BMW 130i/135i...any good?

dickibo

Reaction score
Hi,

Having had an array of annoying issues with my S3 in the past 5 month, i couldn't help but have a sneaky peek at a few alternatives. It was a toss-up between the S3 and a 130i 10 months ago - although i never actually got round to test driving the beema, as i test drove the Audi and went with it, having been a target car of mine for a few years. Great car mechanically, electrics leave alot to be desired!

I've got a chance to take on a 335d in a couple of months, but the auto box is putting me off, and although very capable it seems to lack some of the fun of my S3.

Has anyone had any experience of 130i?...Cos i hear they are good fun with a great engine, despite the marmite looks. How's it compare to a Revo (st1) BAM S3?

The 135i is also interesting me cos of its power and remapablity, tho it's still a pretty penny?

Any ideas???

Hey buddy, sorry to hear about your S3 Probs :-(

130I.....Nooooo!! i have heard that they are crappy compared to a 330I, Personally I went against a 130I with the 330I and i R...ped it. The 130I also gives gearbox probs over time same as the TI models. I know a guy with a 130I and he had a new engine put in after a few thousand K's..... (this is cause he drove it hard on a regular basis) They also have bad handling as they are out of shape :)

135I - they are great cars and as you have mentioned minor mods = big power outputs here, but trust me its alot of money for the power + heavy.(Good at top speed but crapish at 1/4 mile runs)

Why dont you consider buying a Top condition S3 again,this time dont rush into the 1st one you see :) Thers no other thrill than taking on a newby on the market and beating it or even sticking with it in your 10 year old S3 :) (now thats a real wow for power)

Try go for a test drive in the Audi S3 8p - Great cars and are very quick, There is a S3 remapped + Decatted here in SA that manages to match times of an Audi RS3 on a 1/4 mile :jump:

Anyways hope your decisions go well and you make the right choice, cheers buddy :)

Having driven a fair few beemers including 130i M, as I work for BMW, I'd still pick the S3. Has more character.

Maybe I just see too many to appreciate them though.

135 engine is a beauty tho isn't it.
It's very very tempting, but they are very different cars to the old s3, new vs old, hard comparison.

The looks are hardly masculine, thats my only problem. You'd have to buy a 1m coupe to look as cool as an s3, which are mega bucks

Is there much between a mapped '03 S3 and a standard new S3 - obviously it maps up to over 300 ponies. What about reliability, handling, etc??

Would like to test drive a new 1. How come i've seen on here that peeps tend not to like them?...i've heard 'boring' being used, much like with the old shape!

E46 330ci and go on holiday with the other 3grand :)

I'd have a 135i all day long
twin turbo
there was one at inters last year
and omg it was awesome

The comparaison is not fair here...old vs new, 4 cyl VS 6 cyl, and the price! Now that being said...

I have driven a 135i (remapped) for a couple of weeks, and its an amazing car, it handles good and the performance is super good!
Its agile and go around the corners well (its not a quattro but its nicely balanced) If you want the best of it, go for a manual.
The only thing i didnt like about the 135i is the center console in the dashboard...looks and feel cheap! (note that the one i drove didnt have a navi)

My boss has a 135, the 7 speed manual and he loves it. I've yet to go in it though...

My mate went to test drive a 123d last friday and said the interior is shocking, really cheap and plasticy feeling so just walked away without even driving it.

Personally....i'd go for an M-sport 330 or 335 TD. The twin turbo 335 diesel, when mapped kicks out 511lb of torque and that performance is unbelievable behind the wheel.

I owned the coupe version prior to my S3 and I do miss it on occasions.

I agree that the BMW cabins are bland but you can't have everything.

Yeah i'm quite tempted by the 335d tbh - i'v no issues with a diesel as i owned a Furby vRS PD130 for 3 yr. i'v driven it before and my dad would hopefully cut me a fair deal on it. It's an '07 M-Sport, Estate with 100k. I'd be tempted to take it, and trade it for the coupe...and then have that mapped!

Still dying to test drive those 1 series tho as i find the 3's abit numb feeling (tho very capable!) - 130i and 135, just a shame no ****** appears to have 1 within 150 mile of Durham.

Jimgrim - i like what u've done with the beast, a respectable 310hp is always nice. If i keep mine, i'll probably consider following your example. What were your best mods...and can those Goodridge hoses help my squishy brakes???

