slight fluctuation at idle, is this normal?

jackpilk

Reaction score
When leaving the car it Idle it slightly fluctuates on the rev counter, not a lot but only very minor. I've hunted down pretty much all the breather/vacuum system and have replaced every split pipe etc which has made a noticeable difference. Will there always be a slight movement of the needle on the rev counter or should it be bang on?

I haven't checked the hoses around the intercoolers yet as that might be my next job, which is bumper off I'm presuming.

Thanks

When leaving the car it Idle it slightly fluctuates on the rev counter, not a lot but only very minor. I've hunted down pretty much all the breather/vacuum system and have replaced every split pipe etc which has made a noticeable difference. Will there always be a slight movement of the needle on the rev counter or should it be bang on?

I haven't checked the hoses around the intercoolers yet as that might be my next job, which is bumper off I'm presuming.

Thanks

Im not the most mechanically minded but just going by experience on a few of my cars.

Have you tried new temp sender and thermostat? I've changed mine when the idle has been at but out and it's sorted it.
Also just a guess....timing belt? Could that have anything to do with it?

Keeping a close eye on this thread as my needle doesn't like to settle at idle, and runs quiet high on the first start up of the day. I've had the majority of my pipes looked at and replaced very recently by a very good garage so they would have pointed something out if it needed replacing. So my next step was checking the sensors etc. I was going to start by replacing the MAF as I thought this may help?

Try cleaning your throttle body and reset the adaptions, lumpy idle is nearly always vac related so you need to go through the pipes again, esp them under the inlet, look for greasy residues, as this is a good indicator of a split pipe...

Its not timing belt related... ;)

Try cleaning your throttle body and reset the adaptions, lumpy idle is nearly always vac related so you need to go through the pipes again, esp them under the inlet, look for greasy residues, as this is a good indicator of a split pipe...

Its not timing belt related... ;)

Cleaning as in removing the throttle body? That's no biggy. I've recently changed all the split hose under the inlet manni which did help things out but I'l go back and double check!