oil pump audi s3 help

black s3

Reaction score
bought this car. hour later after driving it this happened :(
Parts & Accessories : Audi S3 - (needs work)
exacly the same as his...The problem is, the oil pump went and the engine lost oil pressure. The oil pump has been change now but car is knocking quite badly, I have been told that the bottom end might need replacing? I have also been told that it will either be just the bearings? Or could need the crank re-grinded or new piston? Also the bottom end from a 210 or 225 S3, TT . . . Will fit and work ??? But I have also been told that if the bottom end has gone due to oil pressure loss - then the top end would have gone too, due to the fact the top end need's more oil pressure than the bottom. Meaning a full engine re-build.

what are the chances that if i changed the oil pump the knocking would stop? or is the engine knackered now?

any help would be much appriciated

that silver s3 isnt my car i just have the same problem

that silver s3 isnt my car i just have the same problem

The knocking is telling you that the damage has already been done im afraid.
Depending how you were driving when you lost pressure (and how much longer the engine was kept running) depends on how much damage the engine has sustained. At the least you are looking as bearings (hence the knock) so the engine has to come out and be taken apart and inspected.

This happened to me, new big end bearings and main crank bearings, crank is being regrinded too. :(

I oil pump has gone and is making a knocking sound its sound like it needs a rebuild, regrind crank, new shells etc

Other things to look into is top end damage as the oil wouldn't of made up there if the pump was damaged.

you might be surprised. best way id say is to drop the sump and change the oil pump and pick up, as your under there, if you pull no.4 bigend off and the 4th main and check them for wear.

had a oil pump problem on an 04 plate a6 1.8t at work a couple of weeks ago. it sounded absolutely knackard like a tumble drier full of marbles! the guy had driven it down to us with no oil pressure. confirmed it via plumbing in a separate guage. dropped the sump and checked said bearings, and they both looked ok, not great tho for an 81k engine.
as usual there was so much carbon everywhere inside, and the pickup was wedged full of it!
changed the pump put it all back together. started it up to find good oil pressure, took about 15-20 mins of running for the tappets to quieten down tho. pressure at hot tickover was just over 25 psi.

told the customer what we'd found and there could still be cam wear etc. its been over 2 weeks now and it hasnt been back yet....

This is the reason why I changed my pick up pipe this weekend, too many stories about this happening.

Sounds like the engine is totalled.

black s3 where about's in Devon are you?

how did the oil pump actually die?
I've got a new one waiting to go in and it doesn't look like there is much to fail in it

i cleaned the pickup last summer but am going to replace it and the oil pump this summer just to make sure its still ok

the pick up gets blocked, but the gauze in it only stops the big chunks getting through it.
the little bits still go past it, thru the pump and into the filter. these little bits wear the pump till its tolerances are quite large. large enough so it cant drag the oil thru the bocked gauze and force it thru the clogged oil filter with enough flow to build up the required pressure in the oil ways thruout the engine to protect it from wear, particullaly from cold when the oil is at its thickest.
further worryingly the filter has a sprung loaded valve it in so when the filter gets blocked the pressure goes up enough to open the valve allowing oil to bypass the filter element itself. oil goes into the engine lube system unfiltered.

next time someone says the longlife service plan is great and changing the oil every 5k is overkill, punch them in the face.

Last edited:
in north devon mate, ilfracombe, cars in braunton at the misses place though

just gradully heard knocking and bangin from the engine, and got louder from then on, so in the end i rang the aa and went home on the back of a lorry, the first aa mansaid oil pump, 2nd was so sure it was just water pump, but had a couple mates look at it and its oil pump :( only had the car an hour, does anyone think th bloke i bought it off knew about this problem?