JMB RetrofitsBadger5

Thread: S 3 Intercooler

1st Gear

Status

S 3 Intercooler

Just looking into intercoolers for my S3, I was looking at the Forge set up.
    Forge also list the intercooler for the Leon Cupra R, at a cheaper price than the one listed for the S3. Could I just buy a one for a LCR? Or are there subtle differences?

Also open to ideas for other set ups, Ive seen the thread with regards to the wellycooler etc

Cheers in advance
    REVO Stage 2, Eibach anti roll bar kit, forge 007p diverter valve (yellow spring), Badger5 turbo intake pipe with Jetex filter and Neuspeed heat shield, Forge upper bost hoses, N75, DV and Cam breather hoses, XS Power 3" downpipe 200cell cat and 3" cat back system, Apex 30mm springs, N249 bypass, Oil catch can and PVC delete, Front Mount Intercooler............

2. # ADS
    ADS

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    FMIC thread in the stickies...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

1st Gear

Status
    yeah Ive been reading that, but as for will the LCR one fit my s3 I cant find an answer

cheers tuffty
    REVO Stage 2, Eibach anti roll bar kit, forge 007p diverter valve (yellow spring), Badger5 turbo intake pipe with Jetex filter and Neuspeed heat shield, Forge upper bost hoses, N75, DV and Cam breather hoses, XS Power 3" downpipe 200cell cat and 3" cat back system, Apex 30mm springs, N249 bypass, Oil catch can and PVC delete, Front Mount Intercooler............

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty_24 View Post
    yeah Ive been reading that, but as for will the LCR one fit my s3 I cant find an answer

cheers tuffty
    Having seen the LCR ones up close and developing 2 intercoolers specifically for the S3 I would suggest going for either a 'wellycooler' or the AH Fabs V2 if you need a larger cooler... the AH V1 and Forge are ok but compromised with the 51mm inlets...

AH V2 coolers are costing around the £350/£400 plus pipes IIRC but are BT and Hybrid K04 capable...

The design of the Forge LCR cooler suggests that it won't 'fit' like the Forge S3 one... so begs the question... why spend all that money on something that is a compromise fitment wise when there are products that do fit out there for a similar price... if budget is an issue then the wellycooler is a viable choice as the fitment issues will be present on this as they would the Forge LCR one...

The Forge S3 FMIC kit is designed to 'fit' its how they have designed it and works well... the AH V1 and V2 are also designed to fit with minimal modification and not have pipes/hoses poking out all over the place... if you are less fussed about the look then tbh get a welly cooler and roll about in the cash you will save as using the std LCR Forge kit will cost more and still have pipes poking out and the race one will be even worse as the LCR has loads more space behind the bumper than the S3...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

DTM

Status
    Take a look at the Wagner Tuning intercooler set up Audi S3 FMIC
    2005 DTM|Quattro|Phantom black|HTA3076 turbo|Pag Parts turbo manifold|INA Engineering custom 8 injector manifold|Custom Garrett 900hp intercooler|Mahle Motorsport 83mm forged pistons|IE Tuscan forged rods|Autotech HPFP|Tial wastegate|S3 Injectors|3" Downpipe and full stainless exhaust|Stage 3 Southbend clutch|AP Coilovers|Ultra Race strut brace|H & R ARBs|Forge 6 pot calipers|Bi Xenons|Multifunction steering wheel|Memory seat|Cruise control|Power fold mirrors|Black 19" Cades Berns|235/35 Toyos

5th Gear

Status
    The forge kit not cheap but it is a great piece of kit and easy fit.

Only 2 hour install I reckon.

Makes a hell of a difference too.

Ming Blue S3, Stage 3 Hybrid Turbo, Custom Map, Bosch 480 injectors, Custom TIP, Forge FMIC, 3" Downpipe, 200 Cell Sport CAT, Full Stainless, XS Power Mani, 6 Paddle Clutch, Red silicone hoses, LCR Brembo's, Forge 007p, KW Suspension Kit, Green filter, THS Mounts, 11mm & 16mm spacers, H&R Anti-roll bars, RS6 18" alloys, Michelin PS3's, Red Dog Bone Mount, Neuspeed quickshift, Boost Gauge, Aero wipers, LCR splitter, Forge Tie-bars, LED bulbs, Armrest, Custom TT pedals.

Down under

Status
    I'm still tossing up between the Wagner and AH Fabs. The Wagner I can get to me for $950 delivered and the AH is $600 before even shipping. Bonus with the Wagner is no cutting (I think) and it's a kit so no faffing around sourcing hoses etc and it's already painted black. That's worth $350 extra to me?
    Handling mods++. GTX30 soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

Chugger

Status
    There's quite an epic sticky on the subject...

For me, I found the toyo cooler (aka wellycooler or kevcooler, no affiliation to the 'tufftycooler') was the best value, everything worked out under £200, just have to cut the crash bar yourself and make the brackets then everything else is plain sailing!
    57 A3 2.0 TDI Sportback (140)