Thomas Quattro Sport

Alais DJA

Reaction score
Here is my 1.8 TQS...from Audi Oxford, Manager's Own Car - Purchased July 2011

At this point, the currrent mods were my sons first dummy holder, and my New Era Turntablist Flat Peak.

Southampton-20110922-00108.jpg

First main visit at Cadnam Garage for "Stage 1", was the Re-Map, and Exhaust.

Up he went, some duck oil, and a few cuts here and there, and it's off with the cat....happy days! This was then sold to the scrap metal man, for £55, which itself paid for the backbox.....very happy.

IMG-20111008-00114.jpg

With the cat off, new gasket on, we started fitting the 3" de-cat.

IMG-20111008-00116.jpg

This, was the point when we realised that the de-cat was not suitable for the TQS because of the prop. Not major, but certainly
made for a fun afternoon.....

IMG-20111008-00117-1.jpg

Plenty of heat......

NewForest-20111008-00115.jpg

And finally....fully custom 3" de-cat

IMG-20111008-00118.jpg

It was an extremely tight fit, less than 2mm clearence from the prop. However, with the additional strength of the powerflex dogbone mount restricting movement in the engine, and upgraded engine mounts, no more knocking on shift...thank god.

NewForest-20111008-00119.jpg

And of course, the 3" Stainless Pipe, i didnt go for the optional extra's of silencers.

NewForest-20111008-00120.jpg

I've always wanted a big centred exhaust since I saw Batman....so considering I had to cut bumper to fit....it had to be done.
Central oval model'ed by No.1 son.

IMG-20110917-00096.jpg

A slow break in on the way back, and a clean up next day...

Southampton-20120122-00254.jpg

Exhaust.....DONE.

Next up were the Eibachs.

***Thanks to Damien @DWP Performance****

Eibach Pro Kit, 20mm Front, 25mm Rear.

IMG-20120214-00305.jpg

Nearside rear left me a present.....

NewForest-20120214-00308.jpg

Why Eibachs?....you get the performance, and drop without looking like your on £50 lowering springs...handles superb.

NewForest-20120214-00307.jpg

Very happy with the final drop, especially when the 17's go on in May.

IMG-20120314-00376.jpg

Springs....DONE

Last edited:
Nice work,how does it sound ?

Engine at a glance....

1.8T, KO3s, Carbonio Air Intake

IMG-20120311-00372-1.jpg

While my Mrs was (trying) to cook sunday roast, plasic off, and removed the broken silver paint with some nail varnish remover.

IMG-20120311-00370.jpg

And then , it was Matt black.

IMG-20120311-00371.jpg

See.....much better.

5V TURBO Cover.....DONE

Nice work,how does it sound ?

It's a very, very deep bass burble on full throttle, it's spits fire after a few red-line bounces. I really like when it pushes the boost pressure through the pipe a bangs on shift.....there's not many feelings like it. I actually leaned toward the TQS because I could get a centred piece, I'm not a fan of the twin pea shooter look. Big, bad, and heavy.

It's a very, very deep bass burble on full throttle, it's spits fire after a few red-line bounces. I really like when it pushes the boost pressure through the pipe a bangs on shift.....there's not many feelings like it. I actually leaned toward the TQS because I could get a centred piece, I'm not a fan of the twin pea shooter look. Big, bad, and heavy.

The rear set up on the TQS is the same as the S3 as far as I am aware, and so the centre piece would have been as easy to do.

It's not easy to do on a 2wd A3 though...

Last edited:
More clearance over the driveshafts than over the rear beam im sure and going under the beam would massively reduce ground clearance and it`d get dented and scuffed to fu...

You know reesey, I think marcus has a point on this one.....

FWD A3 would be almost impossible to do a centre exit exhaust without cutting out the spare wheel well, the wheel well on the FWD car drops down even lower than the bottom of the bumper, so a centre exit exhaust would be on the ground in the middle.

