Chris NottVolks Autos
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Customboy

Thread: After replacing the breather hose.. car wont start

Watch this space...

Status

After replacing the breather hose.. car wont start

as the title says, after replacing the breather hose under the intake manifold and putting everything back together, the car wont start, dash wont illuminate and the interior lights wont even turn on, but the batterys connected correctly.&nbsp;<br><br>help
    My Build Thread... Nothing too special

Mods: ASN Sticker on Rear Driver Window, Forge 006, KO3s Turbo, Silicone TIP, 3inch Downpipe, Decat, FK Coilovers, Bosch Aero Retrofits, NGK 6458 Sparkplugs.

To do : Front and Rear 25mm ARB, Strut Brace, Adjustable Droplinks, Poly Red DogBone, Remap, FMIC... to be completed

2. # ADS
    ADS

R-Tech Terrorist

Status
    Hi, have you tried jump starting?

1.8 litre porsche eater!

R-Tech Terrorist Squad - 265bhp & 275lbft

Error

Status
    I don't understand how xD did you unplug the battery? I didn't bother when i did mine. You unplug anything else?

Audi A3 1.8t AUM
    Forge 007p, Pipercross Panel Filter, Eibach Prokit 35mm drop, EBC Green Stuff Pads
    Groved Disks, HEL Braided Brake Lines with Dot 5.1 fluid.
    Creation Motorsport Silicone TIP,
    N75 hoses, DV Hose & 10mm Rear Wheel Spacers
    Powerflex Rear Beam Bushes & Diesel Dog Bone Bush
    8k HID Kit, 8k LED Side Lights, 8k Number Plate LED

Watch this space...

Status
    i jjust tried jumpstarting and nothing. i disconnecyed the battery, the two sets of wiring that connects to the throttle body and the 1 by the cambelt uptop. those where the only electrical wires i disconnected

Mods: ASN Sticker on Rear Driver Window, Forge 006, KO3s Turbo, Silicone TIP, 3inch Downpipe, Decat, FK Coilovers, Bosch Aero Retrofits, NGK 6458 Sparkplugs.

To do : Front and Rear 25mm ARB, Strut Brace, Adjustable Droplinks, Poly Red DogBone, Remap, FMIC... to be completed

Whats going on???

Status

My Social Networking

Visit s3 Hoggy's Instagram Channel
    Have you checked fuse's?
    2002 S3 REVO
    Milltek, Sachs Organic clutch, 007p, Genuine RSTT's, BBS RS2's
    Koni FSD & H&R springs, Neuspeed 22mm rear ARB, KW tie arms
    LCR Brembo's with DS2500's & Paul's 300mm Rear disc kit,
    Michelin Pilot Sport 3's,Badger5 V2.2 Jetex filter & heatshield

6th Gear

Status
    hmmm, did you move anything round the top of the battery under that flap/in that box where the fuse "strips" are? have a check on those.
    sometimes they look ok on first glance, but get hairline cracks in them. poke them to see if one side is attached to the other.

Whats going on???

Status

My Social Networking

Visit s3 Hoggy's Instagram Channel
    Does your central locking still work? Strange for battery to just die?
    2002 S3 REVO
    Milltek, Sachs Organic clutch, 007p, Genuine RSTT's, BBS RS2's
    Koni FSD & H&R springs, Neuspeed 22mm rear ARB, KW tie arms
    LCR Brembo's with DS2500's & Paul's 300mm Rear disc kit,
    Michelin Pilot Sport 3's,Badger5 V2.2 Jetex filter & heatshield

Watch this space...

Status
    yes i checked the fuses inside the car by the driver's side. and i also checked the ones by the battery- but i can go and check again to make sure that there aint no hairline cracks as yu suggested murran.

