A3 8l 1999 spoiler help!

andya3turbo

Reaction score
Hi eveybody, i am thinking about fitting a rear boot spoiler to my a3 but i am not sure if i can do it? do they have to be bonded or something? :think:

ive purchased an genuine s3 soiler cut the lug of cleaned it all up and then stuck it on with tiger seal and its absolutely solid, will never move,

james

ive purchased an genuine s3 soiler cut the lug of cleaned it all up and then stuck it on with tiger seal and its absolutely solid, will never move,

james

As above, That's just about as good as you are going to get it without it looking awful.

:icon_thumright: thanks guys i will get on the hunt for both and find out which will be gentle on the wallet?

Just won a s3 spoiler on daz bay for £10.00 :rockwoot: got a few marks on but will be gettin filled and painted ming blue when it arrives, just one question are they made out of ally or plastic? i even thought it might be made from sponge life the old sierra rs ones lol

I have an S3 spoiler I will be fitting soon. Just need to cut the lugs off and respray it. It still has the double sided sticky tape on it though, should I scrape this off?

whats yours made from? has the tape been used? if your going to repaint then i would take it off and renew, will you be useing tiger seal to stick it on?

whats yours made from? has the tape been used? if your going to repaint then i would take it off and renew, will you be useing tiger seal to stick it on?

Tape has been used. It's an OEM S3 one. I am planning on using tiger seal.

I have had my boot lid panels off today and the holes are there on the inner skin that are there on the s3, so i think i will be getting the drill out and bolt my spoiler on, still waiting for mine to come :(

I have had my boot lid panels off today and the holes are there on the inner skin that are there on the s3, so i think i will be getting the drill out and bolt my spoiler on, still waiting for mine to come :(

I thought the holes on the a3 were through the glass.

I wasn't sure until today i put a screwdriver through the holes and tapped on the metal, i could feel the tip of the screwdriver tapping, the glass stops at the edge of the boot lid lip and there's 4 holes in line with the brake light strip, i found a s3 boot lid on ebay and the holes seen in the picture match the ones on my boot, (here's the link)
2000 AUDI S3 QUATTRO SILVER TAILGATE | eBay

I just used tigerseal on mine, and it's not going anywhere...

5786042760_1cd9c04b80_z.jpg

Reactions: andya3turbo
looking good, is the spoiler plastic or metal? mine is due to come on thurs :icon_thumright:

I just used tigerseal on mine, and it's not going anywhere...

5786042760_1cd9c04b80_z.jpg

Looks awesome! Did you remove the old sticky tape? And how did you manage to line it up? A cheeky little guide would be awesome! Did you need anything to hold it in place?

looking good, is the spoiler plastic or metal? mine is due to come on thurs :icon_thumright:
It's plastic.

You'll be very happy with it. it's right up there with the best mods I have done to my car.
Looks awesome! Did you remove the old sticky tape? And how did you manage to line it up? A cheeky little guide would be awesome! Did you need anything to hold it in place?

Thanks alot. Was cleaned down and prepped by me and sprayed by a local company. Put tigerseal on and then got it all lined up be holding it all on with masking tape (not ideal, was a ba5tard to remove so possibly some of the tape the detailers use might work better) and left it for about 15 hours, tried moving it about and all seemed fine so removed tape. It's been speed tested up to 135mph and has been on a year through rain, snow and as much heat as Britain has got to offer, so I don't think it's going anywhere.

Thanks, i will be tigersealing mine on after reading your guide lol, and the masking tape thing, did that once myself :ohmy: got the wd40 out to get it off lol.

I wouldn't of thought masking tape was too difficult to remove. Black tape however... Not too sure what to use now.

Well i sprayed a patch of me bumper once after a white mini bus decided to hit it and drive away :mad:, and the masking tape left all the sticky stuff behind. i am thinking of doing a thread on my spoiler when it arrives painting, fitting ect

When i did this, I cut the lugs off with a hacksaw blade, removed the old tape with a wood chisel/white spirit, then roughed the bottom of the spoiler and the top of the bootlid up with wet and dry. I stuck it with the strongest looking glue i could find in b&q , which I think was 'serious stuff' by evostick....

I had masking tape ready to hold it while it glued, but the glue was so thick, it just didn't need it, I checked back every hour or so and it hadn't moved a millimeter and it hasn't since... I tug at it now and again to check if its going to fall off unexpectedly, and it seems fine :)

Mr postman left this today :happy:

551720_4128601216191_1318263323_3654048_2004771813_n.jpg

All unwrapped and already in my garage ready for sanding.
579820_4128613736504_2115795975_n.jpg

Shame i dont have a yellow a3 as the paint work on it is mint for a 12 year old part
599700_4128614416521_849154939_n.jpg

More pics and a update comeing soon!!:thumbsup:

Time to cut the lugs......
DSCF9009-1.jpg

Below, lugs gone thanks to my hacksaw and file
DSCF9060.jpg

DSCF9061.jpg

Now time to stick it on, i ruffed it up with some 400cw wet/dry sandpaper
DSCF9062.jpg

Below I went to ledsons to get the adhesive it does the same job as tiger seal, i tested some and it welds anything it touches lol
DSCF9063.jpg

i put over half the tube on and hopeing that will be enough
DSCF9065.jpg

And its on wooooooo!!
DSCF9067.jpg

Few adjustments and i have weighted it down, looks worrying i know hope there's no earthquakes overnight :ermm:
DSCF9069.jpg

And thats it! one thing still though its black and this is because the paint sprayer i will be useing will need to blend the roof in to the spoiler, so that will be getting done shortly :rock:

Time to sit back for about 15 20 hours now for it to set

I bought a spoiler off eBay it's not a radiculous thing and I'm carbon vinyl wrapping it, I got a thread over the last few days with a link to the item the tread is called got my spoiler through

Reactions: andya3turbo
I had a toot at that the other da, i had not fitted mine at that point and it made me think about wrapping it but wasint sure if it would look right with the ming blue??

I'm sure if you done it so it looked professional it would look good, ie don't have creases and bubbles in the vinyl. I paid £4 for my vinyl. For that money you can't go wrong

Time to cut the lugs......
DSCF9009-1.jpg

Below, lugs gone thanks to my hacksaw and file
DSCF9060.jpg

DSCF9061.jpg

Now time to stick it on, i ruffed it up with some 400cw wet/dry sandpaper
DSCF9062.jpg

Below I went to ledsons to get the adhesive it does the same job as tiger seal, i tested some and it welds anything it touches lol
DSCF9063.jpg

i put over half the tube on and hopeing that will be enough
DSCF9065.jpg

And its on wooooooo!!
DSCF9067.jpg

Few adjustments and i have weighted it down, looks worrying i know hope there's no earthquakes overnight :ermm:
DSCF9069.jpg

And thats it! one thing still though its black and this is because the paint sprayer i will be useing will need to blend the roof in to the spoiler, so that will be getting done shortly :rock:

Time to sit back for about 15 20 hours now for it to set

Nice guide. This will help me out when I come to do mine soon!

£4 That's a bargain, how much did you get for that? i think you use a hairdryer when putting it on? makes it easier.

Heres some before and after pics of the spoiler im am totally chuffed with the look! :rock:

before
DSCF1118.jpg

DSCF1119-Copy.jpg

AFTER! :rockwoot:

010.jpg

009.jpg

Also in the pic is the sebring back box which i did last october.

£4 That's a bargain, how much did you get for that? i think you use a hairdryer when putting it on? makes it easier.

the size was 1250mmx300mm could do with it being wider, i tried to wrap it but it creased where it folded under so i took it all of just going to get it sprayed now, if you have the patience its worth a try!

I used to have that prob with window film :banghead:, i will get my painted in time im happy with the black at the min though, and a holiday with the misses in 2 weeks ive got to watch the pennys, (spending more money on that ****** car :blahblah1:) lol

Heres some before and after pics of the spoiler im am totally chuffed with the look! :rock:

before
DSCF1118.jpg

DSCF1119-Copy.jpg

AFTER! :rockwoot:

010.jpg

009.jpg

Also in the pic is the sebring back box which i did last october.

this might sound abit stupid but i was thinking of doing this mod , did u remove the top part of the boot lid and then use tiger seal or just glue it ontop ? i mean the top part of the boot thats the same colour as your car in the before pic

Definitely want to get this done... looking at some fleabay specials now... For those that got it painted - how much are we talking and what kind of place is best to go for a professional job? Not worth getting the paint match from somewhere are spraying myself?

this might sound abit stupid but i was thinking of doing this mod , did u remove the top part of the boot lid and then use tiger seal or just glue it ontop ? i mean the top part of the boot thats the same colour as your car in the before pic

Did you get an answer to this? I want a spoiler on my 02 plate and wondered the same thing...?