On an S3 you've got a big bumper cut out you'd need to fill, which would be tricky and expensive, so I think marcus is right in this instance, the TQS is the easiest car to fit a centre exit exhaust to.

You know reesey, I think marcus has a point on this one.....

FWD A3 would be almost impossible to do a centre exit exhaust without cutting out the spare wheel well, the wheel well on the FWD car drops down even lower than the bottom of the bumper, so a centre exit exhaust would be on the ground in the middle.

On an S3 you've got a big bumper cut out you'd need to fill, which would be tricky and expensive, so I think marcus is right in this instance, the TQS is the easiest car to fit a centre exit exhaust to.

Going on previous posts I thought Marcus chose a TQS over an S3, meaning that the first part of my statement was correct, but it was let down by the 2nd part. :crying: I plead ignorance to the 2wd A3 and as for a spare wheel well, what is one of them?! We get what looks like a dent in the boot that is just happens to fit a stoopid spacesaver in.

IMG-20111008-00118.jpg

It was an extremely tight fit, less than 2mm clearence from the prop. However, with the additional strength of the powerflex dogbone mount restricting movement in the engine, and upgraded engine mounts, no more knocking on shift...thank god.

NewForest-20111008-00119.jpg

How come it wasn't re-fabricated! there is plenty of room to get a 3" DP past there without having to resort to flattening the pipe to half its effective diameter...

I would not be happy with that tbh...

<tuffty/>

The rear set up on the TQS is the same as the S3 as far as I am aware, and so the centre piece would have been as easy to do.

It's not easy to do on a 2wd A3 though...

The only difference is that the TQS tail pipes point down, and the lower bumper is flush and does not have the hole on the left. Hence why I "dremeled" my own

How come it wasn't re-fabricated! there is plenty of room to get a 3" DP past there without having to resort to flattening the pipe to half its effective diameter...

I would not be happy with that tbh...

<tuffty/>

Can you explain the "re-fabricating" process.

There really wasn't a lot of room for movement either side Tuffty? Though I respect that you would'nt be happy with it, these de-cats are not available that easily. Bill even um'd and argh'd about it, so yeah, it's lost 1/4 inch on the edge to allow for the prop not to catch - but im not that OTT to lose sleep over it.

I didnt know of the off the shelf part from USA, but if it was an Evo, or Skyline then i would be a little more "unforgiving" with mods...but lets be real, the dogbone, and powerflex bushed stop the movement, it flows, sounds lovely, spits fire now n then, and it's what I wanted. We cant all afford £700 Milteks :)

Last edited:
Can you explain the "re-fabricating" process.

There really wasn't a lot of room for movement either side Tuffty?

Well... you fabricate a downpipe that actually fits or cut and shut the one you have to bend correctly... granted there isn't a lot of room but I have made two DP's for my own car and been involved in the fabrication and fitting of plenty of others and have never had an issue or had to flatten a 3" tube to get it to fit...

My original DP...
20090927_CRW_3781.jpg

20091115_IMG_3892.jpg

...and the one I made recently...
CRW_4360.jpg

...both cleared the prop with no dents :)

<tuffty/>

...should also mention that the gasket you use from the turbo to the DP isn't the best... the full metal OEM ones are much better and will last... those ones have a tendancy of blowing :(

<tuffty/>

Got-ya,

Fabricating is basically Blue Peter time, and make it....

If i may be so forward sir, what would the cost be in a fabricated de-cat through the hands of Tuffty :anbet:

On the point on the gasket, i remember this one actually has a crack in it, and was replaced with a new one from TPS, along with some exhaust connectors. Apparently the "biscuit effect" is a good sign for the engine though. The pipe was cut a few times, and welded accordingly, but it was a pig to fit.

Last edited:
...If i may be so forward sir, what would the cost be in a fabricated de-cat through the hands of Tuffty...

Thats something you would need to email Bill at Badger5 about... I don't have anything to do with the money side of stuff...