R-Tech Terrorist

Status
    I've done mine too, which makes me wonder how this has happened... I was just thinking the battery has just chosen a strange time to die, and they can die THAT quickly, my mates Astra for example... He pulled up at my house, came inside while I was grabbing a few things, went back outside around 30 seconds later, and it was totally dead. No dash lights, no click, no nothing. That's why I recommend jump starting first, start simple and all that. I more or less guarantee this is what's happened.

Cheers
    Ben

1.8 litre porsche eater!

6th Gear

Status
    seen it more than a few times had a polo not two weeks ago with the electronic power steering not working. was a one of these fuses! but on first glance they looked fine but on prodding it it was obviously not attached. when in use i think they get ever so slightly warm and over time they fail.

being that these 3/4 40odd amp fuses fuse whole systems to a high level that are then fused again via the 5/10/15 amp ones in the other fuse boxes, its feasable the whole interior system/dash/interior light could not have power......

Watch this space...

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjiman46 View Post
    I've done mine too, which makes me wonder how this has happened... I was just thinking the battery has just chosen a strange time to die, and they can die THAT quickly, my mates Astra for example... He pulled up at my house, came inside while I was grabbing a few things, went back outside around 30 seconds later, and it was totally dead. No dash lights, no click, no nothing. That's why I recommend jump starting first, start simple and all that. I more or less guarantee this is what's happened.

Cheers
    Ben
    Funny things is i had a similar incident on my megane coupe last year, pulled into the services to get something to eat, came back and it was dead.

But i'll try that again as soon the missus is back with my cables in 20mins as i had left the battery disconnected all this tym incase there was a short somewhere and don't want to find the car up in a purple blaze.

Watch this space...

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by murran View Post
    seen it more than a few times had a polo not two weeks ago with the electronic power steering not working. was a one of these fuses! but on first glance they looked fine but on prodding it it was obviously not attached. when in use i think they get ever so slightly warm and over time they fail.

being that these 3/4 40odd amp fuses fuse whole systems to a high level that are then fused again via the 5/10/15 amp ones in the other fuse boxes, its feasable the whole interior system/dash/interior light could not have power......
    Hence why i got my voltmeter out. incase =>

6th Gear

Status
    i can only offer suggestions........ dont shoot me down. lol

if youve tried jump starting it, im out of ideas without looking at the car....
    clutching at straws here......
    unless the battery has failed in a particular way.
    what did you jump it with? have you tried disconnecting the earth cable and putting the jump cable straight to the ring terminal that should be on the battery.
    seen flat as a fart (as in failed cells) batteries before, where when you put jumpers on the failed battery, its draws the power off your adding with the jumpleads to the point where it makes no difference unless you take the battery out of the loop. ????

but then if youve got a multimeter you'll have checked youve got 12v at the battery right?
    Last edited by murran; 10th March 2012 at 21:53.

R-Tech Terrorist

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by deeman88 View Post
    i had left the battery disconnected all this tym incase there was a short somewhere and don't want to find the car up in a purple blaze.
    Good plan mate! Better safe than sorry

1.8 litre porsche eater!

Watch this space...

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by murran View Post
    i can only offer suggestions........ dont shoot me down. lol

if youve tried jump starting it, im out of ideas without looking at the car....
    clutching at straws here......
    unless the battery has failed in a particular way.
    what did you jump it with? have you tried disconnecting the earth cable and putting the jump cable straight to the ring terminal that should be on the battery.
    seen flat as a fart (as in failed cells) batteries before, where when you put jumpers on the failed battery, its draws the power off your adding with the jumpleads to the point where it makes no difference unless you take the battery out of the loop. ????
    lol noo i ent shooting you bro, im just a bit stressed as to why this happened and whats going on under that bonnet. thats why i'm prepared to go through some of the wiring and ruling the good ones out till i find a faulty one- if the other methods dont work.
    thanks for your suggestion

Watch this space...

Status
    Good plan mate! Better safe than sorry
    I was in a car that went up in flames a few years back... but it was a totally different scenario! So yea, better safe than being the reason the Fire Brigade gets called out tonight

Watch this space...

