S3 aftermarket stereo help

Flubster

Tinkerer
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi,

New owner of a 2002 Audi S3. Love the car, its totally standard (so yes it'll need a remap, TLC and some tinkering!) and yes its in silver - the fastest colour!

Only real problem is the headunit (single din audi chorus). Has a volume control problem. So its time to replace especially as I have an alpine stereo in a box in the cupboard!

I've done loads of searching, most threads talk about non or rear bose amplified systems, from what I can tell mine is full bose, (Bose front speaker covers, bose sub (2 speakers in sub) in one boot pocket, and what looks like an amp in the second! Local auto electrcian has never seen a full bose system so has no idea!

As part of the shopping list I will have to buy some radio keys so I can remove the stereo, so I can't see whats behind the unit!

Shopping list so far:

1) Fascia Adaptor (CT24AU07)
2) Active Aerial adaptor (CT27AA08) (Think this is right, headunit has the long type - car has the small flat type?)
3) Wiring Harness (?)
4) Canbus Adaptor (CAN-01.2)

These are connects2 part numbers - if anyone knows any better parts then please advise!

Can someone who knows what i'm attempting tell me if i'm ordering the correct parts and what harness i'll need? (headunit has Front and Rear RCA so will use them to get sound) Don't want to replace the bose system yet, just replace the headunit with the exsiting speakers / sub until I can afford a proper sub / speaker install.

Apologies for the long post, i'll put up a hello thread, with piccys soon!

Dave

Just so you know you can get the standard headunit fixed for £70 at a company near me.

James

Or you can trade it in at an Audi Dealer for a refurbished unit for around £150 I did this on my old 2000 APY model S3 and it looked brand new. Also, it comes with a two year warranty.

AndyMac is very helpful and he knows these Bose systems like the back of his hand. I don't think it's a straight forward swap to replace the headunit and retain the full "BOSE-ness" of your set up but it can be done.

this is a right pain, i tried all of the wiring harnesses with a few different head units at a company near me, he contacted a company and they are sending a new product out to see if it fixes my problem, i have spoke to a few other people who say a simple wiring harness works fine... guess im just an unlucky one

this is a right pain, i tried all of the wiring harnesses with a few different head units at a company near me, he contacted a company and they are sending a new product out to see if it fixes my problem, i have spoke to a few other people who say a simple wiring harness works fine... guess im just an unlucky one

Have you still not had any luck fella?

james

well is all working now barring a popping noise when skipping a track/turning on/off, spoke to andy and he recomended a wiring harness still had no effect, we even tried it with different stereos, i have a harness thing coming in tommorow i believe if not that then the bose is getting ripped put haha

you have some good taste in music btw, some strange ones too ;-)

thats a pure mix of mine and my other halfs, as we use the same itunes account lol, well thats my excuse he he

thats a pure mix of mine and my other halfs, as we use the same itunes account lol, well thats my excuse he he

excuses excuses, i spoke to her about getting her a car like yours and she said she want a beetle :-/

least you wont have to worry bout your bird having a nicer, faster car than yours lol

If you manage to get it to work keep me informed please knoxie :)

From what I can see I have 2 options: PC9-410 (rca) or CT51-AU01 (speaker iso block)

think the PC9-410 would provide a better sound - but people say it produces pops, anyone used a STSGN21 to remove these pops, or used a Ground Loop Isolator?

Oh and I think I need a CT27AA05 not a CT27AA08!

Dave

Last edited:
Pop stoppers just delay the amp turn on so don't work, GLI's are pretty useless as well. The only known cure is to use the inferior speaker input adapter or fit small capacitors to the RCA signal leads to isolate them from the Bose amps bizarre capacitor array on the input stage. It's these capacitors that cause the pop by discharging whenever the RCA output on the HU is muted/earthed (ironically to reduce noise)

the guy is still waiting a new order for them, will keep updated as he rekons its a new product and he has a contract with an audi dealer for aftermarket fitments so should know the bose fairly well, only time will tell with this one i think

knoxie

Audi dealers know nothing about the Bose system (or indeed anything to do with ICE)

Did u ever get the pop problem sorted? as im having the same problem now and could use some good news