Back to standard air box?

Pops848

Reaction score
Just wondering, I'm currently running a REVO stage 1 remap with forge 007p and cone filters, but I'm going stage two and getting a TIP after I got my insurance renewal down by £700 :hubbahubba:

So... the question is, has anyone had problems with stage 2 and cone filters, or is it better to stick with standard air box smoothed out with panel filter? I was advised this by the garage who do the remaps but I'm just not sure? I prefer standard filters in a way as they filter more muck from the air,but the car came with the cone filters so was just going to keep them? If not, is it time to go back to standard air box ready for a stage 2?

I think its all down to preference. I have a cold air pipe 3 inch with a cone filter on the end because I like the sound. Doubt it will be any better than the standard airbox though

I was advised there is a chance it will be getting too much air for the stage 2. How true this is I don't know but if anyone has had these issues it would be good to know what works best

surely it will only take as much as it needs...... i dunno. with cones ur just subject to higher temps under the hood, mainly apparent when stood in traffic..

The s3 I have bought has got a ram air induction kit on , sounds pretty good but not sure it's my thing and I'd say makes absolutely no difference to performance as I've driven ones with standard air box and they feel exactly same...... The cold air feed on mine is in wheel arch where original feed was I assume? However if I was in stage tuning I would Have one because just about every tuner of every car I see that offers "package tuning deals" has an induction kit in their package.........

It's should be fine mate my car is a stage 2 and was running standard airbox which was drilled and smoothed with a pipercross filter, then due to the k04 conversion I have just fitted my jetex cone filter see my vid on this forum and had no issues what so ever sounds great but I haven't lost any power or had any issues

I was advised there is a chance it will be getting too much air for the stage 2.

:lmfao: Who the hell told you that?!

This isn't the case at all, I personally would prefer a good sized cone filter over the standard box, especially on a stage 2, as the standard air box is only designed to flow 210-225 bhp, same with the standard TIP. Avoid foam cone filters, you know the ones that look as though they're made of sponge, as they just let too much sh*te through. They're just pants. The Jetex that comes with the Badger 5 kit is the best all rounder IMO. It flows enough air for up to 450 bhp so it's more than enough for a stage 2, but remember, the engine only takes as much air as it needs, and with modern fuel injection, air flow meters and all the rest of the balls that goes with it, that magical air to fuel ratio of 14.7 parts air to 1 part fuel is maintained even accurately.

Hope this clears up any confusion :)

PS If the person who told you there is a chance the engine will be getting too much air is a tuner you're planning on using... Run away, very very fast. They clearly know nothing.

Ben