Hi from Chichester, lowering help (a3)

20vttony

www.dubzpac.co.uk
Reaction score
Website
www.trojantimberproducts.co.uk
Hi all
Although i signed up ages ago haven't really had time on here, as my other vehicle keeps me far to busy! I've just put on my Audi a3 8L 20vt a set of mk5 golf gti 18" rims, what i was wondering was how far can i lower it, without doing wheel arch mods, as i've spent ages doing wheel arch mods on my other motor and can't be ar**d to go threw it again.
Will i be able to go 35mm?
Now before you all start telling me the wheels don't fit i bought some pcd adaptors, which by my calcs make the wheels about et36, golf wheels et51 + 15mm pcd adaptors.
Any help appreciated.

I'll just move this to the A3 section Tony

Morning Tony, welcome to the forum.

Depending on tyre size and Rim width, you'll have no trouble lower the car at all. at ET36 you could probably go down 70mm without needing to worry!

Mine's down around 65mm and I run at ET15 rear and ET17 front, I used to run at ET12 rear and ET15 front and got slight rubbing so too it down a few mm all round.

AT ET36 I don't think you'll need to worry at all, unless you've got so biig tyres on there

^^^^^^^
Thanks for that mate. Just what i wanted to hear. They are just standard golf 18" wheels i'm not sure on the width, but running 225/35x18, i'm guessing about 8 to 8.5j

31032012127.jpg

AH yes, 8J I'm fairly sure.

You could drop that 60-70mm without worrying about bodywork.

You will need to change the ARB if you go more than 35-40mm though as it'll start to rub really badly on the driveshaft.

If you want an uprated ARB that won't rub, give me a shout. I've got a mate in pompey who's just removed one from a car he's breaking.

You can go 35mm drop and way lower. if you want to go more than 35mm i would suggest coilies :) you will need droplinks aswell after a 40 mm drop though. Cheers bud

@20vttony - why dont you matt black or sattern black out the rims? IMO i think they would look awesome :) and get a S3 boot spoiler. Cheers buddy

Thanks for all the comments /help. I've been up goodwood today and seen them wheels on a caddy van with orange on the painted bit with black face than metal flaked over all of it, they looked awesome!
I only want to go about 30-35mm, i just want to take the gap away from above the wheels. I've lowered my transporter by 60mm and stuck chrome 20's on it, and i've just about stopped the scrubbing now and don't want to go threw all that again.

Sounds good buddy :) they springs would do the trick :) try H&R or Eibach sport springs, they have a great rep on the forum :) and quality over others. Got any pics of the rims? Cheers Bud

I didn't manage to get a picture of the wheels up Goodwood, they were done by a company in Fareham, I picked up they're card but that's out in the van so can't even check the web site.

The above audi is now up for sale. Not with the golf rims, just the standard 16".
Taxed till end of march,
MOT till 6th March. 207k on the clock, new clutch around 195k (just before i bought it).
For the Mot it will need a ball joint on the o/s/f as one of them is knocking a tad.
The air bag light has been on since the day I bought it 2 years ago, I've never had a problem with that being on. It is probably a connection under the seat somewhere, but I haven't bothered to look.
The abs light has recently come on I've had a quick look round the only thing i can see is one of the plugs on one of the front legs isn't staying on the connection I've tried playing about with it but it made no difference.

I want offers around £500. pm me and i'll get back to you.

Last edited: