S3 turbo to downpipe bolts - how the f...

lloydie1

Reaction score
So ive been battling with this most of the afternoon. Engine is completely loose bar the turbo to downpipe bolts. Ive pulled the engine up and out to try and get to them but no joy. There are three right ? 16mm ? Cant see any of them whatever i do, can touch two of them but thats it. I dont want to take the oil and water lines off the turbo them drop the turbo from the manifold really. So how is it done ? The workshop manual says that you can get to them through the arch which maybe you can on an LHD car, but on a RHD car the master cylinder is in the way. Is there a trick im missing or dont know about ? If it comes to it i'll get a 9" grinder and cut the exhaust through.
Thanks

yea they are a swine,but i used heat and a small,3/8 air ratchet to get them out,all from the top with the turbo steel pipe out the way.

yea they are a swine,but i used heat and a small,3/8 air ratchet to get them out,all from the top with the turbo steel pipe out the way.

Yes if i had a compressor i would have been all over it, but i dont. No one else ever taken the turbo off and S3 or the engine out of an S3 ?

Yes I've done both and to get the turbo off I took the transfer box off as it gives much more space...have fun

take the transfer box out? what are you on about?

ive been working on these things for 12 years. in my time i must have done 70/80 cambelts on these, removed heads on 10-15, turbos 10+, changed engines on atleast 6. clutches 15+...... ive never taken the transfer box off to do any of these jobs ever.

when im taking engines or turbos out of these at work, on a two poster ramp, one of the first things i do is completely remove the subframe (leaving the steering rack hanging). saves so much faffing around getting to stuff like down pipe nuts, prop bolts etc.

undo the rack bolts. drop the bottom ball joints out of the hub carriers. undo the big subframe bolts. theres also a pesky power steering support bracket on the n/s.
you can have them off in 10 minutes with air tools.

i remember a new mechanic that started at work last year. supposable experienced. he'd been with us about a month when the boss gave him a clutch to do on a 225 bam tt, he told me not to show him how to do it.
no word of a lie it was on the ramp 2 days! if everything goes to plan its a 4.5-5 hour job on and off the ramp.

Last edited:
Should anyone come searching for this thread in the future - i have the answer. Although the replies were good, they both assumed i had access to a car ramp or air tools which i dont in my garage, and i guess not many do.
The answer is to ignore the workshop manual (ElsaWin) and completely remove the drivers side driveshaft. With that out of the way, and the heatshield above it removed, there is just about sufficient access to the bolts from the wheel arch, with a combination of extensions and a universal joint. My engine is now out !!

take the transfer box out? what are you on about?

ive been working on these things for 12 years. in my time i must have done 70/80 cambelts on these, removed heads on 10-15, turbos 10+, changed engines on atleast 6. clutches 15+...... ive never taken the transfer box off to do any of these jobs ever.

when im taking engines or turbos out of these at work, on a two poster ramp, one of the first things i do is completely remove the subframe (leaving the steering rack hanging). saves so much faffing around getting to stuff like down pipe nuts, prop bolts etc.

undo the rack bolts. drop the bottom ball joints out of the hub carriers. undo the big subframe bolts. theres also a pesky power steering support bracket on the n/s.
you can have them off in 10 minutes with air tools.

i remember a new mechanic that started at work last year. supposable experienced. he'd been with us about a month when the boss gave him a clutch to do on a 225 bam tt, he told me not to show him how to do it.
no word of a lie it was on the ramp 2 days! if everything goes to plan its a 4.5-5 hour job on and off the ramp.

so with all that wealth of experience you drop the subframe out to do the turbo,ever tried to take the transfer box out ? not hard is it?? and it opens that area right up,what works for you then do so,as for telling me how to do my job when all i gave was some advise...please,seems like you only know one brand of vehicles.

so with all that wealth of experience you drop the subframe out to do the turbo,ever tried to take the transfer box out ? not hard is it?? and it opens that area right up,what works for you then do so,as for telling me how to do my job when all i gave was some advise...please,seems like you only know one brand of vehicles.

uh oh....sh*t just got real 'yo! :shutup2:

At the end of the day, its all personal preference and whatever suits you best. I'm with AudiS3-Turbo on this one, there's no need for personal insults when all he was doing is giving his advice based on his previous experience, as is everyone else.

I think the difference here is pros and diyers.... most of us wont count the hours doing a job as it is an hobby, but if it is your living your going to look for the best/fastest way to get a job completed, if its not the "said way" makes no odds if the garage owner finds it the fastest/least frustrating, when i say to some off my mates im taking the head off to change the manifold/turbo they look at me as if i have lost it....:wacko: