My Rather Slow S3 minor modding thread!

Sevv

Pushing the limits..
Reaction score
Hello Gents..

well to start up i had a Audi A3 1.6ltr i fell in love with it , soon to be riddled with problems so 7500$ Australian i decided to sell it and get something more exciting so up to the Silver S3 bought that for 15500$ in November last year. i know crazy prices here in OZ.. but oh well soon after i had to repair a ton of stuff on it...decieded to get one thread to post everything as ive had a series of different threads and thought id link em up...

anyway here is the list of stuff ive done to it, been unlucky :p

1- Vanos assembly/chain
2- timming belt/water pump
3- drive belt
4- EGT, O2 sensors front and rear
5- High pressure Steering pump
6- CV boots on the front
7- Steering Pump
8- Aero wiper blades
9- head gasket / rocker cover gasket
10-oil sensor gasket and sump gasket
11- DMF and clutch
12- Rear main seal
13-Timming belt adjusters and relevant seals
14- Coolant Temp Sensor
15- Brand new Pirelli PZero tyers (as it wouldnt pass MOT)
16-Fuse box ontop of the battery and 3 fuses along with it
17- Batter Holder/ Cover / Battery Fuse cover
18- Serviced the Car twice through 5,000KM's ..New filter etc.. Haldex oil filter and the sort
19- Bleed the Coolant System as it had air trapped
20- Changed the Boost pipes going from the DV to the hard boost pipe going to the turbo (got some nice blue forge ones)
21- Brand New Carpets
22- Pedal Brooke on a red light so that had to be replaced...sigh
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TO BE DONE!

23- Got my FPR hose disconnected from the inlet mani so getting that tomorow to replace....
24- Ultrasonic clean for the FPR and INjectors... while im at it
25- she wont pass MOT so i need new pads discs as they are quite thin... so i purchased Tarox's 6 pot caliper 323mm big brake kit with some F2000 discs [ as Paul recommend not getting drilled discs as they cracked..thanks Paul :p] mind you that set me back 2800$
26- Getting rid of my AVUS wheels and getting some black 17*8.0 OZ racing Ultralegerra's just like S3Dave's Silver S3 [should recieve them byt he 17th of April]
27- Audi S3 8P Gear Knob

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLANNED!

1- GTX30r Garrett turbo Garrett GTX3071R Ball Bearing Turbo
2- T3 turbo manifold to compliment the GTX30 Integrated Engineering Top Mount T3 Turbo Manifold for 1.8T
3- Change all the Turbo/ Vacuum/ Coolant pipes to silicone hoses
4- Forge Catch Can
5- Forge Alloy Hard Boost pipe Awesome - Forge Alloy Boost Hard Pipe - 1.8T 225
6- TT pedals - Awesome - Audi TT Mk1 Pedal Set
7- B5 Tip Awesome - Badger 5 80mm Turbo Intake Pipe - S3 8L/TT 225/LCR
8- SEM mani Awesome - SEM Intake Manifold - 1.8T 210/225
9- AEB head... Integrated Engineering 1.8T 20V Stage 1 AEB Cylinder Head - Assembled Race Engines
10- Stroker kit to compliment the damn fine turbo :p 1.8t 20v 2.0L Stroker Kit (06a) - Stroker Kits
12- 550cc injectors Bosch 52LB / 550cc Hi Impedance Injector
13- dual surge tank Integrated Engineering Submerged Dual 044 Billet Surge Tank WITH PUMPS
15- finally the exhaust not sure if it would fit to the "planned mods" however im hopping you lads might be of great help but any there it is 3" pipewerx Awesome - Pipewerx 3" Down Pipe & High Flow Sports Cat - TT 225/S3 8L and a miltek cat-back system
16- Bilstien b12 or b14 still not sure and polythene bushes all round....
17- change the timing belt to a gates racing timing belt
18- OH BOY THE END!!!!

well that's that... im hopping to complete this by next year mid to end as it "ALLOT" of cash to be dumped as for now... i ve also takent he car today to Audi Five Dock in Sydney to inspect my roof rails hopefully fingers crossed they paint them for me... but while i was there they inspected the car which yapped about the brakes, though interestingly said i had a coolant leak which was evident (sitting on the transmission case though ive already changed the damn coolant temp sensor with its O-ring) not sure ... ill be putting pics up too dont worry dont have the Westy disease of teasing everyone :p .. another sodding problem is its leaking oil.. checked the rocker cover etc.. nothing "apparently as Audi said though they told me it might be from the turbo pipes as its leaking towards the back of the block all the way down as i looked at it on the hoist..so im hopping you lads might be able to help me out here please im sick of problems

ill be posting the pics soon.... sorry

Hi sevv, god those s3 prices are rediculous lol there goin for under £3k in the u.k.

Youv got some epic plans coming up, i look forward to seeing the results.

As for the oil leak id say its likely to be the seal to the oil feed, but no doubt someone who actually knows will help us out.

Good luck with your plans.

thanks mate.. i hope its that i also have a coolant leak all over the damn transmision i was shocked however i was happy to hear from Audi the car was fine....

20120410_181028.jpg

20120410_181045.jpg

20120410_181100.jpg

20120410_181141.jpg

20120410_181209.jpg

20120410_181241.jpg

Well boys these are the pics of my baby... i know they arent well as i took them with my phone and my camera is bust :p ill try to post some pics up when i do my brakes and wheels

now for my horrid horrid coolant leak , this happened after i change my coolant temp sensor though not sure if its leaking from there changed it along with a new o-ring ....

20120410_181513.jpg

20120410_181535.jpg

20120410_181558.jpg

20120410_181623.jpg

concerning the "Leak" around the turbo i tried to shove my phone down there but was hard... i cant see anything wrong but maybe you guys can possibly...

20120410_181651.jpg

It's bleeding!!!!

I would suggest it is likely to be the plastic pipe that bolts to the side of the head and also houses the Coolant Temp Sensor. Common for failure, they tend to hairline crack.

There is coolant hanging off the bottom of it in one photo - change that and your leak will be gone.

thanks Welly..so im assuming it would be the coolant temp sensor housing ? correct so i can order it... any ideas concerning the oil leak, though i think i need to take a picture from the bottom of the block to show you shame i didnt take it when it was on the hoist

ooo and is it easy to replace im assuming i have to empty the coolant fist though i have no idea where it is on the radiator

It's bleeding!!!!

I would suggest it is likely to be the plastic pipe that bolts to the side of the head and also houses the Coolant Temp Sensor. Common for failure, they tend to hairline crack.

There is coolant hanging off the bottom of it in one photo - change that and your leak will be gone.

+ 1, mine cracked on my last track day @ Calder Park last month splashing the entire engine bay in coolant and it's hard to scub it off.
Sevv, for the oil leak take the under tray out and wash the back of the engine with degreaser and blow it out with compressed air, run the car of a week or two and your oil leak will be more evident.

You will need bigger injectors than 550's for a GTX3071 mate... 630's are ok for std GT3071's but next step would be 840's on something like the GTX..
840CC Injector, Siemens, High Impedence - 034 MOTORSPORT

The dual surge pump kit is overkill at this level... either go for the single one with an 044 or just the 044 on its own... an external gate for the manifold you have chosen... you will need to consider using an RS4 MAF too for that power level and a 100mm custom TIP for the turbo as the K04 B5 one is really for K04's... Bill does a nice billet piece for the RS4 maf that we have used on a couple of builds so far...

Your list is a little confusing as it contains upgrades specific the the K04 you have but you are also listing big turbo stuff... the Pipewerx DP won't be any use on the GTX30 and you will need a custom DP for that and the external gate you will need to fit..

...and point 18 is never gonna happen mate... its never the end ;P

<tuffty/>

hehe yes your right Paul.. i wasnt sure concerning the Down pipe...and injectors didnt want to go overkill and get 1000cc ones but yeah... if i may ask Paul concerning the minor oil leak from the back of the block do you kknow of any common symptoms etc.. or anything.... as ill be taking the car apart tomorow sort off to fix the FPR etc... replace few pipes with silicone pipes... by the way if i take the mani off would i need a new gasket of some sort to put it back... and do i need a torque wrench or just tighten up as i see fit ? nooby questions i agree but gotta learn some where... unfortunately you arent in OZ..

hehe yes your right Paul.. i wasnt sure concerning the Down pipe...and injectors didnt want to go overkill and get 1000cc ones but yeah... if i may ask Paul concerning the minor oil leak from the back of the block do you kknow of any common symptoms etc.. or anything.... as ill be taking the car apart tomorow sort off to fix the FPR etc... replace few pipes with silicone pipes... by the way if i take the mani off would i need a new gasket of some sort to put it back... and do i need a torque wrench or just tighten up as i see fit ? nooby questions i agree but gotta learn some where... unfortunately you arent in OZ..

Oil like that is normally from the rocker cover gasket/half moon seal/tensioner gasket... fairly common as they go hard and leak...

