A3 Tdi TURBO Question

Mackers

Reaction score
hi all, i have a mate who's turbo has just gone on her 90BHP A3 TDi, it's a "X"Reg any ideas where she can get a cheap replacement ideally a STD one, as she's just had a kid and wants to keep the car on the road.
Many thanks for your inputs in advance.

could i just ask how you know the turbo has gone, has it been confirmed by a garage to be the turbo?

james

aye..... garage confirmed it, what price could she be looking at

The problem you are going to have here is it is not a cheap fix, and not worth doing on the cheap.

These turbo's have a tendansey to seize/ get clogged. What you could try is breakeryard.com or carsparefinder.co.uk, you put in all your details of what you are looking for and breakers come back to you with parts & prices.

Just make sure you ask them if the wastegate arm moves freely (up & down about 20mm either way) as it easier to replace the whole wastgate & turbo in one go, as the wastegate maybe the reason the turbo has gone.

turbos only seize when starved of oil , this is why you should change oil reg and use good oil.
or the bearing breaks so turbo dont spin .
just find a good secound hand turbo , put your fingers on the blad and make sure it dont wobble just spins freely .
the worst car i changed turbo on was pug 405 bought another car just for turbo then scraped car , cheep