a3 rear handbrake

A3 MATTY

Reaction score
hi all just replaced my n/s handbrake cable last week for its mot and was planning on doing o/s aswell,but driving around last night and a really strong burning smell inside the car,so go out and found my o/s rear wheel poring smoke off it.so 10:30 last night had to remove handbrake cable in order to actuall move the car :0. i saw a thread on here ages ago about handbrake helper springs that go on the handbrake leaver back to the caliper that you can use off other vag cars but cant find it anymore. i,m going to replace rear disks pads and refurbish the calipers next week.to be safe and because i,m anal about this lol any iinfo on these springs i would be very greatfull. thanks people...

I kept having problems with my handbrake also, either it'd stick and never come off, or it'd be fully on but the car would roll away from me. In the end i just bought new calipers and had no problems since, to my understanding the helper spring is a temp fix and often breaks also.

thanks for the reply kevxx i now have replaced disks and pads with new calipers and handbrake cables .. 1000% better now thanks anyway bud..