Should I wrap my Ming?

Jimgrim77

Reaction score
I've seen Damo's and it's got me thinking about doing it myself.

Could be a good opportunity to change the colour and fresh her up.

I've just been quoted £795 by Bristol Blue Customs, visit their facebook page, to entirely wrap by ming S3.

They are extremely good but I wonder what everyones thoughts are on whether I should have a crack, what pro's and con's I might have, whether I'm making a huge mistake even contemplating it and what colour/finish i should go for.

I cant imagine anything other than black would look good. Anything else would make it look like some kind of day glow promo car.. Still i would not get it done even in black.

Gops...you joker! :) like this you mean:-

Greenwoods Property Centre - Local business - Bristol, United Kingdom | Facebook

Thanks Darren. I was thinking black or white to be honest too...just not sure how either will look on the 8L chassis. Want to retain the chrome RS6 alloys but you never know.

The car is 12 years old and needs some serious detailing. I've also been considering wrapping the lower grills but having just been given a quote for it, i may as well wrap the whole lot if i go down this route hence the query.

My freind does this as a job jim,not sure where,il try and talk to him this week as i have no contact,would be alot cheeper,your choice.

Thanks. I am interested, so please ask away..

What are your thoughts on it...as you've seen mine close up?

I recon you will be messing with it too much, making it look like something far newer than it is. Personally i like a cars OEM and mint but that is just me. Its very subjective of course but i am a from the camp that most cars look worse with aftermarket body alterations and alloys etc.. Anything which gets too close to Max power is out the window imo :) The S3 in most colours with standard RSTT 18s still looks a seriously peachy car ;)

I recon you will be messing with it too much, making it look like something far newer than it is. Personally i like a cars OEM and mint but that is just me. Its very subjective of course but i am a from the camp that most cars look worse with aftermarket body alterations and alloys etc.. Anything which gets too close to Max power is out the window imo :) The S3 in most colours with standard RSTT 18s still looks a seriously peachy car ;)

I agree, for the most part, and appreciate your thoughts on it. I've really like the look of the car and think that I have retained the Audi OEM look but...I'm just thinking of a change to the colour...not the body work.

I don't like the Max Power look at all and like the fact that the S3...like mine, is a sleeper.

I cant imagine anything other than black would look good. Anything else would make it look like some kind of day glow promo car.. Still i would not get it done even in black.

he said vinyl wrap not ram raid halfords

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/127465-project-new-identity.html

black -->> blue

looks good to me

Its up to you jim,as long as the door shuts are done,good job ect!,but you will never get the same shine pearl as paint,and you can't wash wax the same,id say good fix on an expesive car if you wer trying to sale it.yours is fine from what i seen!,(oh dear ocd bug),ive spent 2 grand in two years on paint,so wraping is cheep.like you said sleeper oem though,so less you do more oem,is my opinion!,il speak to my mate though see what different types he can offer!

Its up to you jim,as long as the door shuts are done,good job ect!,but you will never get the same shine pearl as paint,and you can't wash wax the same,id say good fix on an expesive car if you wer trying to sale it.yours is fine from what i seen!,(oh dear ocd bug),ive spent 2 grand in two years on paint,so wraping is cheep.like you said sleeper oem though,so less you do more oem,is my opinion!,il speak to my mate though see what different types he can offer!

I think you've just answered the question for me. I like the shine, I like the colour and just might need to detail and spray the areas that i think need some attention. Be interested in hearing alternative wrap price all the same. Thanks again all.

I think you've just answered the question for me. I like the shine, I like the colour and just might need to detail and spray the areas that i think need some attention. Be interested in hearing alternative wrap price all the same. Thanks again all.
I can always set you up with the person that does the paint on my car,not cheep but good,have a word with him,might be able to mop it over ect,his names jason at jb autos (bristol),or shawn at sos bodywork he's great (keynsham)

really dont see the point in wrapping to be honest, perhaps im missing something here but surely a respray is far better value, has a longer life, harder wearing, etc etc.
what happens if you snag/scratch vinyl? is there a way to repair it or is it a case of re-wrapping it?

Pro's
Application and materials are key!
A good cast vinyl if applied correctly will give a good leavel of paint protect and cause no harm to the original paintwork (if in good condition) retaining the residual value of the vehicle.
The colour change does not need to be logged with DVLA as its deemed temporary. But do let your insurance company know.
Half the time and cost of a respray with endless options.
Can wash wax as normal, just don't power wash the edges for long periods lol

Cons
A cheap or incorrect vinyl for external wrapping will crack or pop in most areas that are not flat or anything more than a moderate curve and will look gash within a couple of months.
If the lacquer is separating, or any paint lifting on the bodywork this will in most cases will pulled of when the vinyl is removed
Leaving you wanting a respray.
Vynil will not hide any stone chips,cracks or other similar paint damage, only enhance its appearance.
A wrap is not and will never be as good as a paint job, but it's to intended to be either.

Personally I've only ever endorsed 3m and a Avery supercast vinyls as these have been rubber stamped fortech spec and warrenties. However I have used a few different vinyls in the past, APA, hexis, KPMF to name a few.

Door shuts I personally wouldn't advise due to the build up of crap and grease and water collection which eats into the vinyl especially on the overlaps. They us And are usually priced between an extra £50-£75 per shut, only really advise these if the colours really don't contrast. Shuts are not able to be warented by manufacturer either.

Jim Ming blue is a stunning colour why cover it up, maybe go with the detailing like you planned with a roof wrap also just to mix it up a little.

Things to look out for dude, get down to these guys and arrange to see one of their wrapped vehicles. Open all doors, boot, bonnet
and check allmthe seams, lights arches window seals that kinda thing. Looking for a good clean finish and no visible cut lines, especially against the paintwork. no fingers, Ie ravels of vinyl should anywhere especially on corners where this usually happens.

Their site says they are 3m aproved but a lot of their Images are using none 3m colours, Ask them about the vinyl they use. The price quoted is very low in my eyes, as you'd be looking around £600 in just vinyl to cover the S3 in 3m/ Avery. Did you specify a colour or finish? As this will change the price also. A lot of their colours look like Hexis to me especially the ranger. Which is a newer uk based company trying to make a stance, but the last time I checked with them they couldn't give out a tech spec nor a post heat spec. They may have resolved this now though. But out of all the mid range vinyls I've trialled Hexis where pretty good tbf.

The vinyl industry is a ****** minefield Jim With a lot of companies stating they are using the likes of 3m but installing cheap £8 per Meter crap from china which is not fit for purpose. If you go down this route just be careful mate and always ask questions.

My personal views on wrapping is that it's good if applied correctly using good quality vinyls, getting good effects in short spaces of time, however the finish will never ever be as good as paint. Even though the vinyls offer good paint protection itself it is softer than paint. And you will still get stone chips just not as many but the vinyl takes the hit usually unless its a good sized stone.

I'm currently thinking of doing an Amy winehouse And going back to black, only because I miss it so much, However I have a few other colour options I'm thinking of too.... But that's the beauty of vinyl ;)

really dont see the point in wrapping to be honest, perhaps im missing something here but surely a respray is far better value, has a longer life, harder wearing, etc etc.
what happens if you snag/scratch vinyl? is there a way to repair it or is it a case of re-wrapping it?

Re-wrap that individual panel
For value a good vinyl will see you 5 yrs warentied with a life expectancy of 8 yrs paint job at the same price will see you re spraying within 2yrs no doubt. But your missing the point here, Vinyl wrapping is not and never will be a spray job, that's why it's called a temporary colour change!

gun - metal grey or white. :D

Both good choices but both very clitores lol

Jim if your going to do it, be different ;)

Matte red on black would look awesome. But ain't no sleeper !!

Pro's
Application and materials are key!
A good cast vinyl if applied correctly will give a good leavel of paint protect and cause no harm to the original paintwork (if in good condition) retaining the residual value of the vehicle.
The colour change does not need to be logged with DVLA as its deemed temporary. But do let your insurance company know.
Half the time and cost of a respray with endless options.
Can wash wax as normal, just don't power wash the edges for long periods lol

Cons
A cheap or incorrect vinyl for external wrapping will crack or pop in most areas that are not flat or anything more than a moderate curve and will look gash within a couple of months.
If the lacquer is separating, or any paint lifting on the bodywork this will in most cases will pulled of when the vinyl is removed
Leaving you wanting a respray.
Vynil will not hide any stone chips,cracks or other similar paint damage, only enhance its appearance.
A wrap is not and will never be as good as a paint job, but it's to intended to be either.

Personally I've only ever endorsed 3m and a Avery supercast vinyls as these have been rubber stamped fortech spec and warrenties. However I have used a few different vinyls in the past, APA, hexis, KPMF to name a few.

Door shuts I personally wouldn't advise due to the build up of crap and grease and water collection which eats into the vinyl especially on the overlaps. They us And are usually priced between an extra £50-£75 per shut, only really advise these if the colours really don't contrast. Shuts are not able to be warented by manufacturer either.

Jim Ming blue is a stunning colour why cover it up, maybe go with the detailing like you planned with a roof wrap also just to mix it up a little.

