AGU not turning over

kennymeechan

Reaction score
Hi all

New to the forum with a problem with my newly aquired 200 A3 1.8t (AGU engine)

Car was used daily and ran perfect until 2 days ago. Came home from work and locked car as usual. Came out 20 minutes later and when i turn the key to start nothing happens, not even a click from the starter. All other electrics work fine.

The immobiliser lamp turns off as normal on the dash.

So far I have tried;

Changing the battery in the remote (only have 1 key)
Jump start (same story, not a thing when key turned)
Cleaning battery terminals
Checked all fuses
Ran new wire from battery to starter

I think its already had a new starter as the one thats in has a recon sticker on it, and for £100 odd id rather rule out some other bits first.

I also tried a Sealey code reader in the OBD port and it wont link with car. Dont have a VAG-COM as yet.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Kenny​

remote wont stop it starting
id go for earth strap not sure where on the AGU
i had it on a A4 once
then starter maybe a recon but they can go
or there maybe a fuse somewhere one of the a3 lads will be along soon to advise
try bumping it then trying again on the key could have jammed

Thanks for the reply.

I wasnt sure how the immobiliser worked on these so i just changed the battery anyway, was due - was needing to be right at car before it worked......

I put it into first out of gear and rocked it a fair few times to make sure it wasnt jammed, but even if it was it would still click? i get nothing at all.

Also, i had this kinda screech sometimes on startup.

From reading this forum that seems to point to the starter, but this only happened a few times over the course of a few weeks. Would the starter just die so suddenly?

they can do

you can easily rule out an engine earth fault by getting your jump leads and running one jump lead from the neg terminal to a metal bit on the engine.

have you tried bumping it?

the starter live itself isnt fused but i think the soleniod wire is?

Any idea where that fuse is? If its the fuse box or on the battery then they are all fine.

Haven't tried bumping it no.

ignition switch gone. happened to me in asda on thursday. £10.80 form gsf and about 30 mins to change. took me longer coz i took the steering wheel and everything off when i didn't need to. if u iggle the key about and hold the ignition on for a while it should fire up

Exhausted pretty much every option. Bench tested the starter and nothing, dead.

New one in and running perfect again, this week!!