Sick car

Jimgrim77

Reaction score
Disaster has struck on the way home from the Vue cinema tonight!

Sat at the lights about to pull onto the motorway having enjoyed the hunger games tonight when I applied about 2/3 throttle to pull away from a range rover sport to hear a mechanical / hissing noise from the engine bay.

I immediately eased off and nursed the car home however it's pitch black so when I popped the hood really couldn't see squat. I could tell that a vacuum hose had split at the front but it doesn't explain a kind of grind noise that I could hear and a increased turbo whine/whirring.

Have to say that this explanation sucks but im absolutely gutted and hope that it's not too serious.

I had thought that my little project was nearing completion but it's back to the drawing board for me.

Sweat dreams all

Sounds like a boost pipe mate. Either that or the turbo has blown :-/

Did cross my mind but the machanical/grinding etc...is odd. If have major power loss if turbo whereas this noise was the car kind of saying...take it easy I don't fancy going any quicker. At slower speed and taking it gingerly, the noise reduced dramatically. Im wondering hose/downpipe/mani but i'll know more tomorrow.

Fingers crossed not another turbo...surely to god I'm not that unlucky.

Could be all sorts of things Jim, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

parts like the turbo don't often just 'fail' like that. When I popped my boost hose on saturday the car wouldn't even run, then on my first attempt to seal it up, the car drove, but made THE most terrible noise, I was convinced the turbo had popped when the hose popped, but it turned out to be the air leaking through the tiniest hole, sounded metallic and bad, but wasn't anything to worry about in the end.

About to take a look....fingers crossed. It had better be a hose! Thanks

ah yes, the XS manifold, beacuse it comes so high up then loops back down, heats up the turbo outlet far more than the standard manifold would.

On mine it fried the silicon until it went brittle, then it popped.

Mine exploded to the point where the car wouldn't run, but it's entirely possible yours has just caused a small split.

if you're on the standard charge pipe, it'll be under the bend so hard to spot as well. I spent 5 minutes looking for a popped off hose, even checked the turbo outlet but didn't notice the split.

When I realised all the joints were still OK, I started looking over each bit of silicon more closely, then found this monster:

97ff0b73.jpg

ah yes, the XS manifold, beacuse it comes so high up then loops back down, heats up the turbo outlet far more than the standard manifold would.

On mine it fried the silicon until it went brittle, then it popped.

Mine exploded to the point where the car wouldn't run, but it's entirely possible yours has just caused a small split.

if you're on the standard charge pipe, it'll be under the bend so hard to spot as well. I spent 5 minutes looking for a popped off hose, even checked the turbo outlet but didn't notice the split.

When I realised all the joints were still OK, I started looking over each bit of silicon more closely, then found this monster:

97ff0b73.jpg

ouch! hmmmm....this is starting to sound oh so familiar. If i resolve, how have you prevented from happening again? The mani is so ****** close!

Sorry to hear buddy!,i take it the standard turbo hose,is'nt great then,im in process of same modifications as jim,what make of turbo pipe would you recomend?,sorry of topic!

Sorry to hear buddy!,i take it the standard turbo hose,is'nt great then,im in process of same modifications as jim,what make of turbo pipe would you recomend?,sorry of topic!

The forge one is slightly different grade of silicone to be able to cope with the added heat but dont know whether it'll be able to cope with the XS being so close! Untested really.

heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding...

Reactions: deeman88
The forge one is slightly different grade of silicone to be able to cope with the added heat but dont know whether it'll be able to cope with the XS being so close! Untested really.

I already had forge ones on it throughout. I haven't gone to look yet but when i remove the heat shield, it should prove interesting.

I'll update in the next few hours. If it is the pipework near the xs power mani, everyone might need to review their heat shielding in due course as I imagine that Prawn and, possibly myself, might not be the only people to fall foul.

Interestingly, mine lasted almost 2000 miles of road and dyno use without an issue, but 2 hours of constant abuse on the track was enough to cook it in a morning. Mine's running low boost though, so higher boost on a road car will make more heat.

Without question though, some form of heat sheild needs to be made up between the manifold and turbo outlet, or this will keep on happening.

Rather than wrapping the hose, I'd prefer to have something solid like alloy heat shield in the gap, as the airgap behind a shield is just as important as the shield itself.

I reckon a little alloy bracket utilising one of the redundant holes on the back of the rocker cover could be fairly neat, and hold an alloy sheild in between the manifold and outlet.

