Oil filter housing breather hose question-BOOST LEAK?

Scullies

Reaction score
I have found that the crankcase breather hose on the oil filter is bust. I had a look on vagcat.com for the part number and on the diagram it shows this pipe is blanked off on the oil filter housing.
Car : 2001 S3 AMK
Part number : 06A115418

My question is, will there be a problem with blanking the oil filter housing? Will this cause extra pressure in the engine or will the pressure be released into the rocker cover and out through that breaker hose.

What I would like to do is blank off the oil filter breather with $3 part and fit a oil catch can. Will be one less hose it the bay to plumb.
New genuine replacement breather hose is around $50.:wtf:

Last edited:
Are you talking about the 90 degree solid pipe, its probably best to have it as a breather, as it will stop the pressure building up in the lower part of the engine, additional pressure might find it's way out somewhere else and cause leaks,
There's a very good guide in the stickys for how to install a catch tank and simplify the breather system

Yip, thats the pipe. I find it strange that there is a part number for the piece to blank this breather off.
I had a look at the sticky, going to do this but was wondering if blanking of the breather does cause issues.
Common sense is telling me I need the breather pipe :yes:

pipes.jpg

Do you mean part no. 06A 103 213F in the pic above?

06A103213F 99-06 VW Beetle Golf Jetta AUDI TT A4 1.8 Breather Hose 99 00 01 02 03 04 05 06: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

<tuffty/>

Reactions: fitzdog88
Same one, thanks Tuffy, you a legend.
Funny how I cant search for that part on Ebay from here in Dubai.

Another question about all those pipes.

The part # 06A-133-783-AS that comes off under the mani, divides into 2, 06A-133-783-BA and 06A-133-783-AT
06A-133-783-BA then divides again, one goes to 06A-133-789 and the other goes back to the mani.

When I fit a catch can, must I block off the fitting under the mani and use the fitting on the left side of the mani to feed 06A-133-789 and keep the check valve in the system?

Sorry, my bad.
Its not ebay, its amazon!!!!

And I had a look at the sticky again, shows the plumbing.
Note to self, never go full ******!!

You essentially bin most of the stuff in the pic above... I have posted about this a few times tbh but for the PCV/catch tank solution you replace the rubber 'T' (06A 103 247) with a stright piece of rubber or silicon hose to the plastic pipe going to the top breather...

Under the inlet mani you keep the small vac feeds to the FPR and DV/N249, block off the PCV one in the middle and disassemble the servo hose from the 'V' hose setup on the end of the manifold just fixing this the outlet coming out the mani on the end (cyl 1)

There is a check valve by the servo on the S3 so no need to fit anything else...

<tuffty/>

never hold back the inner ******, i set mine free very often! :nyah:

on my a3 i blocked the nipple from the underside of the mani, and plugged one of the splits on the hose that goes to the brake servo, looks like its different on the s3 tho,

Why do I get air blowing out the dipstick pipe and this broken crankcase breather pipe when I do a boost leak test?
I can't wrap my head around this. Is the air pushing past the piston rings and into the crankcase? I have put 2bar into the TIP and the system won't stay pressurised, air is flowing out the breather pipe and dipstick as quickly as its flowing into the system. Can that much air pass by the rings or is there a major problem?

Why do I get air blowing out the dipstick pipe and this broken crankcase breather pipe when I do a boost leak test?
I can't wrap my head around this. Is the air pushing past the piston rings and into the crankcase? I have put 2bar into the TIP and the system won't stay pressurised, air is flowing out the breather pipe and dipstick as quickly as its flowing into the system. Can that much air pass by the rings or is there a major problem?

Valves will be open allowing pressure to enter the cylinders and subsequently the block... finds it way back out the dipstick etc... hence the reason you can't block the PCV in the block else it will blow out the filler cap along with your engine oil :)

Not enough pressure to seal the rings in the cyl on a boost leak test... so will easily blow past...

<tuffty/>