EM TuningAH Fabrications
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By S3featesV9

Thread: Custom Dash Ideas

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status

Custom Dash Ideas

Right guys,

I've had a good search through the search tool but can't really find what i'm looking for, so hoping that by posting a thread you can all get your heads together and help me out....would be much appreciated

Going from my previous modding history, i like to keep things subtle and OE looking but with a slight modified touch to it. So, ive got a few ideas in my head as to what i want to do to my S3 to make it my own so to speak. I'm hoping my ideas will be quite fresh but easy enough for people to understand and provide guidance. So here it goes....

I want to fit a boost gauge to my S3 but i'm not really a fan on the pillar pods, nor the air vent mod as i only think the boost gauge vent looks good in the circular vents like in my old car and as seen in the later S3 8P chassis. Yes, i'm very picky i know.

So the idea's floating round at the moment are a steering column gauge pod which i have seen on a few passat's recently, not sure if its been done on the S3 8L yet. The other idea i had, was to convert to single DIN aftermarket headunit, using the flip alluminium cover from an TT mk1 8N chassis and have a single DIN smoked gauge panel (hiding gauges until lit up on ignition live) with 3 gauges (boost/oil pressure/oil temp). Wouldn't mind having a TT climate control panel with the alluminium ring style surrounds, but i need one with heated seats too (not sure if this is possible).

Want to end up with something like the TT:

Although the A6 stereo cover looks better suited to the S3 dash as the mechanism appears to be on the outside of the cover which is the right way for the S3:

The craziest idea i've had at the moment was to convert the whole dash to the later 8P dash, but i can't imagine it being a straight swap like my old MG ZR was. Probably alot more to think about, deeming it totally uneconomical to do.

Any help/guidance is much appreciated guys. Thanks in advance.

Shaun.
    Last edited by ShaunS3; 9th April 2012 at 19:33.

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    PODI do a steering column mount. Pm a bloke called HEKTOR. In caps too
    ShaunS3 likes this.
    MODS - Custom Code phase 1, 007p DV, various powerflex bushes, EBC grooved and drilled - red stuff pads, N249 deletion. Badger5 V2 80mm TIP. Scorpion backbox + custom centre section, LCR front splitter, Jetex Fr-08001, R32 rear ARB, Forged IE rifle drilled rods, 20mm rear & 15mm front spacers.

TO DO - Coilovers, adjustable tie arms, DP/mani/decat, FMIC and new remap

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3featesV9 View Post
    PODI do a steering column mount. Pm a bloke called HEKTOR. In caps too
    Cheers dude, just took a quick look at their website and nothing is listed for A3/S3, but i will drop him a message! Thanks again.

Error

Status
    I was toying with the idea to convert the ash tray/aux power tray into a pod for a liquid guage, where when you pop the tray out, the liquid guage sits flat and pops out on a spring, but i havnt done it yet... might not be readable at that angle tbh, main reason is subtlety to be honest...

let us know what your progress is!

Audi A3 1.8t AUM
    Forge 007p, Pipercross Panel Filter, Eibach Prokit 35mm drop, EBC Green Stuff Pads
    Groved Disks, HEL Braided Brake Lines with Dot 5.1 fluid.
    Creation Motorsport Silicone TIP,
    N75 hoses, DV Hose & 10mm Rear Wheel Spacers
    Powerflex Rear Beam Bushes & Diesel Dog Bone Bush
    8k HID Kit, 8k LED Side Lights, 8k Number Plate LED

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Metro View Post
    I was toying with the idea to convert the ash tray/aux power tray into a pod for a liquid guage, where when you pop the tray out, the liquid guage sits flat and pops out on a spring, but i havnt done it yet... might not be readable at that angle tbh, main reason is subtlety to be honest...

let us know what your progress is!
    Yeah i see what you mean. I think a hidden set of analogue/mechanical gauges behind a smoked facia panel just below the stereo or above is going to be the best option for me. Keeps them hidden when off but clear and visible enough when lit.....could look really cool

Error

Status
    yeah, i totally agree, shame ive got a double din symphony radio (which i cant be bothered the replace for now) or I would have been after a single din pod. My other thought was getting the pod from a Focus ST3 (sorry for swearing) and mounting that in a similar place on the dash as in the focus... I think they look amazing where they are and have really good visibility of the guages... if i was going for something like that i dont think id be bothered about keeping a subtle / oe look.

Edit: Plus id loose my trusty cigarette lighter if i chose the aux power tray... **** one if i forget my lighter xD

Audi A3 1.8t AUM
    Forge 007p, Pipercross Panel Filter, Eibach Prokit 35mm drop, EBC Green Stuff Pads

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    yeah, i totally agree, shame ive got a double din symphony radio (which i cant be bothered the replace for now) or I would have been after a single din pod. My other thought was getting the pod from a Focus ST3 (sorry for swearing) and mounting that in a similar place on the dash as in the focus... I think they look amazing where they are and have really good visibility of the guages... if i was going for something like that i dont think id be bothered about keeping a subtle / oe look.

Edit: Plus id loose my trusty cigarette lighter if i chose the aux power tray... **** one if i forget my lighter xD
    I currently have the standard double DIN symphony stereo but the CD has malfunctioned anyhow so it needs to go. I quite like the TT single DIN stereo flip cover, so was looking at retro fitting that into the S3 dash over an aftermarket stereo, they a gauge panel underneath.

Funny you should mention the Focus pods, i was also looking at the ST/RS pods today and also agree that they look great. It would just bug me that the material doesn't match on the dash...unless you were to wrap it in carbon fibre possibly. There is a similar one in the old impreza's that i saw today, probably more suited to the shape of the S3 dash also.

Error

Status
    agreed, do it, post a pic and show us

Audi A3 1.8t AUM

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    Watch this space for twin column mount gauges on my S3
    Was 531bhp 8L S3 thats going to break the 600+ bhp Club then break something else. Lets see what this OD HTAGT3582r can do
    My S3 Twists Drive shafts for fun.

FOR SALE
    Sparco Torino 2 sport seats
    Adjustable FPR from 1-5 bar, 2 sets of Unused ARP 3/8 2000 rod bolts
    , relentless 200 cell cat pipe, Std AGU Crankshaft. Ported & Reconditioned Cylinder head service.

Error

Status
    this is getting exciting :P

Audi A3 1.8t AUM

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    this is getting exciting :P
    It is indeed.

To be fair, after alot of endless searching, a thread like this is very much needed.

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunS3 View Post
    Are you mounting them into the centre air vents?
    Steering column mounted
    Was 531bhp 8L S3 thats going to break the 600+ bhp Club then break something else. Lets see what this OD HTAGT3582r can do

FOR SALE
    , relentless 200 cell cat pipe, Std AGU Crankshaft. Ported & Reconditioned Cylinder head service.

Watch this space...

Status
    Im watching this thread as im in need of a set of gauges + mount locations!! Keep us posted Shaun abd Andrew
    My Build Thread... Nothing too special

Mods: ASN Sticker on Rear Driver Window, Forge 006, KO3s Turbo, Silicone TIP, 3inch Downpipe, Decat, FK Coilovers, Bosch Aero Retrofits, NGK 6458 Sparkplugs.

To do : Front and Rear 25mm ARB, Strut Brace, Adjustable Droplinks, Poly Red DogBone, Remap, FMIC... to be completed

Error

Status
    What about removing the air bag in the steering wheel and mounting a boost guage where the audi rings are xD let's get creative!

Audi A3 1.8t AUM

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by deeman88 View Post
    Im watching this thread as im in need of a set of gauges + mount locations!! Keep us posted Shaun abd Andrew
    Fair bit of planning and a case of trial and error i think but will get there somehow, wether it be the whole custom centre console or just the steering column gauge.

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew@A.L.D View Post
    Steering column mounted
    Not so sure two would be a good idea due to reducing visibility of the other gauges behind. However, i'm sure you have put alot of thought into it and i look forward to seeing your progress.

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    It will only be blocking out the mileometer and the clock when done but it doesn't take much to peep over the top of them

FOR SALE

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    It will only be blocking out the mileometer and the clock when done but it doesn't take much to peep over the top of them
    I supose it's each to their own. Good luck with it mate, look forward to seeing it.