<tuffty/>

Thats something you would need to email Bill at Badger5 about... I don't have anything to do with the money side of stuff...

<tuffty/>

It was purely speculative, as i paid £150 for the exhaust system with fitting. Thanks for the heads up on the gasket though, i will check the new one is still solid for "Stage 2" in the summer.

The wonders of Demon Shine....look at the detail in the clouds on the bonnet, very nice shot at dusk

Winchester-20120215-00312.jpg

nice work i wouldnt be to happy either with the decat set up.

i aint gonna say anything about the demon shine its like swearing to me got bit of ocd when it comes to car cleaning lol.

how is the exhaust noise on the motorway as ive got middle silencer on mine and its very quiet just to see how much louder it would be without.

keep up the good work

It's a lovely octave.....

3000rpm and above in 5th sounds fantastic on part throttle.

Straight through or nothing, you'll not regret it.

Whats wrong with demon shine anyway....

Thats it,

I've (realistically) lost about 1 inch where it had hammer time.

It goes from 3" -> 2" -> 3".....compressing the exhaust gasses at 2", then amplifying them down the stainless, and out.

When it backfires...it genuinly sounds like popping a heavily inflated balloon.

Please stop typing in Itallics Marcus, I'm finding it quite upsetting :(

Lol at Prawn 'Grammar Police' Vaughan clamping down!!

You have some Italics in your sig by the way Prawn... :lmfao:

That's because, if you look above at your own post, Quotes are put into italics by the forum dear boy.

It's just strange to read in a normal post, it looks somehow very vague to me!

That's because, if you look above at your own post, Quotes are put into italics by the forum dear boy.

I am aware of this, but as it isn't a forum quote I thought I would point it out.. Also, isn't it about time you found something better then a 400bhp evo to update the sig?

I know what you mean, I just thought it was quite funny to be putting him in his place!

I concur....

IT'S ALMOST AS BAD AS PUTTING THREAD TITLES AND POSTS IN CAPS...

or using somewhat effeminate fonts :)

<tuffty/>

:rulez:

In all fairness, i write italic, stare at 3 operating systems in Itallic, so my apologies to those who are offended

Also, isn't it about time you found something better then a 400bhp evo to update the sig?

I need quotes from the owners though, and they no longer like talking to me ;)

At Rocky on Saturday we passed a nissan GTR driven by a numpty, many porsches / M3's/ caterfields, and both Andy and I caught up with and overtook a bad-*** Evo9 time attack car with a MASSIVE spoiller and crazy aero. Was a good feeling :)

Anyway, I digress, back to marcus and his noise monster

Each to their own bud... just makes it difficult to read tbh...

I stare at every thing I do at work in the 'Consolas' font which just makes the stuff I do clearer for my crappy old age eye sight :)

<tuffty/>

Please stop typing in Itallics Marcus, I'm finding it quite upsetting :(

I concur....

IT'S ALMOST AS BAD AS PUTTING THREAD TITLES AND POSTS IN CAPS...

or using somewhat effeminate fonts :)

<tuffty/>

Good man. the world is back to rights....

Each to their own bud... just makes it difficult to read tbh...

I stare at every thing I do at work in the 'Consolas' font which just makes the stuff I do clearer for my crappy old age eye sight :)

<tuffty/>

****** respected members and mods spamming other peoples threads. just can't get the forum users. :lmfao:

Well, someone has to maintain the 'pointless post' count now Jardo has jogged on over to ClioSport!

Well, someone has to maintain the 'pointless post' count now Jardo has jogged on over to ClioSport!

The clio should be renamed the Renaut Clit....

Cos every annoying cu*ts got one.

"Like" post just down the bottom gents....

I really hope this is true!

*** Reesy, will you stop spamming.

Poor Marcus must be very annoyed that we've messed up his build thread.

So, back on topic, I want to hear a video clip of this badboy exhaust. It actually looks far neater than I had expected it to from the description!

It is rather smart, though i will admit it's not to everyone's taste it is mine.