Discovered a scary thing about my S3.........

i think the car is 100% a ringer v5 from a cat d car stolen s3 with cat d cars plates id try and get your money back or break it for spares mate your never be able to sell it like that

sounds odd, but as long as the reg comes up clean to anpr etc, insured, taxed etc youll never get pulled.
even for a "youve got a brake light out" stop check, theyll never start checking vin and engine numbers.

sounds like your the victim here, not the criminal............
just drive the car and stop worrying!

You guys amaze me, DCI Expert At Everything on the job and all that. All of this "it was stolen to order" and smokes and mirrors rubbish, get a grip guys.

So what if the windscreen had been replaced and had come from a written off car? We all know how expensive they can be to buy if they aren't insured.

Do you get your car MOT'd legit? If the chassis number was wrong they would have picked up on it.

When you say the chassis number is defaced, how do you mean? Is the plastic window which offers a viewpoint through the scuttle panel obroken and all yellowy/scratched so you can't see through? (they all are)

Take a step back guys, you are all outright accusing his mate of breaking the law with nothing to go by but a very patchy and unconvincing story.

I work at a motor dealers, and if you would like me to do a full HPI and send you the details then I will. Pop me a PM with the reg plate and I will sort it out.

If someone was to ring it, why would they do it as a cat d lol...

I'd definitely investigate further, if you find it is, just be prepared to break it up as it will be worth nothing if it is dodgy

if it was my car i wouldnt be too worried. as above windscreen could have been replaced. cant see any legit reason to grind off the vin though. i wouldnt dig too deep unless you can get your money back from ur mate. if u look into it too much and it does turn out to be dodgy, u could lose the car and all your money. just keep driving it

the number aint on the screen its on the dash so even changeing the screen wont alter the number you can see through it
or cant see it anymore as it was once there and not now

You guys amaze me, DCI Expert At Everything on the job and all that. All of this "it was stolen to order" and smokes and mirrors rubbish, get a grip guys.

So what if the windscreen had been replaced and had come from a written off car? We all know how expensive they can be to buy if they aren't insured.

Do you get your car MOT'd legit? If the chassis number was wrong they would have picked up on it.

When you say the chassis number is defaced, how do you mean? Is the plastic window which offers a viewpoint through the scuttle panel obroken and all yellowy/scratched so you can't see through? (they all are)

Take a step back guys, you are all outright accusing his mate of breaking the law with nothing to go by but a very patchy and unconvincing story.

I work at a motor dealers, and if you would like me to do a full HPI and send you the details then I will. Pop me a PM with the reg plate and I will sort it out.

Would you scratch the vin of a car you had sold to a mate?

vin stays put
takes some ****ing about to scratch it off unless you really need to

c4e83a6d.jpg

Yeah the relationship with my friend has pretty much gone as i found out he screwed me over with a couple of cars i had off him. Although i keep in contact with him as he owns a body shop and i get very cheap re-spray/repair jobs which is a plus i guess.[/QUOTE]

Doh why did you go back to him if he has screwed you over before
sounds very doggy and I would doubt the mileage to
hope you get it sorted

Would the HPI results not come back to the legit car that had its plates stolen?? He wouldnt be able to compare the VIN because he doesn't have one!

Cant see me ever buying a car from you.....

I can't believe this thread is 2 weeks old and the OP hasn't even posted on here about being in contact with his friend.

His friend scratched all the numbers off his mobile phone..... hasnt been able to contact him

The plate isnt even attached to the dash. Its rivited to the shell itself. So changing the screen or dash wouldnt affect it at all.

The number should also be stamped into the car itself. On the A4 this stamping is right in the centre of the bulkhead. Not sure where it is on an A3.

Theres also an adhesive sticker under the bonnet with the VIN and maximum axle weights on it.

Would the HPI results not come back to the legit car that had its plates stolen?? He wouldnt be able to compare the VIN because he doesn't have one!

Cant see me ever buying a car from you.....

It would yes, but it would also give the VIN number and engine number that the number plate is registered too. Giving him the two key bits of information that he would need to work out if it is a ringer or not. He WILL have a VIN number on either the car, the log book, previous MOT's or original bill of sale from original dealer.

What's all this "can't see me buying a car from you" lark about? Do you think I work for some grubby used forecourt selling 1500 quid specials?

check will give him the vin and reg etc yes
but as he says when he did have the vin it didnt match
but now he aint got a vin to match it to

check will give him the vin and reg etc yes
but as he says when he did have the vin it didnt match
but now he aint got a vin to match it to

You guys are amazing, I'm not a ******. If he gives me the VIN number he has on his MOT/log book/if there is anything on the cars I can check it to see what number plate it matches to, if he gives me the engine code and the reg number I can also find out which reg' that was originally allocated too as well...

Don't know why I bothered, the Spanish Inquisition on here were hot on my heels.

You guys are amazing, I'm not a ******. If he gives me the VIN number he has on his MOT/log book/if there is anything on the cars I can check it to see what number plate it matches to, if he gives me the engine code and the reg number I can also find out which reg' that was originally allocated too as well...

Don't know why I bothered, the Spanish Inquisition on here were hot on my heels.
but the vin on the log book and V5 will match the legit car
and he aint got A VIN number as he states he did have 1 but not now so you will only get the legit info to the legit reg

Dont think the OP has bothered with this thread any more Jardo, it may just be a simple misunderstanding or maybe its opening a can of worms dude.

Chris.

I remember that one Jase just proves its worth the few pounds to get a Vehicle check done, I did one that was 5 checks for £30 2 of them came up with issues.
It certainly does Chris,to see his pride and joy stripped to the bone was to nice.

I've only read the first dozen posts. Chances are its stolen recovered and now fine. However when someone stole it they must have messed with the chassis numbers. When it was recovered the chassis numbers should have been replaced but this doesn't always get done

Finally got some answers!!!!

Looked in the engine bay today and noticed there were 2 stickers. They all had the same number on it. Then i noticed a telephone number at the bottom. Typed it into google and it came up as the ISR (International Security Register) I phoned them and they confirmed that it had been stolen and recovered and written off but was then put back on the road and it was all legal. I asked about the VIN plate in the window, they said they were not sure about this but if i look at the bulk head i would find the real chassis number.

I then looked at the bulk head where there broken plastic was and i noticed some numbers (i didn't even see them before hand because it was quite rusty and i was expecting a metal plate like the one in the windscreen)
*picture below*

IMG_0947.jpg

And there was the chassis number i was looking for!! It matched up with my V5 document. I pretty much jumped for joy haha

I then phoned my friend who sold it to me..........asked him if he knew what the stickers were about (not telling him that i had found it all out) he said exactly what it was and i should give them a call if i was worried.

So thank christ all that is over!!]
I can finally get the one in the windscreen replaced and not drive around panicking that i might loose my car!

Thanks to everyone who helped out! Panic over! haha

Good news mate! Alot of weight off your shoulders I expect. Can finally enjoy worry free driving again :)

if it had gone the other way, you could have just taken the reg plates off and ram raided his garage - no plates no VIN, no way of tracing you :icon_thumright: