Headunit advice and help

Customboy

Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm getting to my wits end with my Audi Bose headunit, the dreaded volume chip is driving me mad and I have had enough, I just wanted to ask has anyone changed their headunits with non Audi factory o se and had any problems? Is it a simple swap? But I do have the subwoofer and don't really want to lose it so is there a good replacement headunit I can use that still allows me to plug the woofer in and use without any problems? I just want a iPod friendly headunit with sd card reader installed

Any help would be great and thanks for reading

Customboy

You need a fascia adapter, pc9-410 harness adapter (providing the new HU has front & rear pre-outs) and an ISO antenna amp adapter. You can get popping from the Bose amp, but this depends on the HU, some do some don't. The subwoofer will still work.
You'd be better off replacing like for like and buying a Connects2 or xcarlink iPOD adapter IMO

When I enquired about this the guy in the car audi place said bose systems are a pain in the back side to swap over, you need some adapters for the speakers as they are 2 ohm or something... Just rip the whole bose system out or buy the adapters..

hello mate rather than buy new headunit and have all the hassle of finding the right wiring loom, send it to this guy Car Audio Technics he is in brentwood in essex and can repair the volume control for £80 he done mine and his work is second to none. you also recieve a warrenty for the work he has performed.

james

Oh brilliant Buckley! Cheers buddy will do might also buy the link as well as I do like to connect my iPhone to it but then again my tape adapter does a fine job aswell !

seriously i bought a new headunit sony ipod unit, it worked with everything like the sub and that but the quality of the sound it just not the same, the standard bose system will not be beaten unless u spend alot of money.

James

just realised your only in london so brentwood not to far from you anyways. :)

james

Yeah will ring them on Tuesday and see if I can just pop down there and give it go them, is it easy to remove the headunit does it cause any problems?

nope you just need the relase keys from halfords £3 and it pops out and theres a couple of plugs behind it and an arial.

james

Swapping out the BOSE for an aftermarket is pretty easy, I Have just done it and swapped out for the JVC KD-R521 with the BTA100 Bluetooth handsfree kit, The Head Unit looks pretty cool as it is mostly lit in red so matches existing styling. You will need the Loom adapter, a crimping tool, some connectors, 2 x ground loop isolators and some insulating tape :)

Swapping out the BOSE for an aftermarket is pretty easy, I Have just done it and swapped out for the JVC KD-R521 with the BTA100 Bluetooth handsfree kit, The Head Unit looks pretty cool as it is mostly lit in red so matches existing styling. You will need the Loom adapter, a crimping tool, some connectors, 2 x ground loop isolators and some insulating tape :)

What's the sound quality like? And do you get the 'popping noise'

sound quality matches the bose in my opinion and no popping thanks to 2 ground loop isolators - the bluetooth kit is pretty awesome have no complaints from people i call they often dont realise im driving

mine all worked ok, the sub was active and the speakers sounded ok but i still found better quality out of my bose stereo, other thing that was noted with the sony headunit that was put in, it would interfeare with the vag com gear so they were unable to code read and look at it on the comptuer as it kept coming up with connection fault, but as soon as u unplug the headunit it was able to connect.

james