I reckon a little alloy bracket utilising one of the redundant holes on the back of the rocker cover could be fairly neat, and hold an alloy sheild in between the manifold and outlet.

I dont mind drilling through the bulk head to fit a bracket but it'll be easier for me to do with the head off in 2 weeks.

You want it bolted to the engine really so it moves with the engine. You don't want anything solid between engine / bulkhead apart from engine mounts as it all moves so much.

i think a little bit of angle alloy from B&Q and some alloy plate could make up a nice simple heat shield. there are several redundant threaded holes on the back of the rocker cover to use

You want it bolted to the engine really so it moves with the engine. You don't want anything solid between engine / bulkhead apart from engine mounts as it all moves so much.

i think a little bit of angle alloy from B&Q and some alloy plate could make up a nice simple heat shield. there are several redundant threaded holes on the back of the rocker cover to use

Hmmm, definitely something to look into ASAP. I'm glad you lads had your manis fitted before mine. I've already got the welds strengthened as you know ;)

Reactions: liquids3
heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding... heatshielding...

What's your point?

What you ACTUALLY want to do is somehow convince the guys who have the secret recipe to Starlite to let you have some of it.

THE NATO GREEN EGG - YouTube

Starlite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Starlite, the nuclear blast-defying plastic that could change the world - Telegraph

Liam

Quick update... Heatshield and hoses are all intact.

But...the xs power Mani might have a leak. However, as we are all aware...access is a real ar*e and we need to get a proper look at it to be sure.

Early indications are that when I had the new clutch and flywheel installed, the sub frame was dropped and when re-assembled the downpipe must have been knocked as I had a rattle on a heat shield which has got gradually worse.

However, I wonder whether other things were at play and we are going to take down the downpipe, re-assemble and at the same time check the manifold properly.

To be honest, it's a nightmare and we'll only know when it's all apart but at least it'll be sorted.

Following prawns situation with the hoses, I might get shield made as that mani gets real hot real fast and as it contracts and expands there is a lot of movement in a very small space. Something's happened in there but time will hopefully tell what it was.

I'll sort a few things when off the road like then boost gauge and xenon replacements and hope to be up and running sometime next week.

I'll try to get some pics uploaded. That dyno day will have to wait a bit.

amazing.
i enjoyed reading that.

thanks

I know - it's amazing shizzle.

Everything indicates that it's actually real and not a wind up. But why it hasn't been marketed is amazing and an EPIC fail.

The NATO nuke test is pretty cool.

If only VAG could license it and wrap it around some bits in our engine bays.

That would be some handy "for shizzle" for sure.

I really hope it's not the manifold Jim. If you have a look in my thread you'll see the extra welding I just had done on my xs mani to try and strengthen it against the issue prawn had.

You and me both.

I reckon it is the Mani as the leak noise was consistent with its location. I'm just hoping that the bolts have worked the self loose than a crack/leak.

We are having to strip it all down. I'll take a look then.

factory cars ALL have the heat wrap around the turbo outlet hoses...

why do you think running more power, and without heatshielding at all is a step fwd?

think about it guys

You and me both.

I reckon it is the Mani as the leak noise was consistent with its location. I'm just hoping that the bolts have worked the self loose than a crack/leak.

We are having to strip it all down. I'll take a look then.
Hope its a bolt as wel,took me hour's to do mine,never want to fit one again!,hope you have a better day,best of luck!

Ive also just done then same,spent today finaly fitting heat shield,not guna be as good as prawns i doubt,and not going to make a batch of them,but was worried about extra heat,and cool turbo temps,prevension is the key to success,might post a pic tomoz,not the best fabrication ever but it does the job!

Yea took me a while triming mine down,but will do the job,had some sheet metal lying around,so y not,same hear with mine,car is just sat there,injectors on the way fmic dp and map now,just wanted to make shield to keep temps down more than anything,i did wrap my mani in heat rap to start with,untill i relised it would be imposible to fit with it on.i would post a pic but im on my ****** iphone.

Engine top mounts were my problem. Engine having a disco dance under the bonnet at 2000rpm+. Ordered the uprated parts and Will be back in the saddle middle of next week.

Have adjusted and adapted the heat shield as opposed to manufacturing a new one.

All is looking good. Will pop around Adam when its done.

Jill :)