Chris NottSky Insurance

Thread: My poor S3 ...

4th Gear

Status

My poor S3 ...

Hi,

I did the rocker cover and tensioner gasket this weekend. I took my time and did it in just over 3 hours. Job done!

There's a heat shield that the intercooler bracket bolts to at the back of the engine, this hindered me as it stopped me lifting the rocker cover off. Some loosening of bolts and persuasion helped.

I did the thermostat too. Took bl**dy ages to get a decent grip on the bottom bolt on the thermostat housing. Wow what a difference that makes to fuel economy. A real big difference!

Here's some not so good things I found ...

I don't think my upper cam cover is meant to look like this you can see where the cam belt has melted the plastic :/ Half of the cover is broken away too.

Coil plug - the previous owner got a garage to do some work on the car, replacing this coil was one of the things. I don't think they knew how to remove the plug properly. WTF?!

Several of my coil pack plugs have got dodgy insulation on the wires - can this be fixed?

The O/S (left in the photo) strut top sticks up about 15 mm more that the strut top on the passenger side. Does this mean I should fit new top mounts and bearings? I don't think it shows too well in this picture - but there's a distinct difference between the two sides.

Thanks, Liam

S3 AMK 2002. Only 203 BHP left in my poor little engine, currently searching for the 7 missing horses.
    Mods: Powerflex bushes at the front and rear, 710P DV, ambient light module, Badger5 V3 TIP, S2000 Filter.

2. # ADS
    ADS

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    hi liam,
    i cant make out what you mean about the cambelt cover tbh. id have thought there should be no contact though.

the coilpack plugs, well sometimes they can be a pain those clips, i think 2 of mine have broken, but they still fit on and stay on just fine.

the wiring can be redone if you now how, its common for the coating on the wires to crack etc, plenty of people either rewire the loom, or buy a new one.

as for the strut tops, do you have a knocking noise at all over bumpy/****e roads? id suggest changing the topmounts and bearings for one off a leon cupra R (slightly harder)

welldone on all the work btw. i love the organisation in the last pic lol OCD?

SEAT owner

Status
    I think you can buy a partial replacement loom for the coil packs as these are well known for the wiring insulation breaking down, probably due to the heat
    Also Leon cupra R top mounts have a reinforced webbing whereas the others have a hollow void in them and yes they noramlly sit above the strut towers (well do on my leon and my S3)

4th Gear

Status
    Hi superkarl,

I see what you mean, hard to make out what the problem is without seeing it up close and knowing what a good one should look like. I'll take better pics next time.

The guys that did that to the plug also snapped a bolt head off the dogbone engine mount and broke some other stuff ... plus a whole list of other issues I'm finding.I'm not sure I can be arsed to repair them, for the moment i've put some ACF50 on the affected wires to stop corrosion and water ingress.

I've seen a few looms on ebay. Is it a pretty simple swap to route all the cabling?

Top Mounts: I haven't noticed any knocking. But I have some new mounts from my A3 which I never got around to fitting, I think they're the same? I'd rather go with standard that compromise ride quality any more than I have done with the powerflex bushes.

Can I replace the top mounts without removing the whole strut? i.e. jack the car up and compress the springs?

I wouldn't go so far as to say OCD - closest thing to open heart surgery I've done on a car, just being careful - and I wanted to make sure I didn't leave my hammer or another important tool on the inside of the engine. plus I might have arranged the tools for the photo

Cheers, Liam

S3 AMK 2002. Only 203 BHP left in my poor little engine, currently searching for the 7 missing horses.
    Mods: Powerflex bushes at the front and rear, 710P DV, ambient light module, Badger5 V3 TIP, S2000 Filter.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin225 View Post
    I think you can buy a partial replacement loom for the coil packs as these are well known for the wiring insulation breaking down, probably due to the heat
    Also Leon cupra R top mounts have a reinforced webbing whereas the others have a hollow void in them and yes they noramlly sit above the strut towers (well do on my leon and my S3)
    Really? is it a plug and play replacement or does it require splicing?

I'm getting tempted more by the LCR mounts.

I'm having power flex bushes done on the rear of the S3 on Tuesday with a 4 wheel alignment, if I do the top mounts will that affect the 4 wheel alignment?

I'll defer the 4WA if it will.

Thanks very much. Liam

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vfr800 View Post
    Really? if I do the top mounts will that affect the 4 wheel alignment?

I'll defer the 4WA if it will.
    im not entirily sure on this one, it shouldnt do, but that that depends how worn the current ones are, if really worn, the caster and camber may change once you've put new ones in. although thinking about it i cant imagine it would alter alignment THAT much

i dont think you'l be able to change them with the strut on, its a tight job, best to take them off i think. i recently changed my suspension, and theres not alot of room to actually lift the struts out the hubs.

have a look though, and give it a go.

4th Gear

Status
    Hi

I checked with TPS today, the LCR mounts, 1ML 412 331 are £25.24 + VAT (no bearings).

These are the tops of my struts ... wadd'ya fink?

( I know they're dirty )

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Get all suspension done before a 4WA or you will be paying twice..

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    Get all suspension done before a 4WA or you will be paying twice..
    All the oil fell out of my jack and my spring compressors are cr*p. Giving up on mechanics for this evening.

Looks like I will have to put the 4WA off till another day.

Liam

4th Gear

Status
    Oh and here's a photo off my phone of the cam belt cover.

Liam

SEAT owner

Status
    Part numbers here lifted from a wishbone rebushing guide i did on SCN
    LCR top mount 1ML412331 £22.55
    LCR top bearing 1J0412249 £5.40
    LCR top
    threaded bush 1H0412365A £1.75
    LCR top nut N90353604 65p
    These are from the forum sponsor sere motors from SCN based in NI
    Maybe an idea to poly some of the front like the wishbones too

4th Gear

Status
    @Ronin225 - Thanks for that, I only thought it was the mount and bearing that needed replacing?!

I have got all poly at the front and I'm having the rear bushes upgraded to poly tomorrow - hence the 4WA.

Liam

SEAT owner

Status
    Mount and bearing are the only bits that really need replacing but some replace everything.
    Just thought i'd post the lot incase you wanted it all

4th Gear

Status
    Thanks. Appreciated.