NEW A3 2.0TDi VS 2000 Audi S3 quattro

I

imported_Strider81

hey guys a mate of mine just bought a a3 2litre tdi and was wandering which car was 'better'?

opinions and specs if u may gentleman.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif

Easy, S3 is 'better'.
It's faster and better spec'd, plus I reckon looks better.

Silly question really comparing the diesel to the S3. They're totally different cars for different jobs.

I have driven a TDI and owned an S3. The S3 wins hands down imo.

The TDI pulls well but lacks that little something. Where as a chipped S3 keeps on going and going. Drives and feels much better.

Plus point for the TDI is mpg i guess.

The TDI is so much more superior, it has better brakes, better suspension, excellent lights, nicer seats, quieter and far faster engine, superb interior and stands out from the other A3's.

DDDDRRRRRRRing.

Oh 6.45 am, time to wake up.

But i'm not biased. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I've driven both and I do prefer the S3, although I really really liked the 2.0 TDi, much more than I expected to. All that torque makes it feel pretty quick and the fuel economy is a huge bonus. I also think the TDi is an easier car to drive but I think that's more about the differences between the new and old generation A3 rather than the engine.

Drive both, afterall, it is your opinion that matters if its you that's going to be driving it!

I was given one of the new A3 TDi's as a courtesy car last time my S3 was in for a service. The TDi was well built, comfortable, (not as good as the S3 recaros), but it was very noisy.

I was very glad to get back into the S3 at the end of the day.

I too had an A3 TDi lone car and it really suprised me. As said already they pull really well. They are well finished as you would expect from any audi but you quickly get bored and the noise wears you down.

When i got my S3 back, it makes you realise how quick the S3 really is relatively when you get it back. The power just keeps coming on and on.

A friend has the tdi, they are a good car but it's not really fair to compare it to an S3, the S3 is the top of the range model, hence the high spec & high price tag.

the diesels are good (ok i might be a litttle biased as i own a 130 tdi) but they'll never quite compare to the S3.

you'd be better off comparing the top of the range (3.2 i think) with all the toys in it.

Mike

My mother has a 2.0TDi Sportback and it's a lovely car which she absolutely adores (well she did have a succession of Volvos before seeing the light!) but it's not on a par desirability-wise with my S3.

One is a nicely made, nice looking (in Akoya), nicely powerful and nicely economical hatchback which suits a middle-aged country lady with a large labrador. It is however only really an exciting car if you share your idea of exciting with my mother. The other is a very cool-looking but subtle (well perhaps not in Nogaro or Imola) pocket rocket which doesn't feel like just any old hatchback and crucially as the top of the A3 tree, its not a car you sit in and think "oh I wish I'd got the slightly better version". I'm actually staggered at how much more feel-good factor it has than my old TQ.

I could've gone for the new A3 instead of the S3 but the 3.2 was alarmingly thirsty and alarmingly more to insure and a bit squidgy, and the 2.0TQ just felt like my 1.8TQ only more refined and thus more dull. Maybe it's my latent boyracer side showing but I felt I'm just too young to drive the new A3, particularly as a sensible-shoes Tdi - made me want to go straight out and buy something insane like a VX200 Turbo. And besides I've never thought the new A3 was as good-looking as the old one which is a very timeless bit of work.

[ QUOTE ]
My mother has a 2.0TDi Sportback and it's a lovely car which she absolutely adores (well she did have a succession of Volvos before seeing the light!) but it's not on a par desirability-wise with my S3.

One is a nicely made, nice looking (in Akoya), nicely powerful and nicely economical hatchback which suits a middle-aged country lady with a large labrador. It is however only really an exciting car if you share your idea of exciting with my mother. The other is a very cool-looking but subtle (well perhaps not in Nogaro or Imola) pocket rocket which doesn't feel like just any old hatchback and crucially as the top of the A3 tree, its not a car you sit in and think "oh I wish I'd got the slightly better version". I'm actually staggered at how much more feel-good factor it has than my old TQ.

I could've gone for the new A3 instead of the S3 but the 3.2 was alarmingly thirsty and alarmingly more to insure and a bit squidgy, and the 2.0TQ just felt like my 1.8TQ only more refined and thus more dull. Maybe it's my latent boyracer side showing but I felt I'm just too young to drive the new A3, particularly as a sensible-shoes Tdi - made me want to go straight out and buy something insane like a VX200 Turbo. And besides I've never thought the new A3 was as good-looking as the old one which is a very timeless bit of work.

[/ QUOTE ]

well put!

I see you have a 500L aswell. I love topolino's and 500's, whats it like to drive - get many stares??? Wanna sell it???

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well put!

I see you have a 500L aswell. I love topolino's and 500's, whats it like to drive - get many stares??? Wanna sell it???

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a dark art to driving the cinquecento which involves double-declutching. Not the easiest thing to master. But otherwise is great fun in town (esp with roof folded back), terrifying out of it! Yes everyone stares particularly seeing as mine is immaculate (was treated to a full-blown rebuilt courtesy of Fiat themselves), painted rosso corsa and wears Roman number plates.

Sadly I couldn't possibly sell it - we've had it in the family for 15 years so would be like selling the dog!

It sounds fantastic, that must have cost a small fortune to be rebuilt be fiat. Any photos?

Yes I recall my father muttering that he could've bought a new Seicento for the money it cost (and I'm pretty sure he was on mate's rates). Definitely worth it though.

No photos unfortunately - I have neither a digital camera nor a scanner!

Anyway very O/T, erm how to compare??????? Well it's prob more economical than the A3 2.0TDi and turns more heads than the S3.

Oh and it gets the girls like nobody's business.

Not especially gentle! But 400 miles is admittedly what I get an a motorway trip - eg London to Leeds and back. So is a steady 80-85 in 6th.

I saw a read-out of 685 miles to empty in my old A3 TQ in February when descending a long mountain pass in Switzerland with a full tank. If only!

Just had me A3 serviced and got a new 2.0tdi S line sportsback for the day. It was the best new audi i have driven the paddle gear shift helped. it did not feel like a tdi and was pretty quick i got 140 taking it back. But my mate has an w reg S3 and that is a far more fun car sticks to the road like glue and goes like stink, but if i was doing big miles it would be hard to choose. And the S3 is always going to hold it price better.Thats just what i think they are both vrey nice cars.