Thanks, I appreciate it.

There are plenty of cars on this forum which are undoubtedly superior but i like to think i'm making up ground. It certainly would not have been achieved without the help of users on this forum at any rate!

In terms of the mods; all good mods really, they have all helped in very different ways and it's difficult to judge which were best as, on each occasion, they all feel like the best one. It's like choosing a favourite girfriend...they are all nice but in different ways.

Essentially with more speed, you require better handling as you will hit corners much quicker and you'll then need to stop quicker too, otherwise you're likely to end up in a ditch.

My aim was for fast road and i think i'm nearly there. I've continually custom remapped the car with each bolt on to take each into effect and have various dyno's for each to measure improvements. I must say that this is not a cheap process and one inevitably leads to another but, in terms of order, I went loosely as follows (I've coded my favourite performance mods with stars but most seem to be the most expensive):-

My order was:-

1) Custom Remap**/ Forge DV / Green Airfilter / Aero Wipers / LCR Splitter / LED Bulbs / TT Pedals / Armrest
2) H&R Anto Roll Bars*/ Forge Tie Bars / KW Suspension Kit** / Wheel Spacers / Bushes / Dog Bone Mount / Quickshift
3) Forge FMIC* / Full Red Silicone Hoses / Window Tints
4) 3" Downpipe** / 200 Cell Sport Cat / Custom Full Stainless
5) LCR Brembo's***/ Goodridge Hoses
6) Stage 3 Hybrid** / XS Power Mani** / Custom TIP**
7 Paddle Racing Clutch / Dual Mass Flywheel
8) Boost gauges / Xenon upgrade 6000 bulbs

If i was pushed on a personal favourite though?.....it has to be the brembo's...they are the best thing that I have done...awesome is an understatement. When really pushing it...you never loose confident or braking power.

In terms of your brake lines...Badger 5, with Tuffty's recommendation in a recent thread in particular, stock a superior alternative to the goodridge lines. Personally, i'm very happy with Goodridge but it's always good to know alternanatives. PM them or call them, Badger 5 is a sponsor of the site for a quote. In answer to your query, they should help as they are stainless steel and the rigidity will help the vacuum nature of the braking.

Hope that this helps.

I can't believe this is even question people need to ask! And come on guys, interior is bland??? An Audi is hardly exciting inside is it!?

135 all day long, it's a lovely car to drive and I really regret not paying the extra and buying one over my 8P S3 as it was a better car if you're into your driving!

Its not the fact its bland and boring. Its just nasty in build quality and feels cheap for the sort of car you`re buying. My mate walked away for this reason as he felt it was miles behind the interior of his Scirocco.

Its not the fact its bland and boring. Its just nasty in build quality and feels cheap for the sort of car you`re buying. My mate walked away for this reason as he felt it was miles behind the interior of his Scirocco.

I suppose if you're a VAG fan you would think that.

Thanks for the info Jimgrim you've definitely taken your 'moddin' seriously. Was considering going all out on a full brake kit, but was hoping braided hoses might just sort the job, at least until i get hybrid and FMIC etc.

Might just have to give Badger5 a bell, tho i did PM him a few months ago f a TIP and never got a reply. Ended up plumping for the Forge - made a difference tho!

I'd love a crack in the 135i Beanoir, it's that 6 pot twin turbo that's the deal maker for me - not so fussed if the interior's nowt spesh.
Problem is the cost, it's not worth getting a loan for. 335d's easier for me to acquire cos it's a case of repaying my dad over couple of years. Remapped they apparently more or less keep up with an M3 - and getting 35mpg, cos fuel prices are only going 1 way. They just lack that petrol soundtrack.

Did u manage to test a 135 before you plumped for the 8P??

Used to have a remapped 335I coupe, it was the best and fastest car i have owned, and it was better on fuel than my current 04 Cupra R
The interior was good, not at all cheap looking and had loads of toys, infact the only down side to the car was the horrible runflat tyres.

Yeah the one at Inters last year was a mates of mine.. Used to have an ed30 Golf which was also very quick (I mean 0-60 in fwd in 4.8, joys of dsg)

As for the 135i still a quick quick car, I know he took it to 30-130 day on sunday and did a very good time..