JMB RetrofitsEM Tuning
    Reverse Gear

Status

Steering Rack died!

My steering rack has died on my '01 S3, decided to dump its entire contents all over the works car park (which I am not owning up too! :-) ) so I shall be having a fun packed weekend underneath the car changing this.

Also been having a few knocks from the front end due to it starting to now show its age, 183k and going strong.

I am thinking while I am going to be pulling this all apart I may as well replace the bushes on the ARB, steering, front and rear wishbone with Powerflex and new top mounts. Kind of need it in the case of the wishbone bushes! Also changing the ball joints and tie rod ends.
    Drop links done not too long ago.

Have I missed anything which I should be looking at for replacement while I have all this lot out?

Just asking as I don't want to have all this lot out for someone to say while you were there you should have done this fix which can only be done when you have the subframe down.

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    Welcome to the club, I've just spent £1950 having my steering rack, pump, cooler and hoses replaced. Not amusing i can assure you.. good luck with the repairs, keep us updated.

Nige
    1999 Audi S3 Superchips remap, Forge 007p, Phatnoise, Black Diamond Discs & DS2500 pads, N249 Deleted, Badger 5 TIP, Poly dogbone bush, Bilstein B8's and Eibach Springs.

1986 Audi Coupe Quattro 2.2 restoration project

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sportquattro View Post
    Welcome to the club, I've just spent £1950 having my steering rack, pump, cooler and hoses replaced. Not amusing i can assure you.. good luck with the repairs, keep us updated.

Nige

god who ever did that had your pants down
    2K ****in hell

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bez101 View Post
    god who ever did that had your pants down
    2K ****in hell
    Plymouth Audi, parts prices were stupidly expensive esp the hoses.
    1999 Audi S3 Superchips remap, Forge 007p, Phatnoise, Black Diamond Discs & DS2500 pads, N249 Deleted, Badger 5 TIP, Poly dogbone bush, Bilstein B8's and Eibach Springs.

1986 Audi Coupe Quattro 2.2 restoration project

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hopefully mine will not cost anywhere near that, so far about £250 all in including new bolts and nuts for the subframe and alike.
    Got a second hand rack from ebay, nice guy I got it from he even had a few handy hints for when doing this job. :-)

Will keep you posted on how it all goes. Going to try and get it all done on Saturday on the drive way so haven't got the luxury of a garage or anything lets hope its not too cold or going to rain!

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sportquattro View Post
    Plymouth Audi, parts prices were stupidly expensive esp the hoses.
    thats why you dont use audi for repairs like that

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Are you sure its the rack thats had it, has the steering fluid goes into some metal pipes under the engine and round the bottom of the radiator, and are prone to splitting...

Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    Are you sure its the rack thats had it, has the steering fluid goes into some metal pipes under the engine and round the bottom of the radiator, and are prone to splitting...
    Had exactly this the other day and posted a thread about it so defo worth checking out
    Audi S3 8L BAM 225 2002 - Ming Blue : Silver Heated Leather, Armrest, RNS-E - Bose, Alloy Mirrors, 18" RSTT`s, Sunroof, Cruise, AutoDim Mirror & Usual S3 Extras.
    Mods : Badger 5 Stg 2 Custom Map, FMIC, 3" DP & 200 Cell Cat, 007P, Jetex Filter & 80mm TIP & Heatshield, Complete LED Kit, Gen VW Aero Wipers, Full Powerflex Kit, R32 RARB, AP Shocks & Springs, 15mm Front & 20mm Rear Spacers, BB Uprated Actuator,
    N249 Delete & Catch Can, AP TVR 4Pot Brakes & DS2500`s, Sachs Carbon/Kevlar Clutch

Reverse Gear

Status
    No I can see to oil pouring out of a split in one of the gaiters. So unfortunately it is the rack that has given up the ghost.

Just one other question I have ordered powerflex front wishbone bushes in 45mm would this be correct for a '01 S3 (single unit headlight) version. Lets hope so as I may not be getting it all sorted for Monday otherwise!