting into the oil somewhere typically a blown headgasket...

Is there the same residue on the dipstick?
After you clean the cap does it come back after a run or only if you have left the car for a little while?
Do you drive the car everyday?

<tuffty/>

I drive the car every day, roughly 30+ miles. No residue/gunk on dipstick either.

I clean the cap and it comes back, but I don't check it immediately after a run mind you.

I drive the car every day, roughly 30+ miles. No residue/gunk on dipstick either.

I clean the cap and it comes back, but I don't check it immediately after a run mind you.

If you have no gunk around the oil dipstick and no oily residue in the water tank you should be fine. You might notice that it will clear up when the warm weather arrives.

Thanks Westy. Unfortunately, its been going on since last summer, but wasn't a concern then. Now, it builds up quite abit.

I just had my head gasket go on 1.8T. Best check is nip to a garage and ask for a head gasket check. They will test for exhaust fumes in coolant. Sure sign head gasket is gone. Not cheap unless you have a friendly mechanic

Seen this on anS3 recently and it was the breather pipe blocked with gunge .New pipe cured it

Still worth checking the pipes.No more gunge in th S3 now