Changing instrument cluster (clocks)

f13ldy

Reaction score
I think I've got a dodgy solder joint on my current cluster.The cluster is completely dead when the car is cold, but once the cabin warms up it pops into life. Nobody seems to be interested in repairing it (I rang around). So I think the simplest thing to do is replace the cluster. I've found a scrappie who has one in stock.

Can someone tell me what the procedure is for changing over the clusters. Is it a simlpe case of unplugging the old and popping in the new one, or are their immobiliser issues to deal with?

Cheers
Carlos

Do a search on the threads on this forum, there was a guy putting the chrome rings around his clocks. Looked the dogs b*llocks, I think it described how to remove and replace the instrument cluster.

If you are putting in the replacement cluster I would definately have a go at the chrome rings, will be well worth the effort.

Do a search on the threads on this forum, there was a guy putting chrome rings around his clocks and it looked the dogs b*llocks. I'm sure he described how to remove and replace the instrument cluster.

If I was replacing the cluster I would do the rings.

How old is your car? I had mine changed out under warranty. My car was just under 2 years old when I had it done.

Can you try to solder the piece yourslef if you know where it is? I also saw some of these on ebay before.

Markb chromed the rings on his dials. Do a search for it, wasn't that long ago.

Unfortunately you cannot just swap the clusters over. The immobiliser is located within the cluster.

The process of physically swapping the unit is simple, but it is coded (matched) to the ECU and key fob.

You would need to swap out the unit and then get the car to an audi dealer to perform the adaption process.

Either that or, take the car with the new unit and ask them to perform the whole task.

The DIYer used to be able to perform the adaption process with VAG-COM. Audi used to let owners know the secret key code (SKC) for these units, but recently VAG seems to have tightened up its security and now no longer give them out.

Thanks for the advice guys, its actually a 2001 Tdi Sport PD130. Looking through the forum it looks like I'm not the only one who has had problems with the cluster..

I actually opened mine up to have a look and have found that the cluster is made in Italy by Magnetti Marelli.... so it all makes sense now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif

Carlos