Status
    Byzan put a digital readout on one of the blank buttons by the cup holder for a readout,looked neat

1st Gear

Status
    This looks quite good, shame it does not hook up to OBD port

ZADA TECH Turbo Boost Digital LCD Car Gauge Universal - Custom Made Multi-Gauge | eBay

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by voorhees View Post
    Byzan put a digital readout on one of the blank buttons by the cup holder for a readout,looked neat
    Quote Originally Posted by S3 Sly View Post
    This looks quite good, shame it does not hook up to OBD port

ZADA TECH Turbo Boost Digital LCD Car Gauge Universal - Custom Made Multi-Gauge | eBay
    This is becoming quite interesting to say the least. Zada tech can build it into the actual clocks:

Zada Tech - Audi TT, A3, S3, RS3, A4, S4, RS4 Red LCD Multi Gauge - OEM Looking

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    I have a liquid gauge but with it only able to show one reading at a time i need two more gauges and that I would rather have two more analog gauges rather than digital ones

FOR SALE

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    I have a liquid gauge but with it only able to show one reading at a time i need two more gauges and that I would rather have two more analog gauges rather than digital ones
    I'm in the same boat. Although i currently don't have any additional gauges installed, i'm unsure if i want to go analogue or digital.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by voorhees View Post
    I'd be interested in seeing that.

Ming Blue S3, Stage 3 Hybrid Turbo, Custom Map, Bosch 480 injectors, Custom TIP, Forge FMIC, 3" Downpipe, 200 Cell Sport CAT, Full Stainless, XS Power Mani, 6 Paddle Clutch, Red silicone hoses, LCR Brembo's, Forge 007p, KW Suspension Kit, Green filter, THS Mounts, 11mm & 16mm spacers, H&R Anti-roll bars, RS6 18" alloys, Michelin PS3's, Red Dog Bone Mount, Neuspeed quickshift, Boost Gauge, Aero wipers, LCR splitter, Forge Tie-bars, LED bulbs, Armrest, Custom TT pedals.

5th Gear

Status
    I'm in the same boat. Although i currently don't have any additional gauges installed, i'm unsure if i want to go analogue or digital.
    Analogue matches the current gauges better. Had this debate very recently.

Ming Blue S3, Stage 3 Hybrid Turbo, Custom Map, Bosch 480 injectors, Custom TIP, Forge FMIC, 3" Downpipe, 200 Cell Sport CAT, Full Stainless, XS Power Mani, 6 Paddle Clutch, Red silicone hoses, LCR Brembo's, Forge 007p, KW Suspension Kit, Green filter, THS Mounts, 11mm & 16mm spacers, H&R Anti-roll bars, RS6 18" alloys, Michelin PS3's, Red Dog Bone Mount, Neuspeed quickshift, Boost Gauge, Aero wipers, LCR splitter, Forge Tie-bars, LED bulbs, Armrest, Custom TT pedals.

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimgrim77 View Post
    I'd be interested in seeing that.
    I would also like to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimgrim77 View Post
    Analogue matches the current gauges better. Had this debate very recently.
    If the gauge is a standalone seperate unit, then yes i would agree it needs to be analogue. However, looking at what Zada Tech can do, incorporating a digital readout within the instrument cluster, i am tempted to do it like that.

I'm also still considering a hidden custom analogue gauge setup within the centre console.

Neutral

Status
    Does the liquid gauge just plug into the OBD port?

But the Zada one isnt? How does this one hook up?

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by kennymeechan View Post
    Does the liquid gauge just plug into the OBD port?

But the Zada one isnt? How does this one hook up?
    From what i have seen, the liquid gauge goes into the drivers heater vent and connects directly to the OBD port, taking its readings directly from the ECU. Whereas the Zada uses sensors on the actual components to get it's readings. Hope this helps?

Neutral

Status
    From what i have seen, the liquid gauge goes into the drivers heater vent and connects directly to the OBD port, taking its readings directly from the ECU. Whereas the Zada uses sensors on the actual components to get it's readings. Hope this helps?
    So the Zada one needs sensor wires ran everywhere?

Liquid gauge it is when funds allow

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by kennymeechan View Post
    So the Zada one needs sensor wires ran everywhere?

Liquid gauge it is when funds allow
    By the sounds of it yes but could be quite cool to have integrated into the instrument cluster

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    This is my dash currently:

Dash idea (Open)

Dash idea (closed)
    Last edited by ShaunS3; 9th April 2012 at 20:54.

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    Please excuse my extremely poor MS paint skills