when to do rods?

daz-20vt

Reaction score
Hi all, after doing plenty of reading on certain mods i want to do to my s3 im becoming more concerned about my standard rods. my first s3 was stage 2 but bk when i had it a good few years ago rods were only for big turbo applications so i have no idea when to look into this. so much has change in the last 5-6 years with these cars its unreal. i know im asking an un answerable question to a degree hut its kind of making me wonder if its worth maxing out the k04 turbo or just go for a b5 tip decat and stage one map. any info would be awesome thanks!! daz

If you think you will want more than a stage 1 then so the rods. That way your covered for future mods and you don't have the burden of them bending

first-spoon-feedMVT.jpg

Question answered. I see you said you searched, in which case i can't see how you didn't get your answer .

Lmao mark.

Depends how far you want to tune. But even when modding and tuning your care, you can have it mapped with stock rods in mind e.g progressive lower boost.
Its just no guarentee.
You just have to be conscious of them, instead of going to a tuner and them turning the boost to 9million.

I did search this and as i said im aware it seemed to be an un answerable question. by the way i mentioned my old car not having them but being stage two i thought was an obvipus indication that its around that mark? honestly tho you decided to go to all of that instead of answering the question. think it says more about you than me. dont understand why you did it as you wouldnt speak to someone like that to their face as its just not polite is it? i often wonder why people like you even join forums with such an attitude. oh well im sure you pleased yourself. im sure ill get another pointless reply. thanks for the helpful replies guys. think ill stick to a basic stage one and maybe a little bit to help the car stay cool and breath. daz

There are quite a few threads discussing this in length which should help you to make an informed decision...

If you think you need them and you are keeping the car then get them done... if you are planning on hybrid/BT then defiantly get them done...

Previous threads will have the same advice... I know as I generally post this very same info..

<tuffty/>

As above.

Its recommended but Much will depend on the tuning and how aggressive the mapping.

I was all set for buying everything to max the k04 on the car as its not a daily driver so wanted it a bit quick and to sound a bit better but having to do the rods is really putting me off. maybe im being stupid and its a small price to pay for the extra power.

Think your right bill. the problem is im very impatient and i want to do it all over night. but if i do them once i have the freedom to decide what and when to do them. like most people i guess its hard to swallow the cost when you see no gains afterwards .

Think your right bill. the problem is im very impatient and i want to do it all over night. but if i do them once i have the freedom to decide what and when to do them. like most people i guess its hard to swallow the cost when you see no gains afterwards .

Then dont do them.

The problem sounds to lie with this maxing out idea you have, as any part is more likely to fail when put under greater duress for longer periods.

simple choice..
do it and risk it or dont do it... and risk it more...

why the impatience?
do it right
do it once