Lack of Boost.

Nick090884

Reaction score
Hi guys wondering if you could help ?

ive done a scan of my a3 1.8t aum and had a few faults.
mostly misfire , ive read a few post and found out my coil packs were under a recall. had them done the other day and it seems to be better.

the main problem is the malfunction of my N249 valve. when driving i get a fairly loud hissing nosie followed by a noise sounding like a dump valve, so i've checked to see if the donnut that last had the car had put one on and its the standard oem diverter valve top right corner under the engine cover (If im looking in the right place) im a complete newbie to a turbo and dont know where to even start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Last edited:
Post up the fualt codes mate... codes will help work out whats going on..

This will also help...
Category:Fault Codes - Ross-Tech Wiki

By malfunction of the N249 I will assume you got a 'mechanical failure' code? has the N249 been bypassed?

Any other details such as if the engines remapped, other mods etc will help but get the codes up from the scan

<tuffty/>

Hi there tuffty, i will post the fault code asap. its a standard aum , and havent had a N249 bypass. yes the fault i get in vcds is 'mechanical failure' . i will scan with vcds later and post . ive only have the vdcs lite ATM.

Many thanks

Nick

If you haven't done the bypass and you are getting that fault with a std DV then I would imagine the DV is the problem... you should be getting a choo, choo, choo type noise letting off part throttle if the diaphragm has gone... OEM ones are cheap... or get a 007p/008 from Forge

<tuffty/>

That is excatly the noise id say im getting. as im climbing speed under full throttle its like its leaking air from the same part/ area before i get the choo choo choo noise.

cool thanks again <tuffty/> i'll repost after i get my new DV.

Hi there ive been out and scanned the car it came up with a few alarm triggers that i think are old, a fault on the left hand auto level sensor which im not worried about at the moment. and the address 1 for the engine is :

VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.0
Thursday, 12 April 2012, 14:56:50:0

Chassis Type: 8L - Audi A3/S3
Scan: 01,02,03,08,15,16,17,22,35,37,45,55,56,57,75,76

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine Labels: 06A-906-032-AUM.LBL
Controller: 06A 906 032 DK
Component: 1.8L R4/5VT 0001
Coding: 11500
Shop #: WSC 06435
WAUZZZ8LZ1A005994 AUZ7Z0Y1459193
2 Faults Found:
17608 - Boost Pressure Control Valve (N249): Mechanical Malfunction
P1200 - 35-00 - -
17705 - Pressure Drop between Turbo and Throttle Valve (check D.V.!)
P1297 - 35-00 - -
Readiness: 0000 0000

I think <tuffty/> your right. i take it i should change the DV first before doing anything else??? O yeah there no Engine managment on at all hasnt been since ive owned the car. Cheers

Last edited:
Hi ya Peep's.

ive fitted the new DV today got hold of one from a vrs, the loud hissing noise has now gone and the DV is silent rather than sounding like the choo choo choo that was said by <tuffty/>. i still get a small amount of nosie as the turbo spools up, is this right and just the turbo making noise. Also i would like to know if i have a ko3s or ko3 turbo. the power since ive changed the dv doesnt seem any different, would i notice a change or not ??? i know a DV makes no proformance diffrence but thought as the oem one was damage it might. thanks guys.

Aum has the k03s standard unless it's been replaced at some point. I've got a noticeable spool and dump sound since I put a 007p, silicone tip and pipercross panel filter on. Although it wasn't exactly silent in standard form like I've been lead to believe.

As for the faults im not too sure sorry. Check the ross-tech wiki like tuffty suggested

Has the car been mapped? I don't think you would notice the drop in performance if its std...

<tuffty/>

Has the car been mapped? I don't think you would notice the drop in performance if its std...

<tuffty/>

The car is standard, been out for a hour or two it feels nice to drive think its the same just alot quieter im a happy man

nice one <tuffty/> for the advice in the first few post's , and nice one Metro for the details on the turbo. Cambelt belt change and a good service then Modding Time !!!!:beerchug: