S3 - No boost and an oil leak

JK99

Reaction score
Hi,

First post on the forum and it's not a good one. I bought a 2000 S3 a couple of weeks ago and I've got a couple of problems to sort.

The CTS and Stat needed replaced so I did that and the gauge now works as normal.

I also replaced the MAF as the car was a bit sluggish when cold too. When changing them, I noticed a bit of a film of oil on the end of the MAF on the O/S. is this normal?

Faults were cleared but I've still got no boost and was told it was flagging up with a Low Boost Pressure code?

Theres also an oil leak developed and I think it's coming from the IC pipe infront of the battery. Has anyone come across this and dwhat is the sensor that goes into the pipe - its held in with 2 torx. Do you think this could be the problem?

Many thanks.

Joel

Joel,

I dont know what the sensor may be in the pipe, but sounds like you may have a leak on the IC pipe. This would cause a loss in boost I think. Mine also has oily residue from the turbo all the way up to the MAF, so can only guess it's normal as the turbo is only a few thousand miles old.

Cheers Sam - that's a bit of re-assurance. I'll get the pipes off and see how it is.

Also going to replace the re-circ with a Forge one. Can't do any harm I guess.

The pipe thats oily is the MAP sensor pipe, be careful when removing it.

Sounds like a boost leak you have, id start checking all the small pipes under the inlet manifold, all the pcv piping and the upper boost pipes, check for any tears, holes, lose clips etc, also make sure you have good quality clips fitted.

youd have to have a pretty big boost leak to throw up this code, to the point that it would run badly off boost too with such a big air leak. that oily intercooler pipe could well be it, check it very closly! that sensor sounds like the boost pressure sensor.

other than that, check the wastegate solenoid is working. when they fail its usually in the open position letting boost pressure straight to the wastegate so your stuck with 0.3 bar max. and this would throw up the code you have.

also check the two wires to it, tho if the wire was broken youd have a fault code for it.

have you checked the actual boost pressure with a separate guage?

Last edited:
Will have a check of everything mentioned at the weekend. The car runs ok off boost - only thing I've noticed is what feels like a very small miss at idle.

Thanks for the ideas guys - got a new set of pipes coming and a new re-circ too. Will get those fitted and see how it goes.