Ride hight - cars sitting wonky

Metro

Error
Reaction score
Hi all, yet another issue I need to address. After letting my eibach springs settle for over 1k miles ive just noticed that the car is sitting about 5mm lower on the drivers side rear than than the passenger side rear. Both springs were seated properly and identical to each other when i installed them. The reason for getting new springs is that the drivers side rear was lower than the passengers and it turned out the spring had snapped at the base, now it seems like it might not just be the spring that was causing this?

What could be the possible cause? Both tyres are the same size but different brands, they both have 4mm tread left so im inclined to rule that out. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Cheers

Did you replace your strut tops at the same time whilst they was off? Pop you bonnet to see if both the strut top covers are level.

its the rear not the fronts, I replaced the Top mount rubber and bearings on the fronts and they are sitting beautifully! I did not replace the bump stops on the rears though, although I did have them both side by side and they "looked" to be fine, both identical. Thanks for your reply jojo

I've just taken a closer look and cant see anything in particular? Only other thing I noticed is that the higher side seems like the wheel is spaced out further than the lower side, but I'm not sure if that's just because it's a bit higher

Any pics mate might help? Maybe get a wheel alignment check to see if everything is set ok ? Did u buy the springs new or used are they in good condition are ur rear shocks ok and not leaking?

Springs were brand new out of the box, all shiney :) I had my friend who works at ohlins at Silverstone help and he checked the dampers and said they are fine... He even went through the effort to torque everything up to the exact amount, something I do "roughly" lol so he's done a proper job. We didn't notice hight difference after though xD

Just to add, he's away at the moment plus I don't want to trouble him for free work again so im just looking for some advice! Thanks!

A Bit of an update. Things have gotten worse, it's now sitting 11mm higher than the other side. Anyone reckon my damper has seized or could it be anything else? I don't have the money to get a garage to look at it at the moment which is annoying me slightly. Thanks in advance for any input!

Hi

Does it look like a bit like the tops of my struts?

That's before I had my top mounts and and top mount bearings replaced.

There's an option to change to the LCR top mounts.

Liam

My top mounts on the fronts were like yours yeah, I changed my old top mounts on the fronts for oe audi a3 ones and they are sitting perfectly now. It's just the rears that are sitting wonky now.

may sound daft but have your tyres got correct pressure in? i had a slow puncture and mine kept doing the same thing

Yeah, all tyres have 32psi in them, im still totally stumped as to how its 11mm difference to be honest. The mot is due next month and im gonna get the cam belt done too, so ill ask the garage to take a look then! I've even dug out the old springs to make sure I didn't accidently fit the stock spring back on lol! That's how desperate I am xD