Could also be from the TIP, a split or just not sealing right as the PCV system blows oil back into the TIP and therefore turbo...

Inlet or exhaust gasket? I would use new gaskets everytime tbh...

<tuffty/>

wow - money burning a hole in your pocket ?

PS. I've heard Australia is good place to live with a good standard of living !

Oil like that is normally from the rocker cover gasket/half moon seal/tensioner gasket... fairly common as they go hard and leak...

Could also be from the TIP, a split or just not sealing right as the PCV system blows oil back into the TIP and therefore turbo...

Inlet or exhaust gasket? I would use new gaskets everytime tbh...

<tuffty/>

Well ill inspect the Tip tomorrow, but i was wanting to remove the inlet manifold towards the front of the car....Audi check the rocker cover gasket it was spotless... and whats the half moon seal / tensioner gasket i.e.. where can i locate them to check by any chance?

@thegoal007 my pocket is empty after a splash this month with the wheels and brakes so pretty broke unfortunately but im sure ill have a smile once its all done and car passes MOT

standard of living is sort of okay we are suffering from the same symptoms as EU... its hard to earn a living here you literally need to work you *** off.....everything is so expensive

well today i got my 8P S3 gear knob, along with 4 and 3mm silicone pipes to fix the FPR and DV pipe and now she is running steady at 800RPM WOOHOOO!!! finally (big thanks to Paul for this would have never known if it weren't for you mate):yahoo:

also got my neuspeed thermo with the fan switch and all just need to get around to do it along with H&R anti roll bars front and rear
20120411_123531.jpg

20120411_123552.jpg

however id like to mention i had no trouble with change gears using the new boot dont know why ppl did have trouble with that though....

all thats left to do now are the brakes, coolant and oil leak, engine degrease and she'll be ace.

thanks mate... i must say what a cun*t of a job it was replacing those pipes under the inlet manifold my finger are still acheing to be honest took me 2 hrs to get them on..whent for a crazy drive and they didnt pop off so job successfully done!

Use small cable ties to hold them onto the outlets when using silicon...

20100927_IMAG0340.jpg

<tuffty/>

ah lol cable ties i had to slightly modify the hose clap to make it small enough to fit

[FONT=&amp]Cam Cover Gasket - £20.24[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]VVT Unit Gasket - £6.18 (with half-moon shape seal)[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Coolant Temp Sensor Housing - £10.57 (comes with main seal) We need a part number off the car to make sure we get the correct one[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Coolant Temp Sensor Seal - £1.06[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Coolant Temp Sensor Clip - £0.47[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Bonnet Seal - £6.95[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Shipping via Post - £15.00[/FONT][FONT=&amp][/FONT]

mind you that's 58$ cheaper including shipping :p
[FONT=&amp][/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]

bad news for me my gearbox spline is rattling inside the box itself i dont know how much it costs , but awesome have a reco'ed gearbox with 15k on the clock including a LSD for 1000pounds does it sound any good ?
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]bad news for me my gearbox spline is rattling inside the box itself i dont know how much it costs , but awesome have a reco'ed gearbox with 15k on the clock including a LSD for 1000pounds does it sound any good ?
[/FONT][/COLOR]

Assuming its a quattro box and been built ok then doesn't sound too bad... not sure you really need an LSD though...

<tuffty/>

how come ? im also pondering as is it easy to just change the spline itself thats rattling along with anything else or is it too much of a DIY job and or expensive to do ? personally pocket are quite dry at this point so any saving would be great it'll probably cost me 2,000$ AUD all up with shipping thats without a new master cylinder or clutch kit etc...

it makes some sort of knocking sound when idling sometimes...and when i change gears and the revs drop down it does it sometimes...

well got my wheels changed today and registered the car and took a few pictures around :p

20120423_151643.jpg

20120423_152945.jpg

20120423_165323.jpg

20120423_165332.jpg

and thats her with the awesome wheels :p

p.s dont know how i passed MOT with my back brakes discs and pads thin ... but im not complaining

thanks Steve, today i got my Gunsons bleeding kit and awesome gti have shipped the brake kit so by end of may ill get it fitted after the car has come back from Audi as they need 3 weeks to paint the car... long long time with my baby sigh..... but atleast im getting the roof and both rear qaurter panels done along with the bumper (though i have to pay for the bumpers ) but hey no more bubbles on my rails !!!

well im up to getting my brake kit tomorrow, and have a couple of questions..

1- do i need a torque wrench to remove the calipers at all ?
2- how to open the nipples on the brake lines , and or replace as it comes with 2 stainless lines

any help would be appreciated!

