S3 Drivetrain problem... i think...

mulligan1

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have an 8l 2001 s3 90k miles. well maintained and not driven hard (by me anyway!.)

Funny problem came up recently and im having difficulty getting to the bottom of it.

Driving on the motorway, tipping along at about 70mph it suddenly felt that i have a soft/flat tyre. Front left wheel. Car hudder- pleanty of vibration, stearing feeling a little heavier etc. Pulled over any nothing. tyres fine checked wheel fine... Hopped back in an continued the journey with no problems .i.e. problem seemed to fix itself. brought it to Audi garage, they were not so interest... "could be anything" attitude.

3 weeks later same again-on motorway- 55mph - i stopped - checked -restarted - problem gone.

brought to different mechanic - full checkup - couldnt find anything. tested fine on all machines. he said it could be a drivetrain issue but couldnt pinpoint it unless it happened when he was driving it. of course it was as good as gold that day....

2 weeks later same problem, however the traction control light flashed - (suggesting wheelspin) but i was barely moving. pulled over, checked, continued again no problem.... you no the score.howeve the traction control light stayed on this time and ant be turned off.

There is a problem which needs fixing. any suggestions on what it could be?

Thanks