Things to look out for dude, get down to these guys and arrange to see one of their wrapped vehicles. Open all doors, boot, bonnet
and check allmthe seams, lights arches window seals that kinda thing. Looking for a good clean finish and no visible cut lines, especially against the paintwork. no fingers, Ie ravels of vinyl should anywhere especially on corners where this usually happens.

Their site says they are 3m aproved but a lot of their Images are using none 3m colours, Ask them about the vinyl they use. The price quoted is very low in my eyes, as you'd be looking around £600 in just vinyl to cover the S3 in 3m/ Avery. Did you specify a colour or finish? As this will change the price also. A lot of their colours look like Hexis to me especially the ranger. Which is a newer uk based company trying to make a stance, but the last time I checked with them they couldn't give out a tech spec nor a post heat spec. They may have resolved this now though. But out of all the mid range vinyls I've trialled Hexis where pretty good tbf.

The vinyl industry is a ****** minefield Jim With a lot of companies stating they are using the likes of 3m but installing cheap £8 per Meter crap from china which is not fit for purpose. If you go down this route just be careful mate and always ask questions.

My personal views on wrapping is that it's good if applied correctly using good quality vinyls, getting good effects in short spaces of time, however the finish will never ever be as good as paint. Even though the vinyls offer good paint protection itself it is softer than paint. And you will still get stone chips just not as many but the vinyl takes the hit usually unless its a good sized stone.

I'm currently thinking of doing an Amy winehouse And going back to black, only because I miss it so much, However I have a few other colour options I'm thinking of too.... But that's the beauty of vinyl ;)

Brilliant post damo. Gonna stick and not twist and sort the bumper grill plastic as per last discussion we had. Many thanks.

. Gonna stick and not twist and sort the bumper grill plastic as per last discussion we had. Many thanks.

I think that's the best option mate. Keep it under the radar and retain its natural beauty.

Great advise damo,and buy the way your's does look great,seen your post where they wraped it,like the colour,like you said if it's done rite like your's it work's,just not a cheep fix like some may think!

Jim give it a good detail and that'll be enough to freshen it up. Good detail and wax to finish will make Ming blue look great. There was a guy called mr g who detailed his ming in the detailing section and it looked great. Might be worth trying to find that thread in detailing section to see what potentially it could look like.

Jim give it a good detail and that'll be enough to freshen it up. Good detail and wax to finish will make Ming blue look great. There was a guy called mr g who detailed his ming in the detailing section and it looked great. Might be worth trying to find that thread in detailing section to see what potentially it could look like.

Thanks Rav. I'll take a look.

Hehe! Nah Ming blue is lovely. Mr g had a nice detail done, looked wicked!

Great advise damo,and buy the way your's does look great,seen your post where they wraped it,like the colour,like you said if it's done rite like your's it work's,just not a cheep fix like some may think!

Cheers bud kind words, still 50/50 on it tho myself lol
yeah a Lot of people don't realise that you'll need to sort the bodywork out before the wrap for best results and think it will cover everything up. Mines in a state underneath as I had all the chips flatted back.

Like i said my freind does wrap car's,he did his own corsa,and it does look so much better,when done right it work's,i think if you want a compleat change i.e matt black its great,like i said think the blue looks great,depends what you want and expect to cover up though,like you said.Did'nt know you could wax it though?,and does it shine ect,just wondered?

Like i said my freind does wrap car's,he did his own corsa,and it does look so much better,when done right it work's,i think if you want a compleat change i.e matt black its great,like i said think the blue looks great,depends what you want and expect to cover up though,like you said.Did'nt know you could wax it though?,and does it shine ect,just wondered?

Yeah You can pretty much treat it as paint But it'll never shine paint. Iv usually use meg's quick detailer spray cos I is lazy lol But you can wax it. One good thing about it is the bugs wipe off with ease ;)

White would be awesome! And just thought I'd say iv heard mixed reviews about Imran at Bristol Blue Customs and he has mucked some people about in the last, although apparently he does do a good job!
I think wrappings awesome just because you will have no swirl marks of anything! Looks like a brand new car, abeit a bit flat.

White would be awesome! And just thought I'd say iv heard mixed reviews about Imran at Bristol Blue Customs and he has mucked some people about in the last, although apparently he does do a good job!
I think wrappings awesome just because you will have no swirl marks of anything! Looks like a brand new car, abeit a bit flat.

I know what you mean. Sounded a bit like that.

Just thought I'd give you a bit of a warning, although apparently his work is top notch, if you ever meet him feel free to drool over his car (Pretty much brand new V12 Mercedes which I believe is wrapped in white).