Dipstick tube

A3AH

Reaction score
I believe I may have just broke the dipstick tube.

Heard a crunch yesterday night after fitting the TIP but. Just checked my oil and now I cant get the dipstick back in and its got tiny bits of broken plastic at the bottom.

How dangerous is this? Gonna ring tps or audi tomorrow and get another hopefully.

Someone's gonna go fishing

Something tells me the housing to these screw on....anf off incase anything gets stuck.../

im quite sure there just push fit and held by a bracket at the top, it was for my s3 anyway. take it off and get the part number, there not much from audi

They just twist and pull out. Mine broke when I tried to remove mine, had to keep breaking it to get it off. It cost around £3.70 from tps I think :)

I know it sounds silly but I would take it right out from the base of the plastic have a look down the tube and if you can see any plastic get a Hoover on it! I had to do this when changing my thermostat, One little peice broke off at the bottom of my dipstick tube. I already had a spare tube that I bought from euro car parts for £3!!! so wasn't a big deal.

Thats why it was disconnected because i was gonna attempt the thermostat, but i broke it without even taking it off.

Atleast i know there easy to fit and cheap to buy..

How easy is it to remove it to the bottom and hoover out the bits of plastic?

This happend to me. I ending up taking the sump off and changing the oil for piece of mind. In theory though,the oil pick up has a mesh shield so the plastic should get sucked into the engine

This happend to me. I ending up taking the sump off and changing the oil for piece of mind. In theory though,the oil pick up has a mesh shield so the plastic should get sucked into the engine

In theory it should get sucked in or shouldnt

Put the new one in boiling water for 10 mins or so before you attempt to fit it, otherwise you may well end up snapping it as you try to fit it.

Thanks for the heads up, cant be bothered with any more speedbumps.

the old one on your car will have gone brittle with age and heat. new ones are quite sturdy and flexible to a point. doubt you break it fitting it unless your heavy handed or/and use a lump hammer to seat it.

Dip stick tube, less than £10,
Oil pick up pipe, less than £10

Engine rebuild due to clogged pick up ££££££££££

If you haven't replaced the pick up pipe and your car is of higher miles I'd be tempted to do it soon, it will cost less than £100 for all the genuine Audi parts and castrol oil and filter

I replaced my dipstick tube when doing the pick up pipe,

bazil:1504789 said:
Dip stick tube, less than £10,
Oil pick up pipe, less than £10

Engine rebuild due to clogged pick up ££££££££££

If you haven't replaced the pick up pipe and your car is of higher miles I'd be tempted to do it soon, it will cost less than £100 for all the genuine Audi parts and castrol oil and filter

I replaced my dipstick tube when doing the pick up pipe,

X2

Yeah do the oil pick up if its high mileage. I did mine around 85k

hi
i did this, and the plastic bits fell in to the sump opps.
TPS for dipstick tube £2.
If you do take the sump off, the bolts on the sump are 10mm heads.
found this out when when undoing the bolts with the allen key head and thought id rounded the head off, looked up and saw they were 10mm heads.
this was a s3 sump though

Im an a3 on 57,000

Ill get the pick up pipe done, but ive only ordered the dipstick tube atm because I wasnt aware.

i replaced my pickup pipe last week at 73,500 miles and it was still fine but its done for peace of mind

Done mine at 90,000 miles, my car has FASH, I was shocked

P5230095.jpg

Had the same broken dipstick tube on mine, only found out when I dropped the oil and found loads of little orange bits in the oil

Turns out the original owner had bodged the tube back together with a metal sleeve around the outside

NOB

Took the sump off for a clean and did a few quick oil n filter changes just for piece of mind

Now the crankcase breather pipe is starting to disintegrate time to repeat

How tricky is it to remove the sump, change the pickup and refit the sump?

How long/much would it take a garage to do?

I have ramps or can put on axle stands?

Liam

the job itself is not to hard at all, theres quite a few bolts to undo
my sump was a pain to get off once the bolts were out due to the sealant that was used around the sealing edge,

have not changed the pickup yet

took me about 1 hour all in to do, in the garden, on ramps

Markeyboy, thanks for that.

Don't suppose you know the VAG part numbers for the sealant? I know I could probably use something off the shelf from Halfords or other motor factor but I like the nice warm fuzzy feeling of knowing, absolutely, that everything has been done the way Audi intended.

I have the OEM sealant for the rocker cover gasket, which is on my to do list, but I guess that's different?

Liam