Volks AutosChris Nott
    3rd Gear

Status

Anyone had problems with XS/Relentless Manifold?

There are alot of these out there now. What problems have people had so far if any.
    B5 v1 Tip, B5 Exhaust Manifold, Beach Buggy Hybrid, Pipewerx D.P and cat bypass, Miltek resonated cat back, AH Fabs v2 Intercooler, S2000 Filter, 83mm 9.5:1 CP Pistons, Brute Rods, Bosch 550cc Injectors, Oil Catch can, N249 delete, B5 Phenolic Gasket, Devils Own Water Meth Kit, Forge baffled sump.
    H&R Springs, Koni FSD Shocks, s3dave's rear tie bars, R32 ARB's, LCR Brembo's, 18" ttrs alloys, replaced all suspension bushes, 15/20mm spacers front/rear, Vibratechnics Engine Mounts.

2. # ADS
    ADS

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    I think there is only one fail on the welds reported so far, (prawns) but that maybe an unfair claim as he has used it on the track..
    If this should withstand this is another question....

Welly is not noted to be light footed, and it seemed ok for him the few days he had it on..
    Last edited by s3dave; 31st March 2012 at 01:08.

5th Gear

Status
    +1 on that.

They are awesome.

Only comment is that they run very hot in a very very confined space.

When adapting the heat shields at install just ensure that it remains adequate to protect pipe work.

Can be fiddily to avoid annoying rattle. Took a bit of playing around.

Ming Blue S3, Stage 3 Hybrid Turbo, Custom Map, Bosch 480 injectors, Custom TIP, Forge FMIC, 3" Downpipe, 200 Cell Sport CAT, Full Stainless, XS Power Mani, 6 Paddle Clutch, Red silicone hoses, LCR Brembo's, Forge 007p, KW Suspension Kit, Green filter, THS Mounts, 11mm & 16mm spacers, H&R Anti-roll bars, RS6 18" alloys, Michelin PS3's, Red Dog Bone Mount, Neuspeed quickshift, Boost Gauge, Aero wipers, LCR splitter, Forge Tie-bars, LED bulbs, Armrest, Custom TT pedals.

6th Gear

Status
    I know that Westy has one of these ready to go on his car, and he has had the welds beefed up to try and stop any future cracks appearing, I'm also pretty sure that prawns replacement Mani is going straight to the same place. I think it might be a necessary precaution after seeing the damage to prawns

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    Dave: your thread title is missleading, and implies you have a problem.

it's a bit like me putting:

*JENSEN BUTTON DEAD*

...at some point in the distant future (see what I mean?)

Anyway, back on topic, To my knowledge mine is the only one to break thats been made to fit and work properly in the first place, but mine is a modified V1 manifold and not the current V2 batch.

Little difference in the way it's built, so only time will tell. Mine's being beefed up by Dave at Stainless Engineering too like Westys
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    Dave: your thread title is missleading, and implies you have a problem.

it's a bit like me putting:

*JENSEN BUTTON DEAD*

...at some point in the distant future (see what I mean?)

Anyway, back on topic, To my knowledge mine is the only one to break thats been made to fit and work properly in the first place, but mine is a modified V1 manifold and not the current V2 batch.

Little difference in the way it's built, so only time will tell. Mine's being beefed up by Dave at Stainless Engineering too like Westys
    Agreed. I panicked a little too.

Ming Blue S3, Stage 3 Hybrid Turbo, Custom Map, Bosch 480 injectors, Custom TIP, Forge FMIC, 3" Downpipe, 200 Cell Sport CAT, Full Stainless, XS Power Mani, 6 Paddle Clutch, Red silicone hoses, LCR Brembo's, Forge 007p, KW Suspension Kit, Green filter, THS Mounts, 11mm & 16mm spacers, H&R Anti-roll bars, RS6 18" alloys, Michelin PS3's, Red Dog Bone Mount, Neuspeed quickshift, Boost Gauge, Aero wipers, LCR splitter, Forge Tie-bars, LED bulbs, Armrest, Custom TT pedals.

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    V1 manifold and not the current V2 batch.

Little difference in the way it's built, so only time will tell.
    What are the release dates for V1 and V2?

Neutral

Status
    Is it the same as the relentless one? My friends one cracked last week with less then 1000miles on his gt2871r build, he is now going custom manifold

6th Gear

Status
    I have to say mines coming off next week as ive developed a blow. I took the head off the other week as thought it was the manifold to turbo gasket or dp to turbo so replaced both but it's still there. Engines coming out on Wednesday to sort the clutch and also to find the exhaust blow, I'm hoping it's a gasket but a little bit worried its the manifold as the manifold is the only thing left to check. Chances are though it's just a gasket blowing.

Only other issue I've had is getting the hidden nut on the turbo stud, what a f****ing pain the arse....

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagworld View Post
    Is it the same as the relentless one? My friends one cracked last week with less then 1000miles on his gt2871r build, he is now going custom manifold
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbuggy View Post
    I have to say mines coming off next week as ive developed a blow. I took the head off the other week as thought it was the manifold to turbo gasket or dp to turbo so replaced both but it's still there. Engines coming out on Wednesday to sort the clutch and also to find the exhaust blow, I'm hoping it's a gasket but a little bit worried its the manifold as the manifold is the only thing left to check. Chances are though it's just a gasket blowing.

Only other issue I've had is getting the hidden nut on the turbo stud, what a f****ing pain the arse....
    Guys, can you both get photos of your mani's when they come off please so we can see where the cracks (if they have cracked) are.

Here's a few pics of mine after s3dave reinforced the welds:

8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Yes it is, can you get hold of it? As westy says, it will help people if you can take a pic of the crack to see if it is failing in the same places..

