Broken DIS

Reaction score
This morning my DIS decided it was going to pack up and not display anything at all? I tried resetting it with the stalk control (thinking I might have knocked it off) but got no response. I also tried the self-dignostic button but the display still showed nothing.

Over the past few weeks the display has started to dim occasionally so I think the screen might have had it, but I'm not sure....any ideas?

Also any ideas on the price/availability of replacement instrument clusters?

Just had a quick look on ebay and someone is selling an instrument cluster with the part number 8L0919930HX....mines a 97R 1.8T Sport....does anyone know if this part will be compatible?

Hi Mate,

Mine is starting to fade around the edges too. I read somewhere on the forum, i think, that the immobiliser is connected to the DIS in some way so this may cause a headache. If i can find the thread i will let you know.

Cheers Simon

Thanks for reply, I've had a read of the post you mention and was all prepared to buy another cluster and get it coded until I got back to the car and it had come on!!.....but wait....it was on without the key being in the ignition???

The DIS had been on all day and drained the battery so the car wouldn't start. I managed to jump it off a colleagues tigra (much to my embarrasment!!!) but ever since the car has deveoloped a stange idle problem.

When you start the car the idle is fine (about 900rpm) but as soon as you drive anywhere and then take it out of gear the idle bounces between 500 and 1000 rpm which makes it tricky to drive in slow moving traffic. After about 5-10secs of bouncing it then returns to normal until you accelerate again and it then repeats the process. I think my car has developed a personality crisis, but does anyone have any more informed opinions??

Hi Mate, No I haven't as I dont know anyone with one only my local stealer. Would this pick up anything that would cause this type of behavour?

Cheers Simon

As far as im aware.....correct me if im wrong.....VAG COM interfaces with the ECU to generate diagnostic interrupts. If the ECU is giving back stupid readings then it should be highlighted by VAG COM.

I would ring the main dealer for advice. But I can remeber this problem on the forum not so long ago, with disconected batteries.

Ok....I took the car for a good hearty spin over the weekend but I haven't seen any noticeable improvement yet, so at lunch today a mate from work hooked it up to VAGcom. I've added below the fault codes it threw up on the engine diagnostic:

3 Faults Found:

16500 - Engine Coolant Temp. Sensor (G62): Implausible Signal
P0116 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

17967 - Throttle Valve Control part (J338): Fault in basic settings
P1559 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

17967 - Throttle Valve Control part (J338): Fault in basic settings
P1559 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

Does anyone what these indicate and whether these could be the cause of the bouncy idle and lumpy feeling?? My mate also did some data logging when we were driving which gives the lambda figures and graphs the idle, I'd attach the data spreadsheet but I'm not sure how to!

Any recommendations on how to cure this would be helpful! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

To add to this I nipped to halfords to get them to check the battery to see if it was the cause of the problem. They tested it and it read 12.74V and 127 crancking amps. Apparently the 127 is low, but I'm not sure if this is because we were sat with the ignition on running the tests or whether the battery is actually fecked /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

As you can probably tell I am mightly confused!!

If you haven't had throttle body cleaned then try that - it certainly helped when I used to have very bad lumpy idle. It's still lumpy, but not as bad.

the 1st one is the coolant temp sensor is the one on the side of the engine that tends to go. This mistakes the temp of the coolant and tends to make it rough when cold.