Transplant...

Alais DJA

Reaction score
I've had a few,

worked on a couple.....

But realistically, what engines could be dropped in a 8L chassis....

R32 arguably is the biggest 'drop in' and the newer 2.5 TFSI out of the TTRS and RS3 but an RS4 2.7 V6 has been done with all the work in teh world..

TFSI will go in too

Considering the power that can be got from a 20v its a lot of work although I have always liked the idea of an R32 engine just not the cost of making the engine suitable for turbo charging...

<tuffty/>

R32 arguably is the biggest 'drop in' and the newer 2.5 TFSI out of the TTRS and RS3 but an RS4 2.7 V6 has been done with all the work in teh world..

TFSI will go in too

Considering the power that can be got from a 20v its a lot of work although I have always liked the idea of an R32 engine just not the cost of making the engine suitable for turbo charging...

<tuffty/>

Yeah , i remember the forum posts about the Germans who dropped the RS4 lump in it.

Why is it difficult to T/C the R32, i was under the impression "any" car can be turbocharged...

Nobody's thought about an R8 lump in an A3?

Yeah , i remember the forum posts about the Germans who dropped the RS4 lump in it.

Why is it difficult to T/C the R32, i was under the impression "any" car can be turbocharged...

Nobody's thought about an R8 lump in an A3?

I didn't say it was difficult, just costly...

<tuffty/>

Not really relevant in the context of your first post...

Is there anything specific you are wanting to find out as this thread seems to serve no purpose currently...

<tuffty/>

Not really relevant in the context of your first post...

Is there anything specific you are wanting to find out as this thread seems to serve no purpose currently...

<tuffty/>

The idea is that im considering a complete new engine.

I LOVE the idea of putting something different in my A3, but if the only real options include other Audi engines.....it's a bit boring.

Appreciated the R32 lump is an option, but Audi make the 3.2 quattro, so there's no point.

With the Hybrid, FMIC, injectors, etc all booked in for 4 weeks time - the next issue is the engine - how long will it last?

I can imagine just loving it in the summer, then a bang, and it's gone....

Im greedy, i want it all, and now...had a crazy idea of putting the evo lump in it....

Reactions: DESTROY
Leepu from Chop Shop put a scooby engine and running gear into a Mk3 Golf...
media-7421-17853.jpg

:puke2:

<tuffty/>

unless your engines broke, just go big turbo or get a bigger engined car, so much more work to change the engine...
I.e. I understand why aaron would lol.

Last edited:
You could look into the Focus RS or ST lump. I heard they are beefy and reliable being a Volvo unit at the end of the day

Try a nissan micra engine, itl fit and definetly diffrent :bong

TBH theres no real point in putting in <some other 4 cylinder>. Be it an Evo/Cosworth/SR20DET they're all fairly similar to a 1.8T, they all have their own foibles, and certainly by the time you've put the effort of installing said engine, you wont really be in any better place than a 1.8T with rods.

Equipping your 1.8T with rods will be FAR cheaper than any conversion ever would be.

IMO the audi 5 cylinder tfsi engine is the ultimate conversion for the 8l.
Epic ppwer, modern refinery, old school quattro heritage, and sound.
My Mrs' 5 pot ST sounds ace, 5 cylinder tfsi in an 8l would be pure sex wee.

Reactions: deeman88
what about the old 3.2 out of the tt quattro i was considering doing that to my 8l, as it can't be too different as they had the bam engine fitted aswell didn't it so it either had mounts which would allow the big engine to fit in the 1.8 mounts

what about the old 3.2 out of the tt quattro i was considering doing that to my 8l, as it can't be too different as they had the bam engine fitted aswell didn't it so it either had mounts which would allow the big engine to fit in the 1.8 mounts

R32, 3.2 TT, 3.2 8P A3.. all the same engine...

<tuffty/>

Tufty: Leepus Lobsterdog Mong creation was a mk2 golf :p Look at the swage line on the doors for the giveaway!

Tufty: Leepus Lobsterdog Mong creation was a mk2 golf :p Look at the swage line on the doors for the giveaway!

You are right mate... I may have been secretly hoping it wasn't as I love my Mk2... what a ******* thing to do to a Mk2 Golf :(

<tuffty/>

no point replacing a turbo'd 4 pot with a turbo'd 4 pot. it makes no sense at all. For the money it'll cost, you'll end up with something no different to a 20vt with rods.

The ONLY reason for an engine swap as I see it is for something different all together, huge capacity perhaps with an R32, or 5/6 cylinder if you want more noise or character.

Ultimately, the power/sound/performance/delivery of a turbo'd 4 pot will be determined by what you bolt onto it, so slinging in an Evo engine is just an epic waste of time.

Having spent the weekend driving a fwd mk4 golf gti with an R32 in it I would say listen to some of the above advice and pop an R32 in it, the noise alone is worth the effort!