Steering Angle Sensor - ESP light (FIXED)

Scullies

Reaction score
So my esp light has been on since I bought the car. The dealer scanned for faults and told me I need a new slip ring.

The previous owner said he had the steering removed for a new A/C unit, and this got me thinking that whoever did the job probably didnt know about the slip ring. I dont the dealer about this too. Was still told I need a new slip ring.

So I downloaded VCDS-lite, and checked the measuring blocks for the ABS system. Slip ring was 360deg out, just as I suspected.
So I left VCDS plugged in and slowly moved the ring to 0 deg, put the steering wheel back on and did the steering angle calibration.

Now I have a working ESP system. :rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:

dealers will tell you anything to get money out of you!

for this to be really helpful I suppose it would have been nice to see what code was thrown up on vagcom originally. Otherwise you'll get everyone thinking this is the answer to the usual 'ESP light on'.

Excuse me for being pedantic, if it's a ring ... a circle ... and you rotate it 360 degrees ... doesn't it kind of end up ... um ... back in the same position. :)

Liam

Reactions: Hagandaas
Excuse me for being pedantic, if it's a ring ... a circle ... and you rotate it 360 degrees ... doesn't it kind of end up ... um ... back in the same position. :)

Liam
haha good point..... but not in this case, it has a ribbon in it that lets the sensor know how many times it has been turned.....:icon_thumright:

haha good point..... but not in this case, it has a ribbon in it that lets the sensor know how many times it has been turned.....:icon_thumright:

Ahha. Cool. I've never taken the steering wheel off for fear of having my face punched though my skull by the airbag :p