Chris NottBadger5
    Watch this space...

Status

Alternator noise from radio while driving...

hey guys, im the getting stupid alternator whining from my rear speakers when the radio is on and the car is on. before i would cure this by lightly pushing the face of the radio up. but now, its not helping at all, and its louder.

1 Video with the car off and 1 with the car on.

iv uploaded some videos of this in action and the question is can i get a guide or pointers for taking off the centre console and check the cables back there. because i know its a tight squeeze and dont want a radio thats half in/half out.

thanks
    My Build Thread... Nothing too special

Mods: ASN Sticker on Rear Driver Window, Forge 006, KO3s Turbo, Silicone TIP, 3inch Downpipe, Decat, FK Coilovers, Bosch Aero Retrofits, NGK 6458 Sparkplugs.

To do : Front and Rear 25mm ARB, Strut Brace, Adjustable Droplinks, Poly Red DogBone, Remap, FMIC... to be completed

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Best guy to ask is AndyMac

Watch this space...

Status
    thanks, will drop him a pm

Mods: ASN Sticker on Rear Driver Window, Forge 006, KO3s Turbo, Silicone TIP, 3inch Downpipe, Decat, FK Coilovers, Bosch Aero Retrofits, NGK 6458 Sparkplugs.

To do : Front and Rear 25mm ARB, Strut Brace, Adjustable Droplinks, Poly Red DogBone, Remap, FMIC... to be completed

Sharpest Tongue in the West

Status
    If pushing the head unit around was affecting the sound of the whine, then i'd guess it's a dodgy connection behind the headunit...?

Check your signal wires (RCA and speaker) and not missing shielding / damaged as this will pick up interference from the power wires and cause your noise.

I had similar after re-locating my front crossover and it started making alt whine noise, turned out that moving it slightly away from the main wiring loom cured the problem.
    Porsche Cayman S |Jeep Grand Cherokee|1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

www.essexdriversclub.com

Status
    Depends what adapter you've used to link into the rear/sub amp. Alternator whine is usually only an issue if you've used the crappy speaker input adapter, as it uses a cheap high-low converter on the rear speaker outputs to then provide a low level signal to feed the rear amp. If this is the case then you just need to swap this for an RCA input adapter which just takes the rear RCA's directly into the rear amp with no electronics in between.
    You can't remove the centre console without removing the HU, so you will need to pull the HU. Remove the glovebox first as this makes it a lot easier
    "How to tear apart the ties that bind, perhaps fcuk off might be too kind"
    Alex Turner

Watch this space...

Status
    Im not sure what adaptor was used fir the rear speakers as the Hu was installed at a car audio shop, but they used an audi a3 friendly adaptor thats all i know. Im running a sub in the boot via the rca's at the back of the hu and its working fine, im also running the stoock sub ghrough ghe rear speaker adaptor as stock. Where can i get that rca input adaptor?

Watch this space...

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by beanoir View Post
    If pushing the head unit around was affecting the sound of the whine, then i'd guess it's a dodgy connection behind the headunit...?

Check your signal wires (RCA and speaker) and not missing shielding / damaged as this will pick up

interference from the power wires and cause your noise.

I had similar after re-locating my front crossover and it started making alt whine noise, turned out that moving it slightly away from the main wiring loom cured the problem.
    Thanks, will start by checking for any damage to the wiring before i rip the Hu out

Watch this space...

Status
    By the way my hu is not stock.

Status
    If you're running a proper sub and an aftermarket HU then simply disconnect the feed to the rear amp, and rewire the speakers directly to the HU and bypass the Audi/Nokia shyte, you'll get improved quality and power and no interference. You can pick up the feeds to the rear speakers from the red connector plugged into the sub, so you don't need to pull any panels, just run speaker wire from the sub connector to the HU.
    "How to tear apart the ties that bind, perhaps fcuk off might be too kind"
    Alex Turner

Watch this space...

Status
    Olryt thanks a lot mate, will do this and update the thread.