Many thanks to AmD

Paul-RS6

Reaction score
Id just like to thank Shaun, Paul and Scott for their help today.

To cut a long story short,whilst at Wayside, some Gorilla has done my wheel nuts up so tight, that a local tyre fitter could not shift them with a 3ft breaker bar.

they managed to get one locking bolt out, before the key gave up, and snapped

A quick call to Amd, and I limped over to them with one wheel bolt missing.

Credit to the lads at Amd. They took the car in to help me, when very close to closing, and with Scott due to make his way to GTI International after work.

Shaun managed to shear an impact grade 17mm socket clean off trying to release them.

Scott then split a special (even stronger) wheel nut socket down the middle in his attempt.

All whilst Paul was looking for a matching key.

the lads managed to back off all the normal bolts and re-fit to the right torque, and supplied me with a spare bolt to replace the looking one that could not be refitted.

leaving the other lockers (and still damn tight) in place until new set and some spare keys are ordered next week.

Id like to thank them for their help and for getting me back into a position, where i can use the car safely in the mean time.

Apolagies for the broken tools lads! I hope the lifetime warranties cover them! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I will see you next week for round two, when the keys come in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

their help was very much appreciated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

So standing on the bar didn't help loosen them?

It must be dangerous to have them done up so tight i'd have thought!

pictures in a similar thread on tyresmoke.

I dread to think what sort of damage whould have happened if they had stood on it too.

probably rounded off the bolt heads.

how did they get that tight in the first place, where did you take it to just so everyone knows not to got there. glad youve got it sorted i here nothing but prase from the lads at AMD. top stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif

still yet to get the lockers out on 3 wheels.

New key(s) ordered incase any more break.

The wheels were done up tight whilst it was in for service at Wayside Audi MK..

rest assured ill be having words and showing them the bill.

but i dont hold up much hope.

must be strong bolts!

nice work AMD /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif

just swapped my wheel round (front to rear) and found my bolts were tight to remove, but this was more due to rust on the threads. so wire brushed them up and added a dab of copper slip to them when refitting.

ill be getting AmD to copper slip the lot when they get the remaining lockers out.

i dont really want to attempt to take them out myself, not after seeing what it took to release the normal bolts!

Copper slipping wheels bolts. Now there's an area for discussion. I'll wait for the arguments to start! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

yes i seen debates on this.

does it/doesnt it affect the torque applied to said bolts etc.

ive used a dab before. just not them flooded in the stuff.

we use copper slip on our machines at work.

they work at very high temps, 400 degrees c and very high torques. 700Nm upto 1400Nm+ dependant on machine

well ive used it on wheel nuts for 15 years and never a problem.

so thats my wheel coming off some time this week then lol

Rung Wayside today,

They deny they had the wheels off, to which I still strongly dispute, for various reasons.

but they have agreed to pay for replacement parts, and I pushed them to agree to replacing all the bolts including locking wheel ones as they have been stressed.

this was further than i thought i would get so have left it at this.

I'll be presenting them with the AmD parts bill.