Reaction score
Got a few choices just would like a bit of info on people's views really

Its between

Bmc
itg
k&n
green performance
and pipercross

green - they allow good flow. washable in water. Have run K&N and pipercross and rate green above both.

I use a BMC Panel Filter. Not as oily as the K&N's but work perfect with my smooth out standard air box

K&N as I have them in my bikes and rate them. Makes a bit more whooshing sound which is nice.

Interesting link.
But 1. The sand or any airbourne particles have to find a way into the airbox for a start. and 2. What air bourne particles are likely to damage an engine IF they got their.
Most oem boxes have a complex or hidden feed to them i.e in the wing, so altjough those pics do show something and its a fair point, in the real world i think its hardly an issue, and the performance benefits of uprated induction system far outweigh any risk.

I'm more then happy with the pipercross panel filter was recommended by Ben @ Rtech !

whats wrong with a paper one, cheap as chips and as already said there are no gains with a non oem filter.
airflow gains, noise gains, response gains, livelyness

may not transfer to gains on the dyno, but from the drivers seat it makes it a little more enjoyable.

and, with a large open cone, gains on the dyno HAVE been seen on tuned cars.

all this negativity about uprated filters. why on earth would tuners and teams use them otherwise.

There were tests done by Glen and he saw no gains with a panel filter on multiple rolling roads runs.

Extra noise ..... no thanks

why do tuners use them ???? they would sell sand to the arabs if they could. Teams probally see gains as they will be on the edge pushing the engine to the limits but on a std remap I can`t see the point.

I just dont think the risk to the engine is worth it for 5hp.

Quite a few folk have noticed compressor tip damage when using aftermarket filters. Very fine nicks on the tips of the turbo compressor due to small particles of dust/sand etc hitting the compressor when its doing 100000rpm. I'm sure someone over on SRS put a photo up of the damage to his compressor on a 6 month old pair of K04's which he'd run with an open cone filter, and i too noticed damage to the compressor of the Scroll hybrid i baught used for my own car. So thats one example of an issue caused by poor filtration.

It also causes bore wear and valve seat wear as you would expect from flowing fine abrasives thru your engine day in day out for years.

You might think particles of sand are never going to make it into the inlet, But theres always dust/dirt floating around, especially on warm dry days, as anyone whos driven their car on a warm summers day will notice the thin film of dust on the paintwork after a drive.

Theres a reason that even high performance production cars where every possible horsepower is being squeezed out of them, still run paper filters. They quite simply are the only filter that will give your engine a properly cleaned supply of air.

I dont dispute that some of these products will give your engine more power, but so would running without any filter at all. Similarly inflating your tyres to 90psi or cutting off all the cars bodywork will make it accellerate quicker, but most folk are sensible enough to realise thats a stupid idea.