Exhaust wrapping

Westy

Reaction score
As some of you will know I'm just 1 week away from rebuilding my engine. One of the things being bolted on will be an XS exhaust manifold. Now, there's been a few issues with these manis already with them melting silicone hoses and cracking. I've hopefully sorted out the crack risk by getting the welds beefed up (thanks s3dave) but i'm now looking into wrapping the thing like in the following link:Heat wrapping exhaust - uk-mkivs

Has anyone got any experience with this and different types of wrap? Will it be ok on our super hot cars and is it worth doing this rather then fabricating a make shift heatshield to put between the mani and any hoses.

Any thoughts or advice would be good.

Thanks

Always been an iffy subject. People say that wrapping stainless manifolds will cause them to crack quicker. Stainless heats up and cools pretty quickly and wrapping will retain that heat showing up weaknesses? Who knows for 100% certain but yeah just going by what the ancient debate states lol. Plus the wrap can retain oil which could catch fire and you know what that means..

Could always get it ceramic coated which is slightly better. Wrapping usually goes very tatty after a while too so will look pretty pants.

Wouldn't wanna pay for ceramic coating on a manifold I could trust not to crack after 5mins tbh...

I have used Thermo Tec stuff in the past and find it doesn't turn to glass like cheaper stuff does...

Plenty of heat shielding on the XS manis looks to be one of the better options imo... use the aluminium sheet stuff to reflect heat away from stuff you don't want to melt... bear in mind the under bonnet sound proofing too... you may need to remove this or at least replace with heat reflecting cloth to stop things getting too hot... the scuttle can get really hot but we fitted a shed load of heat shield to the TT we did recently and it made a hell of a difference...

<tuffty/>

Dont you dare wrap it Westicles.

heat wrap stops as much heat getting out into the bay, but also keeps heat in inside the wrap.

More heat = manifold cracks sooner.

Avoid it.

I wraped mine in heat wrap,made it imposible to fit,and trust me i tryed.id make a sheild inbetween,i made one up yesterday,just inbetween turbo mani,now after rethink,im going to make it longer,keep the heat down,so have it going across the top of mani as wel.im actualy geting my mate to remake the finished product,in a metal with good heat resitiant propertys,he works for airbus,so hopefully high qualitly work!