Fault code help needed 2000 S3

fitzdog88

Reaction score
two days ago my car went into limp mode just been to a garage with vag com and got the following codes
17863 exaust gas temp sensor 1 (g235) implausible signal
17608 boost pressure control valve (n249) mecanical malfunction (just done the delete and pluged the sensor back in )
17705 pressure droped between turbo and throttle valve ( previous owner had fitted a dump valve replaced this this morning with new 007p )
17956 boost pressure regulation valve (n75) open circuit
17938 camshaft timing adjustment short to ground intermittent
17697 boost pressure control valve (n249) short to ground intermittent
16396 bank 1 35 10 advanced set point not reached(over retarded) intermittent rediness 0000 0001

the guy at the garage didnt want to erase them as he thought the car wount start after so any help with possable reasons for the faults will be much apreciated guys
also i have not been able 2 wipe the ecu after n249 delete and 007p fitting would this explain some faults

p,s my friend has a mac code reader would this clear them
thanks matt

Last edited:
you need those clearing to sort out whats old and whats causing the fault/lack of power.
the n75 fault. any broken wires to it?
exhaust gas temp will be causing lack of power if its a current fault (not an old one) but without them clearing.........

clearing the codes wont cause the car not to start, it just clears the fault code register.

as said above, you need to find out what the current faults are and then go from there, mine had a load of really obscure codes when i first scanned it, reset them and ran the car for a coupple of days and took it from there,

pressure drop between dv and throttle valve has been a real battle for me in the past, dam vac leaks

i felt like he was bulls**ting me a bit any was checked full bay for leaking or split hoses all ok .will my mates mac tools reader erase them or do i need a vagcom guys

it may do, there are other tools that will do a similar job, vagcom / vcds is a very good bit of kit if you can get it tho

ok thanks mate iv seen sumart on ebay a vagcom disk and lead for 20quid ish any good ?

iv heard varied success from these, some work some dont, you cant go wrong with the origional ross-tech equipment tho

ill look into it mate its off to audi tomoro for the coil pack recall see what bad news they bring lol

UPDATE
just got back from audi apart from needing a cv boot thay said car is ok
iv erased the fault codes all and this one keeps apearing
16396 bank 1 : camshaft a (intake)
p0012-35-10 advanced set point not reached (over-retarded) - inttermittent readiness: 0000 0001
any ideas what this means thanks guys

im going to start looking else were now and yes mate its still going into limp mode :banghead:

also is there any thing i could check for in the engine bay ie specific hoses , sensors wireing thanks again matt

youve got a problem with the vvt chain adjuster then.
might be an oil supply problem to it or the chain is worn and stretched?

thanks mate how would i go about checking this and is it a expencive job if this is at fault

just used vagcom again and
17938 camshaft timing adjustment p1530-35-10-short to ground- intermittent
has come back could this be causing 16396 guys also am i right in thinking driving the car could cause major damage thanks matt

also iv looked on ross tech and the fault code 17938 is not there