Engine rev-up on starting

f13ldy

Reaction score
Sometimes I will start my motor and the engine will rev up as if I had my foot on the gas. It only lasts a second or so, but it can be quite alarming.

Its a PD130 TDI.

Any idea what is going on?

Cheers

Hi,

got the same engine, mine goes up a little - only to about 1500 revs though and then back to idle speed.

how high does it rev then?

Mike

[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

got the same engine, mine goes up a little - only to about 1500 revs though and then back to idle speed.

how high does it rev then?

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]
It goes to about 3000. But it is quite intermittant (2-3 times a week) and the outside temp doesn't seem to have any bearing on when it does this.

Cheers
Carlos

To be honest i'm not sure, sounds very odd indeed!

Might be worth posting this in the diesel forum as well, they can answer most questions about oil burners

Mike

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes I will start my motor and the engine will rev up as if I had my foot on the gas. It only lasts a second or so, but it can be quite alarming.

Its a PD130 TDI.

Any idea what is going on?

Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

My Passat Tdi PD does this occasionally, it only seems to happen when the engine is started up when its warmed up. I've had VW do a check up, and they can't find nothing wrong /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

shouldnt think its a problem tbh, could be any manner of things but nothing i can think of that would cause damage.