1.8t Clutch problem

IanA38L

Reaction score
Hi guys im 99% sure the clutch is on its way out (typical slipping where you get no power until you lift off slightly and then get a boost of power, and slips up steep hills etc). Only thing im confused about is it only does it after you drive it for a while. For the first half hour of driving its pretty normal and you can give it full power without it slipping (at least not noticeably). So im just wondering if thats normal with a clutch about to go or if it could be something else?

A slipping clutch doesnt give you "no power"

If its slipping, the revs will rise out of proportion to the road speed.

So for instance you'll be on the motorway, in 5th at 70, give it full throttle, and the revs quickly climb to say 4000rpm, even though you've only accellerated to around 75 and should only be doing 3000rpm. When you back off the power the revs will drop back down as the clutch manages to grip again.

Its also typically worse in higher gears.

To me, "no power" means you plant the throttle and nothing happens, no change in revs and little/no accelleration, which is distinctly different to what happens with a slipping clutch.

A slipping clutch doesnt give you "no power"

If its slipping, the revs will rise out of proportion to the road speed.

So for instance you'll be on the motorway, in 5th at 70, give it full throttle, and the revs quickly climb to say 4000rpm, even though you've only accellerated to around 75 and should only be doing 3000rpm. When you back off the power the revs will drop back down as the clutch manages to grip again.

Its also typically worse in higher gears.

To me, "no power" means you plant the throttle and nothing happens, no change in revs and little/no accelleration, which is distinctly different to what happens with a slipping clutch.

Yer thats what i meant really, iv had clutches go in other cars and it feels exactly like they did, but the other cars did it constantly, this only does it after a longish journey, on short drives its not noticable.

Could it maybe be oil contamination?

Leaking past the crank seal or input shaft seal when the engines hot, and making its way onto the clutch?

Cheers guys, took it into QRsport today and they reckon its an 02 sensor (came up as fault code so fingers crossed... I'm still pretty sure the clutch is on it's way but hope this keeps it goin a bit longer :)

Thought I'd Finnish this post off... had the o2 sensor and clutch done and all problems are solved! Thanks for your help