S3 upraised suspension.

g60leigh

Reaction score
Looking at getting a bit lower. But ona tight budget.

Had a read through here and most of the comments are for A3's
Also searched online and most of the traders don't list S3
So...
What are you running on your S3?
What's it like?
How much was it and where did you get it from?

Cheers

Damian from DPM performance is on here a lot. He knows the cars and the products well.

I'm running a kw suspension kit. Purchased for very reasonable price from him. Good all round kit that's firm but comfortable for fast road driving.

Lowered 20mm front 15mm back as a result. Around £500.

Problem is nothing is cheap with s3 lowering. you could get a kit for around 200 but chances are you will end up needing or wanting tie bars at another 200. new top mounts and drop links i think. just get ready for more than you think!!

Problem is nothing is cheap with s3 lowering. you could get a kit for around 200 but chances are you will end up needing or wanting tie bars at another 200. new top mounts and drop links i think. just get ready for more than you think!!

True. My camber was well off after lowering. Bushes and spacers are also worth doing at the same time.

Damian from DPM performance is on here a lot. He knows the cars and the products well.

I'm running a kw suspension kit. Purchased for very reasonable price from him. Good all round kit that's firm but comfortable for fast road driving.

Lowered 20mm front 15mm back as a result. Around £500.

When you say kw suspension kit, are you saying you've got coilovers or shocks and springs?

£500 is cheap if they're coilovers, even for the V1 basic!

Don't forget that lowering an s3 requires adjustable rear tie rods as well to adjust the rear camber as without them and setting up you'll be destroying the inside of your tyres within no time at all, and the annoying fact about the adjustable rear tie rods is that they can cost as much as the coilovers themselves in some cases!

Unfortunately lowering an s3 isn't exactly cheap. My last s3 I bought a set of AP coilovers for £430, bought KW adjustable rear tie rods for £185, then got APS to fit them all and do a 4wheel laser alignment once it was all fitted, so the grand total ended up being more like £750, and that was with getting one of the cheapest coilover kits available at the time (about 2 years ago).

I'm also looking to lower my current s3 on a right budget, so looking at a set of FK AK coilovers (although I had FK's on an old A3 and they were pretty damn firm which resulted in them wearing the top mounts out) or if they are available a set of JOM coilovers as people seem to really rate them for the money with them lasting well as well. These damn adjustable rear tie rods annoy me though!!!

Shocks and springs. Wasn't interested in coilovers.

Picked up h&r anti rolls bars, forge adjustable tie bars and forge hub centric spacers to really nail the handling, the camber how it sits on the road.

Around ...£500, £250, £300 , £180 respectively + fitting. Then 4 wheel laser alignment at about £70. It all adds up.

Shocks and springs. Wasn't interested in coilovers.

Picked up h&r anti rolls bars, forge adjustable tie bars and forge hub centric spacers to really nail the handling, the camber how it sits on the road.

Around ...£500, £250, £300 , £180 respectively + fitting. Then 4 wheel laser alignment at about £70. It all adds up.

It sure does!

And soit starts!! poor guy wont know whats hit him. oh well get cracking!!!!

Lol.
I have just seen the auto spell check correction in the title.

I was expecting it to cost a fair bit.

I'm getting an awful noise when under load at speeds above about 60mph

It sounds as though something is rubbing/vibrating inside the top of the rear drivers side wheel arch.

I have not look yet but am guessing there is a top mount of some description or suspension link that may be worn and causing it.
So it seems like now is a good time to uprate

Could also be a wheel bearing on it's way out, mine is currently humming and gets louder the more I increase the speed.

Has anyone changed a rear wheel bearing on here? Is it a DIY job or need a large press?

Chz

Has anyone changed a rear wheel bearing on here? Is it a DIY job or need a large press?

Chz

Afaik they are pressed in. I'm getting my local mechanic to do mine, can't be ar$ed to do it myself, plus I've never done one before so don't want to get stuck halve way through.

It's never cheap lowering the S3 but it's worth while it weel for the smile factor once it's done!

Damian @ DPM Performance

That's true, when I had the AP's fitted and aligned on my old s3 it completely transformed the handling on it, from boaty to planted, I had an awesome weekend away in Wales in it for a driving weekend once it was all done, smiles all weekend!