6th Gear

Status
    No probs, I know mine hasn't cackled like prawns as I can clearly see there's nothing wrong with it in the same place. I think mine is a gasket issue but will be removing it anyway to ensure no leaks.

5th Gear

Status
    Thats interesting.

I have to say that mine also seemed fine when I had mine apart last/this week.

The version 2 has lots of extra welds and my exhaust guy was very satisfied with it and felt strengthening work, whilst possible, seemed unnecessary. However, each mani despite being very similar will not be identical.

Will be running more tests this Tuesday on the dyno once it's off the ramps and pieced back together with new top mounts and that will provide a clearer indication of where it's at.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Changed title to make it more relevant...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Status
    I'm also still waiting on some pics from those of you that have made heat shields to protect the turbo outlet hose.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

3rd Gear

Status
    Thanks Tufty for the title change, had a couple of beers before posting. So recommendations so far are to get the welds beefed up. Like Westy I would also like to see what people have done heat shield wise.
    B5 v1 Tip, B5 Exhaust Manifold, Beach Buggy Hybrid, Pipewerx D.P and cat bypass, Miltek resonated cat back, AH Fabs v2 Intercooler, S2000 Filter, 83mm 9.5:1 CP Pistons, Brute Rods, Bosch 550cc Injectors, Oil Catch can, N249 delete, B5 Phenolic Gasket, Devils Own Water Meth Kit, Forge baffled sump.
    H&R Springs, Koni FSD Shocks, s3dave's rear tie bars, R32 ARB's, LCR Brembo's, 18" ttrs alloys, replaced all suspension bushes, 15/20mm spacers front/rear, Vibratechnics Engine Mounts.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    I'm also still waiting on some pics from those of you that have made heat shields to protect the turbo outlet hose.
    Mine will be ready in around a week,just received my injectors,nearly there lol

Audi S3- 1.8T Quattro
    Liquid Yellow
    Audi R8 Rims

Its never finished!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by liquids3 View Post
    Mine will be ready in around a week,just received my injectors,nearly there lol
    Not good for me mate, I'm fitting mine next Saturday
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    Not good for me mate, I'm fitting mine next Saturday
    If you do decide to fit a heat sheild,you'll want to mount it after mani is on anyway,so wnt be a problem,so do you have everything ready,injectors fmic dp?

Audi S3- 1.8T Quattro
    Liquid Yellow
    Audi R8 Rims

Its never finished!

Neutral

Status
    This wasnt on a TT by any chance ? i saw a TT for sale with a GT28 eliminator with xs/relentless manifold

XFi
    2nd Gear

Status
    Getting mine fitted on Monday and picking it up on Wednesday, cant wait! Hope I don't get any problems.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by v5 tt View Post
    This wasnt on a TT by any chance ? i saw a TT for sale with a GT28 eliminator with xs/relentless manifold
    Curious on how these eliminators perform after being mated with a high flow Mani as it is a possibility with a close friends car as contemplating this or a hybrid k04?
    Power & Torque 335bhp 285ftlb
    0-60 4.64 1/4 mile 13.02
    My GTX3071r Build Thread
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-f...ld-thread.html

3rd Gear

Status
    Didnt have any problems on mine so far. My car is stock.

I beleive those are not designed to run anything other than a K04 or K04 hybrid. A GT turbo would probably need a higher quality manifold.

As said above, only fitting was the hard part. Im happy with the rest

Also note that for the price we are paying...im even more than happy with the product
    Audi S3 AMK
    Relentless-Manifold, Relentless-3" downpipe decat, Forge 007 DV, autobahn88 TIP, K&N Panel filter, EBC yellowstuff brake pads, R32 ARB, Custom column dual gauge pod...waiting for a remap!

For help/info/pricing on xs manifold and downpipe pm me (not affiliated, nor a reseller trader, just an enthusiast!)

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by v5 tt View Post
    yes it was, i think he is going to keep it now, he was talking about custom manifolds last night and converting the turbo to t3 flange

RIP S3dave

Status
    i have had several people call me asking about things re manifolds for k04 and of those who ran xs/relentless, all of them were on their 2nd or more after theirs cracked. These were V1's

V2 weld quality looks no different, and consistency between them is always "inconsistent" anyhows. Pot Luck plays a factor.

Relentless have been told by Samy re the cracks and say they are going to do something different and send him a sample. They have been told by sammy from me to backpurge the welds.

We will see.
    who knows..

Lottery anyone?
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

NEW NEW NEW eShop now LIVE>
    www.badger5.biz

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by badger5 View Post
    i have had several people call me asking about things re manifolds for k04 and of those who ran xs/relentless, all of them were on their 2nd or more after theirs cracked. These were V1's

V2 weld quality looks no different, and consistency between them is always "inconsistent" anyhows. Pot Luck plays a factor.

Relentless have been told by Samy re the cracks and say they are going to do something different and send him a sample. They have been told by sammy from me to backpurge the welds.

We will see.
    who knows..

Lottery anyone?
    I'm hoping my beefed up welds will last a bit longer then.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

3rd Gear

Status
    So any further pics of cracked manifolds. Where on the mani are they cracking. @Westy. Did you get all the welds gone over. Any pics of heatshields etc.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishDave View Post
    So any further pics of cracked manifolds. Where on the mani are they cracking. @Westy. Did you get all the welds gone over. Any pics of heatshields etc.
    I'm yet to make a heat shield. The only issues I had at the weekend was the way the mani and the DP fit around each other, or dont in this situation! The DP flange around the top bolt hole wouldn't clear the 4th runner of the mani and I had to grind away some of the material to make it fit flush. Once it was in I then had the problem of not being able to fit a bolt into the hole as the bolt head would foul the 4th runner on the mani too!

Here was the clearance:

Last edited by Westy; 10th April 2012 at 16:42.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread