Badger5Monster Motorsport
    Error

Status

Exclamation Replacing springs tomorrow, is there anything I will need to replace at the same time

Hi,

Sorry for the long title xD! I'm replacing my OEM springs tomorrow for some eibach prokit springs, unfortunately I cannot afford to replace the dampers at this moment in time, which I know isnt good but they will be replaced in the near future!

On removal of the old springs I am guessing there will be things that will need replacing such as bolts and other bits because when I looked everything seemed pretty old and rough and i might have to use some brute force to remove bits. If anyone has gone through this before or knows what happens when you replace springs, Id be much appreciative if you could give me a list of things that I will need to go grab from TPS tomorrow before I get the car up with the wheels off!

Thanks a lot in advance!

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Wel id say change top mount rubber's with top mount bearings,apart from that you wnt know unless it breaks!

Audi S3- 1.8T Quattro
    Liquid Yellow
    Audi R8 Rims

Its never finished!

Error

Status
    Thanks a lot for your reply, any idea on the cost of the top mount bearings and rubbers? Im a bit worried that TPS wont have the stuff in stock when I come to get them. Not sure if they have deliverys on saturdays!

4th Gear

Status
    Top mounts should be all you need and some pictures up on here after fitting them PLEASE!!!

5th Gear

Status
    They will have them in stock!,think delivery stops at 12!

Audi S3- 1.8T Quattro
    Liquid Yellow
    Audi R8 Rims

Its never finished!

Error

Status
    thanks again mate, ill give them a shout early tomorrow morning and get their thumbs out of their arses xD the coventry TPS have always been good and keep giving me more and more discount when I go back xD I got a whopping 3% off last time!!! Might be lucky and get 4% off these

Are all the fixings reusable, such as the bolts and the rubber stoppers (i dont know what they are called) that stops the springs hitting metal on metal?

Ill get some pics up scott, I doubt 35mm is going to look much different with my ****ty 16" wheels and 20ft tyre walls but we will soon see! all I want is a car that doesnt do a barrel roll when I turn or do front flip everytime I use the brakes hard.

Thanks again for the replies, any info on the bolts and other fixings would be helpful! also, any idea what TPS would/should charge for drop links and top mount bearings and rubbers?

1st Gear

Status
    I replaced all my springs about a year ago my back shocks are goosed now so gona look for a full kit so I would say wait but I no what it's like lol. Get some spring compressors if u haven't allready for the front springs apart from that I didn't need anything apart from sockets/spanners etc
    IF IN DOUBT FLAT OUT---iF U AINT RUBBIN U AINT DUBBIN

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by metromaster View Post
    thanks again mate, ill give them a shout early tomorrow morning and get their thumbs out of their arses xD the coventry TPS have always been good and keep giving me more and more discount when I go back xD I got a whopping 3% off last time!!! Might be lucky and get 4% off these

Are all the fixings reusable, such as the bolts and the rubber stoppers (i dont know what they are called) that stops the springs hitting metal on metal?

Ill get some pics up scott, I doubt 35mm is going to look much different with my ****ty 16" wheels and 20ft tyre walls but we will soon see! all I want is a car that doesnt do a barrel roll when I turn or do front flip everytime I use the brakes hard.

Thanks again for the replies, any info on the bolts and other fixings would be helpful! also, any idea what TPS would/should charge for drop links and top mount bearings and rubbers?
    Yes you can reuse them!,think top mount and bearings are about £20!,drop links about £22 ish!.

Audi S3- 1.8T Quattro
    Liquid Yellow
    Audi R8 Rims

Its never finished!

Error

Status
    Cheers boss, much appreciated for all your help. Ill update tomorrow or saturday, I dont finish work till 5.30 tomorrow night so Ill be doing the rears in the garage tomorrow night and the fronts on saturday after a visit to TPS. A mate who works at silverstone doing something with suspension is gonna be giving me a hand... He's got a set of Ohlins dampers from a mk4 golf sat at work for sale but I cant justify spending £700 on them xD

5th Gear

Status
    Best to stick to the plan,then coilovers when you have enough money,i would recomend polybushing with coilovers!,set of coilovers and polybushed £550!,thats what id go for!

Audi S3- 1.8T Quattro
    Liquid Yellow
    Audi R8 Rims

Its never finished!

Error

Status
    Im not a huge fan of coilies to be honest, Id never change the height of them and I think I might rather stick with spring/shock combo. Just out of curiosity, since I guess my reason for not wanting coilies is what I have just said, what benefits do they give you? Im going to Poly Bush it next month when I get paid properly, This months additions is an S3 boot spoiler which ive wanted to do since I bought the car.

Audi A3 1.8t AUM
    Forge 007p, Pipercross Panel Filter, Eibach Prokit 35mm drop, EBC Green Stuff Pads
    Groved Disks, HEL Braided Brake Lines with Dot 5.1 fluid.
    Creation Motorsport Silicone TIP,
    N75 hoses, DV Hose & 10mm Rear Wheel Spacers
    Powerflex Rear Beam Bushes & Diesel Dog Bone Bush
    8k HID Kit, 8k LED Side Lights, 8k Number Plate LED

Pushing the limits..

Status

My Social Networking

Add Sevv on Facebook
    Awesome - OEM Leon Cupra R Top Mount Bushes (Pair)

Awesome - Suspension Top Mount Bearing - All A3 8L, TT Mk1, Golf Mk4, Bora etc

there you go mate price checks from awesome ive ordered them as im putting in my Eibach/Bilstein B12 kit together

Error

Status
    cheers Sevv

Audi A3 1.8t AUM
    Forge 007p, Pipercross Panel Filter, Eibach Prokit 35mm drop, EBC Green Stuff Pads

Pushing the limits..

Status

My Social Networking

Add Sevv on Facebook
    youre wlecome

Error

Status

Made a Start tonight

Alright guys, I have done the rears, all went very smoothly, no need for penetrating oil etc, had a close inspection of the bush's and they all look reletively sturdy still to be honest (more than can be said about the front ARB bushes that allow a bit of play in the ARB.... whats causing a nocking noise maybe?) I took some pics and I may attempt a little write up.
    Firstly, my phone was nearly out of battery and the flash wouldnt work (Trust HTC to build that feature into phones) so the pics are not that amazing.

To remove the rear springs is extremely easy, remove the bottom bolt on the damper on each side, let it drop slowly on a Jack untill the spring just pops out. simples...

All you need to do now is remove the rubber stopper on the top of the old spring and put it onto the new one (unless its broken down obviously, mine were fine so didnt need replacing)

put the springs in and make sure they sit right, jack the rear arm back up and put the bolt back through the damper.

The wheels are on and its dropped back down now. I can tell a little bit of a drop, but hopefully it will settle in the next few weeks.

The fronts jacked and its late so I painted the calipers quickly and soaked the pinch bolts in penetrating oil so hopefully they will come off easily in the morning... so far the fronts are like this... dust seal around the dampers ****ed but doesnt seem to be leaking...

Audi A3 1.8t AUM

Error

Status
    One quick question though, do the dampers on the front locate in propperly on their own or do I have to mark them up?

Audi A3 1.8t AUM

5th Gear

Status
    If you mean back into the hub,theres a metal clip that will need to be st8 going into locator!,or shock going to far into hub,no because there is weld on the bottom of hub hole to stop shock going all the way through!

Audi S3- 1.8T Quattro
    Liquid Yellow
    Audi R8 Rims

Its never finished!

Error

Status
    Fantastic, thats exactly what i needed to know, cheers mate.

Audi A3 1.8t AUM

Error

Status
    All four springs are on now, new top mounts and bearings also. Car feels so much more planted! It's amplified the problem I had with my wheels where it's pulls slightly to the left, but ill just take it in for a wheel alignment soon, I can live with it for now. I'll post pics tomorrow. Cheers

Audi A3 1.8t AUM

Error

Status
    Okay, got the photobucket app so here's some pics.

I'll get some photos of the car tomorrow when it's light!

Audi A3 1.8t AUM