notchy gearchange s3?

daz-20vt

Reaction score
Hi guys. since owning my s3 i hqve joticed that the gearchange isnt exactly smooth. from doing searches i see most people are saying that the s3 is a bit like that from factory but my first s3 that i had was spot on. in fact the first memory of the test drive was how smooth the gear selection was. so whats the right one on this? i also have a friend that says you can re set the alignment or something? anything on this would be great as always guys thanks. daz

Fresh oil in the box may help a bit, it did on mine anyway...

I thought the gearboxes were sealed? i read that an r32 shifter shortens the throw a tad and makes it a bit smoother. although only by one person. there 22 quid so might just try.

Mines abit notchy in 2nd! Spoke to jody at midland VW who said they typically like this, nothing really wrong, just how it is when cold. Whe it's warm it's lovely!

Mine is never lovely lol. ill get my mate to try this re adjustment anf ill fit an r32 shifter and report back. thanks guys!!

ive had 2 6spd now and both of them have been really poor and knotchy also specially 2nd gear oil didnt really make any difference at all tbh....

As said changing the gearbox oil helped mine. Saying that think I need to change again. Typically worse in the autumn and winter secondary to the cold weather.

When I say notchy in 2nd there is times it will refuse to go in... Better once warm then it's just notchy. 1st is notchy to not as bad. Rest of the gears are fine.

I run the diesel dogbone bush and the R32 shifter and the shift is still OE but miles smoother. I'm not saying it'll solve your problem but it certainly helped smooth my shift.

When I first got my s3 mine struggled To go in 1st and 2nd sometimes when cold. I've since then destroyed that one and had a recon box fitted.

Which I have absolutely no issues with. Smooth in and out of every gear. Every time.