random missfire but car smells

knoxie

K4OXE
Reaction score
so six this morning leave for work, get on te slip road for the motorway and bam flashing engine light, so i stopped checked vag, got codes 16684 and 16687 ( random misfire and cylinder 3) so back up on the slip road (naughty naughty) get back home but my car really really stank and lastime i have missfires it was coil packs but the engine light was not flashing but now it is :-/

any thoughts guys??

sorry about spelling ect on the iphone

Multiple misfires and the 'stink' which I assume is fuel is not always coil packs... its something that sometimes happens particularly on cold starts (also assuming the coolant temp wasn't at 90) and using a bit of throttle (as you may have been getting onto the motorway)...

If you let off on part throttle just as the turbo is spooling it can cause the DV to operate prematurely leaving hardly any air but all the fuel as the ECU thinks it has the air... more common on cars that have had the N249 bypass...

Booting it while cold is normally the culprit and the result is multiple misfires and loss of power

Not always about the coil packs :)

When coil packs go they normally just go and stay gone... if the misfire went away and you haven't had it since then its just flooded

<tuffty/>

If it isn't coil packs then I'll eat my hat

I'd had very similiar symptoms as per the thread. When any load was placed on the coilpacks one would break down and the engine management light would flicker but not stay on. At first the coilpack only broke down under load but was fine when you were cruising, as the problem got worse and the coilpack failed completley I had the horrible smell of sulphur with the cat working overtime to cope.. 1 replaced coilpack later and the problem was cured.

it was a two lane slip road from moving speed to a slow 50, i had had coil pack 1&3 go on me before but although its sounds the same (tractor) before i didnt have the eml flashing at me, it was on constantly and i did not have the smell, im at work now so when i get home il check the car to see if it has gone or not, and will keep you updated :)

Multiple misfires and the 'stink' which I assume is fuel is not always coil packs... its something that sometimes happens particularly on cold starts (also assuming the coolant temp wasn't at 90) and using a bit of throttle (as you may have been getting onto the motorway)...

If you let off on part throttle just as the turbo is spooling it can cause the DV to operate prematurely leaving hardly any air but all the fuel as the ECU thinks it has the air... more common on cars that have had the N249 bypass...

Booting it while cold is normally the culprit and the result is multiple misfires and loss of power

Not always about the coil packs :)

When coil packs go they normally just go and stay gone... if the misfire went away and you haven't had it since then its just flooded

<tuffty/>

can this also be the cause of the dreaded Pressure Drop between Turbo and Throttle Valve (check D.V.!) fault code?

(sorry to hijack :blush: )

UPDATE!!!!

so went into audi the otherday to see if my car was on recall for the coil packs, yes it was (result) but had to wait untill today for it to go in.

to cut a long story short, voorhees wont be eating his hat!!

they also done a health check, cleaned oil off my engine caused by a smal leak, and even ran the jetwash over it and clothed the inside.

very very happy with their customer service definatly is second to none!

knoxie :-D