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3 Hoggy View Post
    Does your central locking still work? Strange for battery to just die?
    Central locking doesnt work, it did once but now theres no power leaving the bonnet area so to speak

Watch this space...

Status
    my jumper cables are here, wish me luck

Watch this space...

Status
    went to jump start again, after 2 tries, i see a big spark coming from the battery area,then the car came to life. i turn on the lights and the idling goes down and picks up again. i wait a few mins and try reverse out but the car just turns off.

Chugger

Status
    Dodgy fuse tray or bad battery connection from the sound of it
    57 A3 2.0 TDI Sportback (140)

Watch this space...

Status
    overnight??

i must also add that while jumpstarting, i disconnected the -ve termical and connected the jumper cable directly to the -cable and the +ve cable was still connected to the battery

4th Gear

Status
    Be careful what u do mate if u got AA COVER give them a call out and see if they can pin point the problem, check ur wires for breaks or damage other then a new battery just going to be a slow process to see where the issues are, maybe check the history of the car and see if any work had been done in the past also did u get any warranty for the garage u bought it from maybe then can sort something out buddy

good luck with it if u need anything just holla
    deeman88 likes this.
    p

THE BLUE BEAST, TAKEN FROM ME, GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
    RTECH STAGE 2 REMAP NOW RUNNING 223 BHP AND 253 FTLB OF TORQUE,
    SUBARU IMPREZA WRX ESTATE SOON TO BE RUNNING 340 BHP
    ANTI LAG/LAUNCH CONTROL/MAF LESS/ LOVE IT !!

R-Tech Terrorist

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by deeman88 View Post
    I was in a car that went up in flames a few years back... but it was a totally different scenario! So yea, better safe than being the reason the Fire Brigade gets called out tonight
    Yeah mate I was in a car that went up too... I was on fire watch inside a car while my mate was welding, and some sound proofing caught fire near the sill, and the whole thing went whoosh!!! lucky I had a fire extinguisher though! Had a sore throat for like a month after though from the fire extinguisher :x

1.8 litre porsche eater!

1st Gear

Status
    had this with my R5 gtt's always ended up being an earth strap somewhere but aa is prolly best bet if u cant nail it.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 1.8T Sport (98)
    Fusion Stage 1 Remap
    Pipercross Panel Filter
    Forge 007p Recirc Valve
    Stainless Exhaust
    G60 Solid Flywheel & VR6 Clutch
    3 Careful Owners

Watch this space...

Status
    thanks bro, i think im gonna have to call the AA, because its a wierd sort of problem and true say... i'd rather let them stress their heads while i sip a cuppa and watch

Watch this space...

Status
    Yeah mate I was in a car that went up too... I was on fire watch inside a car while my mate was welding, and some sound proofing caught fire near the sill, and the whole thing went whoosh!!! lucky I had a fire extinguisher though! Had a sore throat for like a month after though from the fire extinguisher :x
    oh wow, so i take it your a happy bunny to be alive , im definately happy.

Watch this space...

Status
    Left the car battery unplugged overnight, and went to try start it, 1 kick and it started, running perfectly after replacing the breather hose under the inlet mani and my audi feels epic

Defo worth the wait :)

Status
    Happy days!!

Error

Status
    Glad its sorted mate!

Audi A3 1.8t AUM
    Forge 007p, Pipercross Panel Filter, Eibach Prokit 35mm drop, EBC Green Stuff Pads
    Groved Disks, HEL Braided Brake Lines with Dot 5.1 fluid.
    Creation Motorsport Silicone TIP,
    N75 hoses, DV Hose & 10mm Rear Wheel Spacers
    Powerflex Rear Beam Bushes & Diesel Dog Bone Bush
    8k HID Kit, 8k LED Side Lights, 8k Number Plate LED

Watch this space...

Status
    Thanks to everyone who contributed