Faulty Door

onks

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

New to this forum, having recently purchased a 2001 S3.

Hoping someone can help me out.

Recently when closing my drivers door, the display still shows that the door is open, and the interior lights don't go out, including the red door light.
More worrying, is when I lock the car, the alarm doesn't set, as it still thinks the door is open. This doesn't happen all of the time, but is becoming more apparent.

Hope you guys can think of an inexpensive solution.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Guys,

New to this forum, having recently purchased a 2001 S3.

Hoping someone can help me out.

Recently when closing my drivers door, the display still shows that the door is open, and the interior lights don't go out, including the red door light.
More worrying, is when I lock the car, the alarm doesn't set, as it still thinks the door is open. This doesn't happen all of the time, but is becoming more apparent.

Hope you guys can think of an inexpensive solution.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

Simple problem and solution... Dodgy door switch. Get a new one from Audi for a few quid and your problem should be solved!!

Call me stupid !!

Where exactly is this fitted ? is it on the door, or the catch for the door ?

Thanks for the help.

[ QUOTE ]
Call me stupid !!

Where exactly is this fitted ? is it on the door, or the catch for the door ?

Thanks for the help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its where the door meets the pillar when the doors closed... by the thing the door latches on to.

Rich

Scratch what i said before...i was thinking of a different Audi.. D'oH!!

The switch is the int elatch in the door. To get to it you will need to remove the door card and inspect it.

Rich

common problem with the audis- got mine done at finchley audi for £180 as the whole lock had to be changed- so i was told!

Hi All,

As there seems to be a few others with this problem, did any of you guys get the problem resolved and Strider - can you remember how much of the £180 was labour? and was this drivers / passenger side, as my passenger side is starting to go...

How do I go about removing the drivers side inside door trim?
I have an Audi S3 (52 reg) and I would like to remove the trim so that I can fix/replace my faulty switch. Is the trim screwed or clipped in, and where are the screws or clips located?

thanks

Mmmmmm,

Mine has just started to do the same thing. Tried to get the door panel off this weekend, found three screws. One at the top of each end of the door trim and another under the door pull. Was unsure where to lever without breaking anything. Any assistance would great!

Best regards
John.

Well I found out how to take the door panel off after much experimentation. Undo the three screw mention in my last post. The screw behind the door pull also holds a plastic cowling, this justs pulls down and out to reveal two more screws. Undo these and the door panel just lifts straight up and comes free. Now how to get the door lock out? Thats another matter.....

OK the saga continues. I took the plunge and bought a new door latch from Audi for £45. Fitting it is a pig of a job. When I managed to get the old unit out and compare it with the new one side-by-side, it looks like the problem is with the metal actuator arm on the micro switch. On the old unit the actuator arm is bent further towards the bottom of latch.You could actually bend it back into place with some long nose pliers. A bit of trial and error is needed but you can test it by manually engaging the latch with a screwdriver, if you here the switch click, all is well. I hope this helps someone as this looks like quite an issue for other owners.

[ QUOTE ]
OK the saga continues. I took the plunge and bought a new door latch from Audi for £45. Fitting it is a pig of a job. When I managed to get the old unit out and compare it with the new one side-by-side, it looks like the problem is with the metal actuator arm on the micro switch. On the old unit the actuator arm is bent further towards the bottom of latch.You could actually bend it back into place with some long nose pliers. A bit of trial and error is needed but you can test it by manually engaging the latch with a screwdriver, if you here the switch click, all is well. I hope this helps someone as this looks like quite an issue for other owners.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you tell me the part number of the door latch? My drivers side door has recently started playing up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I take it the new latch solved the problem?

the easiest place to get the latch from is Audi and the parts chaps are normally willing to help, just ask for the door latch, they seem to know what your after straight away!

if you really need the part number I can post it tonight but will need to know exactely what car you've got, Audi will also more than likely have to order the part in that's why I asked them, then you can always take it back if it's the wrong one!

I have exactly the same problem of late, and I also got another flat battery as I didn't press the key fob until I was walking away from the car and lo and behold it was dead in the morning again.

I only noticed last night that the red light on the door doesn't go off at all and also when I lock the car the alarm doesn't set so the lights don't flash on the car.

Now does anyone have a part number for the latch?
Did I see another post on this a few weeks back, sorry but I have been away working for the past two weeks so have lost contact a bit.

[ QUOTE ]
the easiest place to get the latch from is Audi and the parts chaps are normally willing to help, just ask for the door latch, they seem to know what your after straight away!

if you really need the part number I can post it tonight but will need to know exactely what car you've got, Audi will also more than likely have to order the part in that's why I asked them, then you can always take it back if it's the wrong one!

[/ QUOTE ]

and read... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/comeon.gif

more seriousily, if anyone really doesn't have any luck with the dealers and needs the part number post what your car is and I'll look it up.