been asked by a coupple of people to do a write up on this, so here we go
purchased from turborevs from that wonderfull place that is ebay, for about ÂŁ105 delivered!
the only ones they had in stock were the smic's for the diesel for the a3, there built the same but has a smaller diameter hole for the map sensor, mine needed to be opened up to 18mm, but the flange bolt holes are the same!
here she is
so the first job is to remove the front bumper,
then the drivers side headlight
theres 2 torx bolts on top and one that is tucked just inside the wing
heres the origional,
theres 2 jubilee clips to remove,
warning* there was a fair amount of oil sitting in the bottem of my old ic,due to the PCV problems i had in the past. made a nice stain on the drive!
then there are 3 bolts to remove which hold the ic to the car, two above and one underneath
comparison of the old and new
swap the map sensor over
bolt new one onto the car and connect up the two hoses
you can just about see the to bolt locations on this photo
the ducting needed alot of trimming, which i did using a dremel, had to take about an inch off the ducting nearest the ic (no pics im afraid)
running without the ducting is not recommended as the logs i ran after fitting showes very high temps compared with the ducting fitted!
sorry for the pic quality
the origional ic logs were done at 8degC inthe rain, i have not been able to get testing done with the same weather condidions yet, all other logs have been done at the temps stated on the side legend in the dry
no ducting is really not an option
all the logs were done in 3rd gear WOT on the same road, trying to replicate the pre log driving condtions
so all in all, very easy to fit, took about 1 1/2 hours all in. seems to boost harder but it may just be the placebo effect but im happy