20120426_175754.jpg
20120426_175743.jpg
20120426_175720.jpg
20120426_175713.jpg

well this showed up in the mail and im gonna tackle fitting them on tonite given they fit without spacers.. could use some advise as to how to get the brake line off etc.. got all the necessary tools for the job and got a gunsons bleeding kit... would appreciate any help

the manual is in italian so no hope for me =[

Well my latest update got the brakes fitted thankfully however the bolt going through the bracket is holding by 4 threads !!!! so awaiting response from tarox and awesomegti here are a few pictures didnt take any pics after i fully fit it however ill post the finall picture once i get it back from Audi free roof rail fix:) but im without a car for a whopping 2-3 weeks i hope less...

20120427_153325.jpg

20120428_103134.jpg

20120428_093600.jpg

id like to say a very big big thank you to Paul (Tuffty) for all the help and the countless mails between each other to help me get the brake fitted especially that the damn disc was seized mind you.. but i did it... its a good feel, i practiced putting it on and off so many times i can now change disc and pads in 15mins :p

my next update will be getting some F2000 rear discs and tarox pads along with braided hoses for the rear.. fix my coolant and oil leak and get the damn brake pad sensor issue sorted along with some TT pedals

Well, i thought id post a few pictures after getting the S3 back from audi with thier free paint job (both rear quarter panels and the doors) and i paid for the both bumpers to be resprayed... i also finished putting the front brake kit with Tuffty's help... thanks mate asual.

20120511_140211.jpg

20120511_140042.jpg

20120511_140006.jpg

20120511_135942.jpg

20120511_135929.jpg

20120511_135922.jpg

20120511_135912.jpg

well next on my to do list which sould arrive later this month are:

- Rear discs and pads
- Bilstien B12's
- HR ARB (already got that along with the bushes suspension top bearing and mounts)
- Engine mounts
- Coolant expansion bottle and Coolant temp sensor housing (faulty and leaking sadly)
- rocker cover gasket again along with the half moon seal
- S3 badge on the steering wheel ( i was blown away by the 27 pound cost :p)
- TT pedals

i think that would be it for this month im thinking next month of getting the AH Fab v2, and the miltek cat back system to make way for the GTX30 turbo..

P.S awesome have begun building a new stroked 2.0 engine ill ask them to get some picks as the build it before they send it to OZ...

Little update: the coolant / oil leak that i hav ebeen having will be fixed next week as i got a list of parts that arrived:

- coolant expansion bottle
- coolant temp sensor housing with oring
- cam gasket and tensioner gasket
- TT pedals :D
- new S3 steering badge
- fuel filter
- rear F200 Tarox brakes with strada pads
- neuspeed thermostat and fan switch
- rear wiper
-H&R ARB

i just have the thermostat and the housing to put on and get that tool for the tenionser gasket and she is done... just waiting on the SFS silicone coolant hoses i ordered a few days ago to arrive and the fun begins

also got on order 12AN pipes and 3meters of oil grade pipes for the PCV simplification.. along with the moroso oil catch can just like Sam ( i must say mate many thanks for making it easy for me :p)

lastly next week ill be ordering some Bilstein B14's with a full powerflex kit

here are a few pics they aren't the best so sorry...

20120705_114442-1.jpg

20120705_114529.jpg

20120705_114615.jpg

here was my **** ended up round of the screw and well the damn ecs caliper compression tool GOT STUCK lol in the damn spot after wrestling with it ... it came loose thankfully:D

20120705_150137.jpg

20120705_165449.jpg

20120707_145707.jpg

Samy? Only my mrs calls me that haha

Ah ok, I'll probably get it here to save on postage etc. Need it pretty soon. Has yours leaked for ages? Mine started like 1 or 2 days ago and it's covered my hoses etc :(

Sam if you want mate i can order one for you.. shipping is usually 15-20 i think... , no it hasnt i ordered it but didnt need it to be honest.. so i thought i just fit a nice new flashy bottle :p

Nah, it's cool, I'll get it here. A bit easier and probably cost as much in the end...

Nah, it's cool, I'll get it here. A bit easier and probably cost as much in the end...

lol Sam i wouldnt bet on it mate... i think i was qouted 83$ for the coolant expansion bottle :p from Audi Five Dock

I'd go to VW mate. Audi take the **** on prices for the same parts. The guy at VW gives me trade most of the time. Don't need the bottle. I'm on about the housing...

Put your tongue away haha

sigh... okay then i have to check with you on this VW dealership as you seem to be getting some fairer pricers then Audi's ****** charging me