S3 225 - ESP light on after coil pack recall ?!? - Help Please!!

jimbob442

Reaction score
Alright lads, Im just wondering if anyone can shine some light on my problem? Im new to this site as ive just bought the S3 and not too sure how and where to post!! Ive just bought an S3 225 and took it to the stealers yesterday to get my coil pack recall FOC obviously! When I collected it I noticed the ESP light was on as I was driving out of the forecourt!! But I had to be back at work! The acceleration seemed slightly hesitant at first and I couldnt get the light to go out! But after parking it up and re-using it later no light and driving perfect?? Could this be something to do with the recall work the stealers have done as Its a bit of a coincidence?!? Audi have said they will bring it back in tomorrow and diagnose but dont want them to pawn me off saying its not there problem?!?!?

Do I have a leg to stand on!!!!!???

Any help would be appreciated lads!!

Cheers fellas

Jimbob

Lay it on THICK!!!!

Tell them there is a power issue now and you want a complete check over the car!

Lay it on THICK!!!!

Tell them there is a power issue now and you want a complete check over the car!

Cheers AliasDJA - Your on the ball!! Thats what im thinking to go in all guns blazin!! Just hope when they look at it they dont try and slap me with a bill after for diagnostics etc!! Do you think they will??!! First Audi so dont know what the main stealers are like!!?

To be honest its going in at 08:30 tomorrow so want to try and be prepared on what to say!!

Thanks for your reply pal

I bet they unplugged the MAF. Based on the symptoms you describe, the ESP light on and lack of power, MAF would 100% be my first guess.

Might be worth checking yourself...

Adding to the previous - it's here (MAF Plug)

MAF_cleaning1.jpg

Adding to the previous - it's here (MAF Plug)

MAF_cleaning1.jpg

Thanks for the reply Welly, you seem quite confident, will have to have a look tonight then as ive not got the car with me at the mo, but the only thing im thinking is why would they unplug the MAF to change the coil packs? Or would they need to?

Thanks again

Jimbob

Just checked the MAF lads and it's still connected! Any other ideas anyone?!?

Thanks

Ideally get it scanned but if your in at 8.30 i guess that is a slim one, is the light still out now? like welly said they may have touched the ignition with things unplugged, i would not say anything sinister has happened IMO...

sorry to burst your bubble about the stealers, I had/still have power issues since they did the coil pack replacement, it was there (but no where neer as much) before they did the work but I took it back in and they checked it over, phoned me in the afternoon asking for £130 per hour for diagnostics... Id never go to the stealers again..

sorry to burst your bubble about the stealers, I had/still have power issues since they did the coil pack replacement, it was there (but no where neer as much) before they did the work but I took it back in and they checked it over, phoned me in the afternoon asking for £130 per hour for diagnostics... Id never go to the stealers again..
Whos bubble? i have not got no bubble with the dealers...:) i would not even attempt to get work done there, but the OP is asking for advise, they may have had to move the car mid work to get to the ramps etc, and put the ign on by mistake...? who knows ? im not defending them, but you cannot always say there to blame if you dont know the facts,, but at the end of the day the car should not have come out with problems it did not go in with...so they have agreed to look at it..

Last edited:
aye, sorry I didnt mean to be defeatist but Im still sour with them! hopefully they will find the problem and fix it for you buddy!

Go back in guns blazing, mine came out with EML light on cos they hadn't plugged one of the coil packs in

Alright fellas thanks for all your replies! I have been in with the car and as I was kinda expecting they said its nothing to do with them but no charge etc for looking / diagnostics etc. Im not saying it ever was anything to do with them but was funny how it came out with a problem!!? So this is where I am..

The light has not been back on since the first time when I wrote the OP and its running / driving fine.

This is the technicians report..

Carried out guided fault, found faults stored for air mass and secondary air, found pipes have gone weak allowing air through. Requires the turbo and secondary air systems checking further.

Any ideas anybody or if it was just pipes beginning to leak which ones are they talking about??

Thanks again!!

The faults are probably related to them messing about, but they should do a full scan afterwards & clear anything left over, which seems they havnt, so I'd say they havnt done there full job, hence scanned, cleared & now no lights lol.

Secondary air pump pipes can actually crack over time, had that happen to mine years back & water got in causing the pump to become fecked, had it swapped out, pipe fixed & was fine afterwards.

If its driving ok, it sounds like the fault memory hasnt been cleared hence the ESP light on. If the secondary air pump is split or cracked it will make a loud racket/hissing noise on cold start more than anything but not really any running problems...see how it goes.[h=1][/h]

If its driving ok, it sounds like the fault memory hasnt been cleared hence the ESP light on. If the secondary air pump is split or cracked it will make a loud racket/hissing noise on cold start more than anything but not really any running problems...see how it goes.

Where is the secondary air pump?!?

Thanks

On mine it was just above the bottom engine cover, bottom left, just follow the pipe coming from the airbox down towards the front of the engine to the bottom left, should find it easily.

On mine it was just above the bottom engine cover, bottom left, just follow the pipe coming from the airbox down towards the front of the engine to the bottom left, should find it easily.

Cheers pal will have a nosey and see how its looking!!

Hi mate,

I had a similar issue. I got my coil packs changed with no problem, but a few days later I changed my air filter and disconnected my maf to do so. The next time I started it the esp light and the eml came on. Both things seemed to self cure though after a few miles! The maf is a sensitive little b*gger so my money would be on that and nothing much more sinister.

Matt